Carb Medic- Carb Dip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Medic- Carb Dip

Okay, since all I hear about is Berrymans Dip, I figured I would let everyone know about a different brand.

I believe it's made by Gunk, named Carb Medic.

My cousin dropped off a large paint can full of it.
    (he had to sign a waiver to purchase it)

It came with a nice dip tray as well.

I had a set of Carbs from a 82 Honda 900f, which were Horribly rusty and gunked up. These were going to be my test subjects.

Let em sit over night, pulled 'em out in the morning, and Spotless!

I also dipped some Master Cylinders that were rusted shut, and other parts.
    It worked wonderfully.

It WILL attack rubber pretty good.
    I accidentily left some O-rings in there, and the surfaces got chewed up pretty good. And i left some very thin rubber seals in the dip, and it melted them really bad. If you only leave it for a few hours, they will be okay, but if you dip them overnight, they will get chewed a little bit.

The smell is pretty rough, sort of like an ammonia/paint smell.

And if you get the chemicals on your hands, the smell will NOT come off until the next day! I tried 3 different cleaners....none of them got rid of the Paint Smell.

I've been using this Paint Can to clean all kinds of stuff!
    Its still in my garage, after months of use.

A+ product in my experiences!

Got a part number or link to where to get it? Thanks, Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      Got a part number or link to where to get it? Thanks, Ray.

I found this info on Gunk's website

part # is CC3K

I used NAPA's parts cleaner, It's LOW VOC and didn't do that good of a job. I would not recommend NAPA brand carb dip. I'll try this stuff or the berrymans next time.
      82 GS1100E
      five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
      Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Yep, CC3K
        Here's what it said on the back.

Contains: petroleum distillates, 2- butoxyethanol, triethanolamine, tall oil fatty acid, sodium glucoheptonate, water.
        (no chlorinated solvents, phenols, cresylics. Non-corrosive)

It's what the local shop carries...and it worked for me, so I'm just going to use it, haha.

Comment

I used some several years ago and had the opportunity to compare it with Berryman's.
          It did about the same quality job, but, like you said, the smell was a bit ... STRONG.
          I thought at the time that it smelled like rancid varnish.

It seems to be a bit harder to find in my area, but if you can find it (evidently you have), it does a fine job.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I bought a can recently at Advance Auto Parts. Worked great, but a little pricey. Close to $40, but as you say, it'll last a long time. I've heard of people rinsing with hot, soapy water, but I used Gumout Spray carb cleaner. Rinsed off the Carb Medic and blew out the passages and things. Carbs look new. Not a good idea to mix chemicals like that though. Good way to either start a fire or create a deadly cloud of gas as the chemicals interact. I worked outside.

Comment

I have been doing a experiment with carb dips, and this is what I found,
              Mac's sold through Napa a couple years ago was not to bad, but now not availabe
              Napa brand is crap don't waste your money
              Gunk brand works well just make sure you are well ventilated
              Berry mens works real well also, alittle rough on the hands will suggest gloves[actually for all the above not a bad idea]
              Have tried the Pine sol dip , it does work but it take at least twice as long as a carb dip. On all these dips I rinse all my carbs with hot water thoroughly after dipping and then blow them dry with compressed air.
              Also would like to add, I have been cleaning up rusted fuel tanks with white vinegar with astonishing results, takes a few days but the results are worth the wait with out to much fear of ruining a paint job or eating through the tank[ unless it is almost rusted through]
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
              X