Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instrument Cluster Question: I had to put an '81 450 cluster on my '79 850......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument Cluster Question: I had to put an '81 450 cluster on my '79 850......

As you read above, I had to replace my 1979 GS850 cluster with a 1981 GS450 cluster. First, let me explain my motives.

I bought this bike as my first bike. I've always loved the look of classic bikes. What I was not prepared for was the maintenance involved. I'm fairly basic about electrical knowledge, and even more limited on engine knowledge, but luckily I have a group of friends who are more than willing to enlighten me.

The second week I had her......I highsided her. I know, I know. I can't tell you how horrible I felt, especially since she (I refer to the bike as a she, so bear with me). I hit gravel on a curve, but I was lucky enough to get my speed down to 10 or so before I laid her down. The damage was cosmetic: Broke a spark plug cap (fixed)
    Off-set the headlight (fixed)
    Broke a mirror (fixed)
    Broke Right Front turn signal (fixed)
    Tweaked handlebars (working on swapping them to drag bars anyways)
    Dented fuel tank (Nooooo!!!! And it was just repainted!)

and the biggest, most pressing issue:

I cracked the Instrument cluster. My Spedometer section was intact and fine, as was my center gear select switch (the cracking of the casing starts in the middle) but my tachometer was not so lucky. The glass broke off, leaving it exposed, and the entire casing of right side of the gauge was broken, and the back of the cluster was broken and just overall bad. I could ride, but I had no notice of my RPMS, and I wasn't a fan that the housing was open.

I managed to get her home, and have since then done my best to make it up to her. A friend of mine works on older bikes, and had an old GS450 cluster he gave me. I was looking at buying a used OEM cluster on ebay for the 850, but money and time were an issue, so I decided to use the 450 cluster.

I pulled off the OEM set, and chased wire diagrams for both clusters, and crossreferenced them to ensure they would be compatabile. Long story short, a few hours, a few curse words and a ton of splicing later, I rigged up the new 450 cluster. I have lights for both Speedometer and Tachometer, my 5 gear select and neutral dummy lights all wired properly. I connected my speedometer line, which works and gives the accurate speed.
    My tach line, however, was on the side that had been dropped, so I was suspicious of it anyways. It wouldn't seat quite right in the housing, but when I fired her up and did a test run, my speed was accurate, but I was pulling barely 1000 RPM. the needle barely moved, but on the ride home, I read 2000 RPM at one point, never rising above that.

One other issue I had personally was on the ride back (after the new cluster was installed), the speedometer side started ....vibrating, if you will. I could hear what sounded like whining from the gauge. It was very, very loud, and the faster I went, the higher it sounded. I slowed down, stopped, then started again and it went away. This happened three times in 2 miles, so when I got home, I told my boyfriend to take it out, and see if it happened to him. Twice he rode it with no symptoms whatsoever, so I jumped on it again, and haven't heard it since. He thinks the sped cable just had to get aligned into its place in the new cluster, but I'd rather get opinions from people who have owned these kinds of bikes.

So, to continue with my original question:
    Would switching Instrument clusters be an issue, especially since I'm taking something that was set for a 450cc to now read an 850cc? Will I have to calibrate it somehow? I know my bike's top speed is around 120mph, whereas the new cluster tops out at 80. I've no intention of going above 80, but would this limit me? And I thought about cutting my losses and ordering the 850 cluster after all, but I had to do so much splicing, I don't know how the original wire harness would handle more splicing to reconfigure the original cluster. I think I may have to replace the entire tach line, to see if that will give me RPMS......

Whew, I'm sorry if that was winded, but I figured I'd give a back story to explain how I got into this predicament. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Fluffyshanyn
    Should I stick to the original 850 cluster?
    100.00%
    Should I try to recalibrate/work something out with the new cluster?
    0.00%

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. (Ms.?) Fluffyshanyn,

I apologize. With some of these screen names it's hard to differentiate the gender.

Your bike looks good in yellow.

With a squealing gauge cluster you'll need to lube it somehow. Usually you can just disconnect the gauges, turn them upside down, and squirt a little of your favorite lube (WD-40, silicone, 3-n-1 oil, etc) in the cable input holes. The needles on the gauges are not directly driven by the cables. Instead, the cables drive a gear assembly which spins a magnet inside a bell housing. The bell housing is turned by the magnetic induction and actuates a watchspring mechanism which is attached to the needle and turns it accordingly.

If necessary, it is possible to disassemble the individual gauges in order to clean and lube them more thoroughly. Use a small screwdriver and needle nose pliers and carefully remove the bezel from the front of the gauge.

Then you can remove the assembly from the housing and work on it. Then reassemble and use a punch and small hammer to carefully bend the bezel back on to the gauge housing.

I had to replace my gauge cluster after my accident. It wasn't that expensive. Keep your eye out for a good deal on Ebay.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS850G lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2011, 03:00 PM.

Comment

It's Ms. Fluffyshanyn, I suppose. That would be a rather weird name for a male, but hey, this is the internet.
      I really like the color too, its not that mustard-y in person, I swear.

I'll go ahead and lube up those components later, however do you think I'll run into an issue with the new cluster being made for a 450....on an 850? That is the question my friends are wondering, and my manual only gets me so far......

Thanks! ^-^

Comment

Hi,

Functionally there should be no issue. If the donor bike had a different size front wheel then you may see a difference in the speedo reading.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

What about for my tach? One of my friends thinks that the gears will be different, so the new cluster won't accurately read my RPMs because its not geared right.....Perhaps you could explain the workings of the tach? (Or point me to a good resource?)

I'm off to the shop to try to bugger with the turn signal again.

Comment

The tach should work just fine. It drives off the cam which turns the same speed on both engines. The only issue I see is with the self-canceling turn signals. The 850 speedo has a speed/distance sensor in it that the 450 probably won't have. The signals will still work, just won't self-cancel.

You might also try lubing the cables, and check good for kinks/dents in the sleeve.

Hope that helps.

Buddy
            Last edited by Buddy; 07-23-2011, 07:30 PM.
            09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
            83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
            81 GS650G for the wife.
            82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
            I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
            If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
            Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Well, I didn't get everything done that I had hoped I would. I chased some wires, but trying to make my turn signals work without my TCU looks to be a right pain. Also, my wiring diagram says my distance sensor runs through my TCU, so I have to figure that out. I won't lie, I got slightly lost on the diagram, especially when they show an output from my flasher unit going to my horn assy. It looks like I'm going to buy two generic flashers, one for left or one for right, and try to hardwire to it. Luckily, I have a parts bike and can pull various components that I need. I pulled another TCU, the identical part (374-1, I believe) but that one won't work either. I no longer have solid lights for my turn signals, so I have to troubleshoot that. *sigh*

Comment

Working...
              X