Fuel Tank Don’ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Tank Don’ts

I just wanted to share a bad experience I just had. While restoring my 1980 GS850GL I was working a rust inside the take. Now I think it’s important to know that the tank itself was in excellent shape; no leaks, no dents and no dings. Just needed the minor rust cleaned out of the inside and a fresh coat of paint. My plan was to soak the entire tank in a mild water/acid solution (25 to 1) and leave it for a day or two. Well, up popped an unexpected business trip and I’ll fast forward 3 WEEKS! After I returned and removed the tank from the solution, all the seams were eaten through with holes everywhere rendering the tank useless and unrepairable. Really makes me mad as I knew better.

So, if anyone has a line on a decent fuel tank for a 1980 GS850 GLT, please contact me.

Darrin
    vegasquarterkit@aol.com

What kind of acid were you using?

I've used dilute phosphoric acid with good results. It attacks rust and leaves the base metal intact. Perhaps your tank was rusty inside on the seams and the acid removed enough of the rust so it started to leak.

Some acids like HCL will cause metal to rust. Even the vapor can cause flash rusting if exposed to clean metal.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2011, 03:27 AM.

Comment

I have a tank which I believe is from an 850L. Send a PM if you want it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I got a near perfect one..no rust inside and no dents with the key. Its the bark blue tank..asking 100.00 plus shipping. This is from a 1980 GS850 GL.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Tank Found!!

Many thank to member 7981GS who hooked me up with a tank in perfect condition.

Comment

Working...
          X