'80 GS550L: Oil Light/Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 GS550L: Oil Light/Levels

I am a new owner of a 1980 GS550L, which had been garages but not ridden for about a year before I took it over.

After my first highway ride (80+ miles) the "oil" light came on after I turned the bike off via engine cutoff.

I checked the oil window and didn't see anything, so I added oil. After research I determined that I probably added too much oil as the light is for oil pressure, not quantity. So I did an oil change and filter replace.

Despite putting in the exact amount of oil dictated in the manual, I still don't really get any reading on the level window. Also still occasionally get the oil light on, but not consistent and always after killing the engine.

Any thoughts?

The oil light will come on as the engine is stopped for reasons like you state - no pressure. However, when you check the oil, are you doing it with the bike on the sidestand or is it on the centerstand?
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Bike on the center stand- after I did the complete oil change I also warmed the bike up per my manuals instructions before checking, but still nada.

Are there other symptoms I would see of low/no oil pressure? I haven't had any performance issues. Read somewhere that the sensor could be on the fritz and grounding out sometimes...

Comment

You should be able to pull it off the little nub on top of the transmission and clean it up with some contact cleaner and maybe a wire brush.

Forgot to add earlier welcome to the site. If you post up in the GS Owners site, Basscliff will be along later to give you the official welcome.

Try tilting the bike towards you on the center stand while looking at the sight glass. If you don't see anything showing up after a few seconds than push away from you and see if anything moves. How many quarts did you add when you changed the oil? I have the 81 550T and I believe both of our bikes take almost 4 quarts.
        sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Cowboy- I will definitely post in the new owners forum.

I will try the tilting tomorrow and post what I find, and I'll try to clean the pressure sensor as well.

I added 2.5 liters, which is the capacity according to my clymer manual- could that be the wrong amount? I assume if I didn't have enough oil I would be seeing or hearing performance issues.

Comment

Go here and download the service manual http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
            sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

That 2.5 liters does not include what it takes to fill the oil filter, so it will actually be just over 3 liters, which is about 3.17 quarts.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. GSinDC,

Not to worry, I found you. There are a few sections that I don't frequent, but this is not one of them. Feel free to post in the GS Owners section so the rest of the gang can say "Hi".

Yes, just keep adding a little oil at a time until it reaches the "F" mark on the sight glass, while the bike is on the center stand, of course.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS850G lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ditto what Scott said, be sure that the bike is parked on the center stand on level ground.
                  You may have a cloudy oil inspection window, where it is hard to see the oil behind it, unfortunatly the only cure for that is to pull the cover and clean it from the inside, but it will clean up like new and will be crystal clear, cost you a gasket is all.
                  But yes, if it is a bit over full, the oil will fill the window and you won't see the level, tilting the bike away from you will drop the level and you will see it come down, same if the level is too low and below the window, lean the bike towards you..........just don't drop the bike on yourself.

Comment

Ok- rode the bike for about 50 miles today, put it up on the center stand, and now I'm finally seeing a level!! Just a tad above the F mark.

No sign of the oil light yet today- guess I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted.
                      Totaly normal for the oil light to come on when the motor ain't running, as you know it is for pressure, so if you switch off, as the pressure bleeds away the light should come on.
                      Sounds like all is good.

Comment

Flyboy is right. In fact, if it doesn't ever come on I would start getting worried.
                        sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                        X