GS450TX first build, first bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air box or no air box, that is my question

I like the clean look of not having an airbox, but I don't mind it with. If I remove the airbox and go with pods; what kind of tuning nightmares am I going to have?

Comment

I'd put the airbox in there if you have one. If you decide you don't like it later, you'll have two choices for removal- A) quick and easy- cut in four pieces with a sawzall or B) remove engine and remove airbox. If you don't destroy the airbox- you can save it for use at a later time or sell it or give it away.
      Using an airbox is cheaper and easier IF-you have good airbox seals and a good airbox and a good fitting air filter. The airbox should have a metal screening in the very front.
      Not using the airbox will (likely) require "troublesome" rejetting although you get slightly more power and also some "extra noise". The airbox is better in the rain and filters stay clean longer than "pods". Pods are air filters attached directly to the carbs. If you go with pods- check out Amazon RC-1822 (best quality- K and N, best price). With pods you'll also have to decide what to do with the crankcase gases which used to be sent to the airbox.
      With pods the carbs come off/go on easily. With an airbox, not so easy, but do-able. Decisions decisions!

Comment

Working...
      X