2 stroke dirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 stroke dirt

Hey guys I have an 78 yamaha it 400 (2 stroke single) comes stock with tail/brake light . Headlight . Does anyone know if I can make it street legal in oregon with some add on parts horn blinkers etc

Originally posted by 70GT View Post
    Hey guys I have an 78 yamaha it 400 (2 stroke single) comes stock with tail/brake light . Headlight . Does anyone know if I can make it street legal in oregon with some add on parts horn blinkers etc
    Ask your DMV, they will give you list of required items. Mirrors, working speedo along with horn and blinkers. How's your charging system? my honda xl350 uses ac magneto ignition and a seperate ac output for headlights. Other stuff is powered by 4ah battery kept happy with tiny R/R.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It wouldn't work in Ca., but Oregon is a bit more user friendly maybe.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

2 stroke = raw power!
        I like it
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My son legalized an '83 IT490 here in FL about 6 months ago.

We added a tiny gel-cell 12 volt battery, a $5 radio shack rectifier to rectify the stocker's AC lighting coil output to DC, added LED blinkers, LED taillight & brakelight and the necessary brake light switches, and a horn and a mirror.

Had a sheriff certify that the "VIN" number didn't come back as stolen, ans he was able to shmooze it past the FL DMV. I think he must've tickled the DMV clerk under the chin, or something...

What a turd, though. The thing vibrated so badly, it was like grabbing a 220-v power line. Got about 10 mpg, surged and bucked unmercifully at steady 45mph, and as for "2-stroke raw power"? Well, it may have been unstoppable back in 1983, but nowadays? 38 horsepower and 32 ft-lbs torque just isn't that rare. A stock XR650L will walk right away from it...

Of course, the state of Oregon will be your biggest hurdle, not anything mechanical / electrical.

Good luck with it!

Kirk

Comment

I used to have an IT175 a few years ago that I rode on the street.
            Although not legally:0
            The thing beat me to death.
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Here are the ads from Craigslist when he sold his 490...

orlando craigslist > for sale / wanted > motorcycles/scooters - by owner
              Yamaha IT490 - not for YOU, Nancy-boy - $500 (Chuluota)

Date: 2011-02-05, 3:04PM EST
              Reply to: see below

Having a mid-life crisis?

Ex-wife clean you out in the divorce?

Tired of riding your daughter's CRF230, or getting to work in your minivan?

Then maybe this is the bike that will finally let you get your manhood back!

A Yamaha IT490 that has been fully street-legalized, including a valid Florida title, ready to sign over to you.

This thing is a true beast, and this particular one is a gnarly example of the breed.

Economy?? Psshhh. On this bad boy, that brand new Clarke 4-gallon tank will get you about 120 miles, if you drive it like yer grandmother. If you drive it like you MEAN it, you'll be walking in about 40 miles.

Smoke? You bet. You could start a sideline career as your neighborhood's new mosquito-fogger.

Brakes? See Nancy-boy comment referenced above. Drums at both ends, bunky! Maybe you could drag your feet like Fred Flintstone! Or, maybe you could just stay on the gas and win the damn race for a change!!

In addition to that beautiful Florida title, ready to sign over to you, you'll get a 12-volt gel cel battery tucked up under the seat, a rectifier that converts the stock AC to DC to charge the battery and drive the headlight, taillight, brake light, speedo light, blinkers and horn. Too bad the blinkers, horn and mirrors vibrated themselves into so much dust. Maybe YOU can get 'em to last on this bad boy.

You'll also get a rolling environmental disaster - it leaks, drips, drools, spooges, and smokes it's way down the street. More oil leaks than a vintage Harley. More smoke than a badly running city bus. More obnoxious 2-stoke noise than that damn teen next door with his fart-can exhaust on his Honda Civic. I mean, when you light this thing up in the morning on your commute to work, you've got a guaranteed payback for that next-door neighbor's little yappy dog!

You'll also get a real mechanical liability. Both case halves are cracked/broken and will need to be replaced. The left case is broken where the clutch actuator boss failed. It all still works, but you've got your very own cut-away view of a working 5-speed transmission, when the failed transmission bearing doesn't deafen you. The right case is broken just behind the kickstarter boss, but fortunately, you can still kick start the thing. You just have to pull the lever back up with your boot, because the return spring broke, too. But hey, return springs are for sissies anyway!

