Brake light always on,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake light always on,

I was riding with a friend the other night and he noticed that my brake light was always on. I got off the bike to test it out and he was right. I also noticed that when i pulled hard on the rear or front brake the light would sometimes flicker; as in sporadic off and on.

Also, maybe unrelated...My left signal works perfectly, but my right signal flashes at a faster tempo AND triggers the left signal to faintly flash in unison.

Any thoughts?

my thought would be to fix it...

Check your front brake switch - it's located under the MC hsg on the handle bars. Loosen the 2 screws & slide it a bit until the brake light goes out. Make sure it goes on when the lever is applied only.

Good idea to completely remove it & clean it up but be carefull, there's a very small spring & copper contact in there that are easily lost...

Clean your turn signal bulbs & sockets & see if it works then...
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

faulty brake light switch or mal adjusted, disconnect one at a time and see when the light goes off. replace or adjust as required.
      turn signals sounds like an earthing problem, check all the wires and connections are good
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

thanks ya'll

Comment

Hi,

Yes, my first suspect would be the front brake switch. I had exactly the same symptoms on my bike and found the contact in the switch had slid out of place. There's a clean-up guide on my website. Take it apart, clean it up, reassemble properly and you should be OK. Note: turn it upside down before you take it apart. Small parts will fall out and get lost if you're not careful.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'm really thankful for that guide Mr. Cliff. Probably couldn't have done it without it! Now all i need is some free time...gonna have to wait till next week

Comment

Originally posted by LoopGaroo View Post
              I was riding with a friend the other night and he noticed that my brake light was always on. I got off the bike to test it out and he was right. I also noticed that when i pulled hard on the rear or front brake the light would sometimes flicker; as in sporadic off and on.

Also, maybe unrelated...My left signal works perfectly, but my right signal flashes at a faster tempo AND triggers the left signal to faintly flash in unison.

Any thoughts?
              If it's a Canadian model, the running light is on at all times along with the headlight.

Comment

Working...
              X