GS750ES Tachometer "sticks" at 3500rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750ES Tachometer "sticks" at 3500rpm

I am new to the board and new to motorcycling in general. I bought a 1983 GS750ES recently and didn't notice the tachometer didn't work correctly until I bought the bike and got it home.
    I have a single cable running to the gauge cluster from the transmission which means I have the electronic tach. I did a search and was not able to find a thread on this subject addressing this style of tach. The tach appears to work fine at idle and until 3500 then it seems to get scared of the big numbers and retreats back down to 3000 and bounces a bit. I believe the speedometer is working properly so it's most likely not the cable, the cable is actually rather shiny so I believe the previous owner must have changed it. I am not certain how to approach this issue as I have no familiarity with motorcycle electricals. Is it still simply something 'sticky' inside the unit or could it be a faulty wire? Where is signal the tach reads referenced from?

No one?

Comment

The tach on my 85 700e can be a bit sluggish at times. I have had it apart and tried to clean it with little success. I chalk it up to the bike being almost 30 years old. These engines pull strong up to red line and really are happier in the higher revs. 3500 is just off idle. Let it live about 9k and you'll be very

Comment

Hah I'd be rather nervous running around at 9k without a tach!

Comment

Working...
        X