Leaking gas from airbox...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
    I already recommended using Seafoam once this month for another poster- I don't want to be a shill for Seafoam! Just joking!! Sure, for $10 it's worth a shot, but it usually works on clogged passages or pilot jets, not as a stop leak product. It won't hurt anything. After spending $300 on professional carb cleaning, I'd be annoyed at this problem. Run it some more, try a different brand of gas, etc. Kept clean and using stock setup, these carbs seem to run well even after 30 plus years- as far as I can tell my carbs have never been off and they still behave nicely.
    Oh yes I'am very annoyed last time I bring anyhting for this bike to Suzuki. Thanks for your recommendations Tom203 and the others. Before the seafoam ill try differnet gas station and run her a bit see if it clears up, also I wanted to apologize to Cryptid I did not intend to Hijack your post and I wont post on this thread an anymore unless to say its fixed and I will start my own thread if i have anymore questions, my sincerest apology.

Comment

Originally posted by Cafe650 View Post
      Oh yes I'am very annoyed last time I bring anyhting for this bike to Suzuki. Thanks for your recommendations Tom203 and the others. Before the seafoam ill try differnet gas station and run her a bit see if it clears up, also I wanted to apologize to Cryptid I did not intend to Hijack your post and I wont post on this thread an anymore unless to say its fixed and I will start my own thread if i have anymore questions, my sincerest apology.
      No problem. it just sometimes get confusing with two problems overlapping as others pick up. try different gas and run for a while. Let's face it, dealers ain't interested in 30 year old bikes. Carb cleaning is tedious if done right- thankfully it doesn't have to be done that often.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I drained the #4 float bowl and found a bit of material in it so I pulled the bowl, which had a bit of sediment in it, and cleaned the bowl and the float assembly, with carb cleaner. Cleaned the fouled plug and put it all back together. I choked it on startup; it fired up and ran smooth so I took it for a ride and it seems to run better than when I purchased it! I got on it a few times and the throttle response was great. Hoping to put some miles on tomorrow and find out more. I posted pics of the 3 and 4 plugs before I cleaned the carb and the 4 plug after the carb cleaning and initial ride. The plug is definitely better looking after!

Comment

Would like to also mention my issue is also resolved after reading your solution Cryptid I also pulled my #1 carb bowl cleaned it out good put it back on and gas leak gone, so I changed the oil & put new plug in #1 ran some seafoam and started getting gas at a new station 400 miles not a drip!!!!! Thanks

Comment

Well I had troubles again, still with the #4 carb. Took the carb assembly out of the bike and checked it out. I found that the #4 float didn't have the same spring feel as the others so I pulled the float and noticed that the needle valve was loose! I pulled it right out and I could see the o-ring had deteriorated a bit. I replaced the o-ring and the valve fit snugly back in. Put new gaskets on all 4 carb bowls and put it all back in the bike. It runs really good now and I learned quite a bit as well.

Comment

I just wanted to say that I pulled and rebuilt my carbs yesterday and put in all new o-rings. That solved all of my leaking and running issues. I believe it was the o-rings on the float valves allowing fuel to flow through..

I ran the bike today for over 3 hours and she ran flawlesly with bags of power, no stumbling or hesitation and nice smooth iddling at around 1200 rpm.

So once again. Do a complete strip and dip with new o-rings and likely you will solve all these pesky running issues.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
              spyug

Comment

Working...
              X