So, you can hear the bike run when you get here, maybe, but you for sure won't be participating in the Iron Butt long-distance rally right away.

But, sometimes, growing your manhood back again needs a little investment on your part. Search ebay, complete case halves are available for about $100, all in. If it were THAT easy, ANY Tom, Dick or Alice could do it...

I'm asking for $500, and what you're really buying is that sweet sweet permission from the governor to legally ride this thing on the public streets.

But hey, make me an offer! If you want to trade something, I only get jazzed up by motorcycles that have a valid FL title and won't really require much over a couple hundred on my part to make up any difference.

Email me at kirkcheri (at) msn (dot ) com or call 407-924-2926 (8am ~ 9pm only).

Nancy-boy, YOU can just skip on down to the pink Chinese scooter posted earlier today...

Comment

And another one when the first one got flagged!!

Some of the replies I got from these ads were hilarious!!

orlando craigslist > for sale / wanted > motorcycles/scooters - by owner
                Yamaha IT490 - penance is due, sinner! - $500 (Chuluota)

Date: 2011-02-08, 10:07AM EST
                Reply to: see below

Hear me my children!

You ride a bike with electric start.

You ride a bike with electronic ignition.

You ride a bike with disk brakes, front and rear.

You ride a 4-stroke.

THE GODS OF INTERNAL COMBUSTION ARE ANGRY AT YOUR CUSHY, DECADENT, LAZY LIFESTYLE AND THEY DEMAND RETRIBUTION!!

REPENT! REPENT!

This Yamaha IT490 is your penance, you sinner!

Because of your environmentalist sins, you must be chastised with this rebuke - this nasty, smelly, leaky, smoky 2-stroke will help you achieve righteousness as it purges it's inner filth all over your boots and clothes! And it does it to the choir tune of 20 mpg!

Because of your maintenance-free lifestyle, you will be led to see the error of allowing your repair skills to get soft! This bike with it's constant vibration and crappy vintage mechanicals will challenge your mechanical creativity at every turn. To set your feet on the path to enlightenment, you will find that both case halves of the motor are cracked/broken and will need to be replaced. The left case is broken where the clutch actuator boss failed. It all still works, but you can watch the inner demon-filled 5-speed transmission, and hear the lamentations of the failed transmission bearing crying out for your soul. The right case is broken just behind the kickstarter boss, but fortunately, you can still kick start the thing. You just have to pull the lever back up with your boot, because the return spring broke, too. But the beast DOES run and will scream it's cleansing wail to all who have ears to hear!

Pay the penance and feel the IT490-purgatory cleansing your motorcycle soul!

Search ebay for comfort and redemption - complete case halves are available for about $100.

Hallelujah, O Repentant One! For your reward, you shall bask in the glow of a valid, legal Florida title, ready to sign over to you! Praise Premium Fuel, you will be annointed with full lights and battery and converted electrics to maintain that sacred street-legality! But, lest ye grow proud, thou wilt be required to struggle with blinker- and horn-killing vibration!

As an offering to support the bringer of the Good News of Combustion Salvation, you will be required to make a love offering of $500, or the best offer the 2-stroke holy oil moves you to make. A mere trifle set against the transgressions of your motorcyling ways!

Call our Hopeline today - 407-924-2926 or email our prayer team at kirkcheri (at) msn ( dot) com

And all the people said - AMEN!

Comment

That's a great ad!
                  Honestly funny.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I am mostly wanting to make it streetable just for the 15 mile ride into the woods . I have ridden it on the pavement at about 50 with pure knobbys no surging or bucking or extreme vibration . But i will say the gas mileage is horrid on dirt or pave . Also my buddy rides a xr 650 on the gravel I can stomp him everytime . I imagine on a long stretch he could run me down but not between corners on the fire roads . I love riding in the woods but looking to simplify the whole process . No loading of the truck no gas spent driving there no worries of someone screwing with your rig while your riding coming back to ckeck on your truck every 40 min sucks . I am assuming your sons bike had all good bearings especialy the headset bearings . (my handling was terrible before replacing them) Also the 80s its were a lot lighter than the 70s and a much more modern suspension geared towards jumping and long travel the lighter weight and more flexy suspension may have contibuted to the extreme vibrations . thanks for the input guys appreciated . 70gt

Comment

Working...
                    X