Restoring '83 GS1100GK to full touring glory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring '83 GS1100GK to full touring glory

Hey, all ~ new to these forums. I just bought an '83 GS1100GK. Literally just bought it ~ today.

The previous owner bobbed it quite a bit. He removed the entire fairing and side bags/trunk. He also replaced the handlebar, exhaust, headlight and both rear brake lights.

I have all the original parts he took off in several boxes. The bike's running great ~ guy was a mechanic ~ but I want to restore it over time to its original state (maybe not the exhaust, we'll see).

It's really the wiring in the fairing that's got me concerned. I'm not very electrically savvy, so I'd be starting from scratch. I'd rather not give it to someone else to do if I don't have to.

Any suggestions on where to start?

I did buy an original service manual and a Clymer service manual but they haven't gotten here yet.

Anyway, thanks for any directions!

~stan

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. stanzukowski,

You might find some wiring diagrams on my little website. Let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Get some masking tape and mark all the wires...

Comment

Welcome, good to see you going to be restoring the bike back to her former glory, I see Basscliff has given you his mega welcome, you will find all the information you could wish for there.
        We love pics, lots of them, lets see your bike.
        If you get stumped, just post a question, there are plenty folk here who know plenty about these bikes, no doubt they will jump in right away to steer you in the right direction.

Comment

Willing to help if I can

Where in the world are ya? I've got a few GKs and would be willing to help, or answer questions, if I can.
          As far as the loom going into the fairing - there are two plugs going into the lower left side. Did the PO cut the wires leaving you the male and female ends of those plugs? In that case you may be able to match the wire colors and solder them back together.

Can you post a few pictures of what you've got now? You'll find the people on this forum will bend over backward to help out and posting pictures will make it easier for everyone.

Good luck with the rebuild. Take it slow and keep us updated.

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of gk ownership. Enjoy it

Comment

Oh yeah lets see some pics

Comment

Okay, I'll grab some pics tonight. He really souped the thing up with new pipes and carburetor. Thing sounds like a 'Busa now. I'm taking it slow as suggested and will certainly be asking a lot of questions ~ thanks for the warm welcome!

Incidentally, I'm located in Eastern Pennsylvania ~ Allentown to be exact.

~stan

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I'm not far from you. I'm from the State College area.

Comment

Originally posted by stanzukowski View Post
                    He also replaced the handlebar, exhaust, headlight and both rear brake lights.
                    Where is the second one?

OK, so that's my 850 and not an 1100GK, but they look the same.
                    Here is an 1100GK on the left and my 850G"K" on the right.

Last edited by Steve; 06-12-2011, 12:33 AM.
                    sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nice! Picked up an 80' 1000g recently. Then I found the fairing and full dresser from a 1100gk. I'm not afraid to fab brackets etc., so I'm not afraid if they don't perfectly fit. I'm curious if anybody has any any installation guides for the GK fairing, side bags, and trunk. Then I have someplace to start other than trial and error.
                      81’ GS850G, 80’ GS1000G, 79’ Yamaha XS750, 79’ Vespa P125

Comment

Posting a question to a 10 year old thread is unlikely to evoke the response you desire. You're in the right forum though (Project/Rebuilds), start a new thread right here. Welcome and good luck!
                        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Bock View Post
                          . . . . . . . . I'm curious if anybody has any any installation guides for the GK fairing, side bags, and trunk. . . . . .
                          Nope. Will not be any such "installation Guide". On the GKs the fairing and bags and such were all factory stock / factory asssembled.

Maybe a gs1100GK electrical schamatic might be of some use.
                          Last edited by Redman; 01-16-2022, 03:39 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Bock View Post
                            . . . . . . . . . . Then I found the fairing and full dresser from a 1100gk. . . . . . .
                            For the fairing; you have the fairing AND the two mounting brackets?
                            FOr the bags and trunk: you have the mounting frameworks (comes aprts in 3 or 4 pieces)?

Would be best to have a sperate posting for your GK fairing/bags situation.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Sorry. I can’t figure out how to make a new post. Have had to re-apply for membership in the GSR a few times, but I’ve been utilizing it for the last 10-15 years. Don’t know if being a “recent” member won’t allow me to post. Also, not tech savvy.
                              I have the mounts for the fairing, the crash bars/mounts for the side bags, and the luggage rack/mount for the trunk.
                              Any advise on posting, or my query on an old thread would be appreciated
                              81’ GS850G, 80’ GS1000G, 79’ Yamaha XS750, 79’ Vespa P125

Comment

Working...
                              X