Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the riding lessons!
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

With the rear end sliding left and right while compensating with the cross-over on the front end,
      applying the front brakes would most certainly result in you tumbling down the road sideways.
      I am pretty certain that is one thing that we all would like to avoid.

Daniel

Comment

Im primarily an off-roader/dirtbiker and have had it save my life on pavement before also. Riding my 2005 klr250, I was coming up over a blind knoll @ about 35mph, as i crested the hill a Suburaban Propane truck pulled out of a driveway in front of me. Being a dirt biker i instantly jammed the rear brake forcing a slide towards the opposite side of the road, luckily no oncoming traffic was coming. Got the bikes attitude aimed away from the truck and and released the rear brake and easily went around him on the opposite shoulder. Good thing i am an adventurous spirit and had intentionally done this sort of thing before on dirt, and was on a good style bike for this manuever. I dont know that i woulda been so lucky on a 500lb machine.

Comment

I once drove a road in rural Tennessee with had lots of hills and curves that completely hid driveways only 50 to 100 feet away. I drove at about 35 at those spots. Locals were blasting by at 60+. Very risky.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

When the rear locks up half of what keeps you upright is lost. Without a spinning wheel to provide gyroscopic force you basically have a 550lb object that wants to fall over.

The front wheel can keep you upright but since most of the weight is behind the wheel, and hinged at the head tube, it's inclined to sway and move independently of the front.

He did an impressive job of staying upright and if he had hit the front brake the rear would have certainly came around one side. The resulting jackknife would have been ugly.

If the rear locks up ride it out.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

The principals are becoming clear. Thanks again.
              sigpic[Tom]

Comment

Working...
              X