No announcement yet.

Happy 30th birthday to my GS850G !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Mr Rhodesia Smith - looking forward to your story and pics - that must have been some journey!

I actually bought all those parts here locally from Suzuki South. I am lucky in that one of the spares guys there is extremely helpful and knows the older models well. I just converted the Rand value to the equivalent of US$ in order to place it in correct perspective for the majority of GSR members in USA.

I assume you are in Jbg, right? Another member, Flyboy, is also located there and he is currently rebuilding his 850 which has done over 350 000 km IIRC.
    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

yep in gold 'ol JHB. I am now yearning for the area around Klawer and Van Ryns pass- what a pass!

thanks I sent FlyBoy a PM asking where he gets his bits and pieces around here. As per my name sake, I make plans, but it gets to a point where it is no longer possible. I have been able to get the intake rubbers reasonably soft by soaking them in a thick sealable plastic bag with a bit of petrol in. But I cannot keep doing this! Even though my bike is in good original shape and is not bodged, ( no real need to on these bikes) and was confident to do my trip with no mishaps- still would like to have in as best original condition as possible.

Comment

Hello Ben,

Enjoyed seeing your 850G again.

I did not remember that was a Hondaline fairing that you added.
        Impressive paint.
        You say the paint is original.
        But let me quess, you added the extra three stripes. ...?

Have not seen rear crash bars like that before (well, other than on bikes with side bags).

Back to cart racing? Or this not the season?

Dave

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hi Dave

Nice to hear from you again!

Regarding the paint on the tank, sidecovers and tailpiece, that is all still original. The fairing, which was made by a fibreglass shop according to a Honda 900 Bol D'Or fairing (is that similar to Hondaline?), was just "raw" fibreglass when I bought it, so it was spraypainted in the same colours as the bike. I remember that the design (shape) of the three lines on the fairing caused some headaches at the time!

We have temporarily stopped kart racing, as my son is busy with his clerkship for accountant, after having completed his 4 years university studies. Problem is that he had to go to the head office of a company which is located 1 500 km away! So hopefully we will be able to continue kart racing when he is back in Cape Town next year. Here he is (unfortunately his knee is covering that Walbro carb!).

Keep well and enjoy your riding season while our winter rains have arrived, so I am getting ready for my winter maintenance!

Ben

1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Working...
          X