GS 450 Chain change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 450 Chain change

where should I order a new chain for my 1980 gs450L ? and which is a good chain to buy at not a real high cost. I'm also wondering if I hook the new one to the old one to feed it in neutral around the front sprocket, will that work or is there a better way to get the chain on the front sprocket. thanks. I'm also wondering where is good priced tires for these bikes? a new chain , tires and gas tank should put me back on the road. thanks for any help. I'm new to ordering online and know some companys will be better to deal with. This is my first thread so hello GS bikers. I put 1500 on mine this summer and these parts are a ticking time bomb. I'm not gonna ride until my new chain is on. I already took a link out to stop it from rubbing the frame, now it's out again and kinking when I have it up on the stand and roll the tire.I'm 210 and she's 170, so our big asses have stretched this old chain like a rubberband.
    lol I can pull it quite a ways off the back sprocket. not good.

First of all, welcome to the forums!

As to your chain and tyre query, where are you located? I think places like Dennis Kirk will see you right, but not sure. Guessing you're in the US...

As to what chain to get, generally you get what you pay for. DID, EK, RK, something along those lines is always good although I'm trying a Triple S this time around as it has exactly the right number of links for my 450.

Also, Suzuki recommends replacing the sprockets and chain at the same time as worn sprockets will wear a new chain very quickly.

And finally, do yourself a favour and pop the sprocket cover off when doing the replacement which will give you a chance to clean all the road grime out from behind there and make sure your counter shaft sprocket nut is done up nice and tight.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
    X