GS450TX first build, first bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450TX first build, first bike

Hello! Welcome to my build! This is my first bike and my first build, so any input is greatly apreciated. I've had the bike a couple weeks now, but I'l start from day one and catch you up. I found the bike on craigslist for $200 went to look at it, got bike crazy and brought it home. The guy who sold it to me said it needed just a little work and it would be ready to go. Here are a couple pics form after I got it home.

I had already removed the tank(it wasn't bolted down) and seat(also not bolted down).

The carbs were only mocked in place so I pulle them too.

I can already see that this thing needs smore than a little work and that I was just way to excited about getting a bike. Now time to get a parts list together...
    -clutch/brake levers
    -clutch cable
    -start controls
    -throttle controls
    -throttle cable
    -gasket set
    -ignition side cover
    -chain
    -exhaust
    -tires
    -brakes
    -battery
    Not a bad list or so I thought... I continued with the break down armed with a repair manual. A few more pics...

More parts needed...
    -starter
    -starter clutch
    -stator
    -ignition coils
    -fuel lines
    -fuel petcock
    -and probably many more to come!
    Please feel free to point out anything I'm missing. My bidget isn't big here here, so I've been getting used parts off ebay mostly. I've already gotten a few parts and am just waiting on payday to get some more.

My plan is to get it running, then break it down and do the paint this winter. It is going to be a little cafe like and a little just plain vintage. I'll update again when I have more parts and work done.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2011, 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Welcome to the site and congrats on the bike. Looks like fun and a ton of work. The dog seems to like it too. Your list of parts is pretty long. You have experience doing this type of thing? I am guessing not since your first bike comment, etc. I will pass along some good advice I got when I came to the site with a bike that was close to your bikes condition. Sell it and get a bike in better condition. You will save money and time.

That being said, I didn't follow the advice. I spent a lot more money than I expected and had more fun than expected. I am almost finished and it has been a great time plus a ton of frustration.

Comment

Welcome to the forums!

I find the 450's are great bikes and I'm nearing completion of a full rebuild of my '82 E finally.

That long list of parts... is that because they're missing or have you diagnosed them faulty? Things like the stator I wouldn't replace unless you know it's no good.

Anyways, good luck and keep us up to date!
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks for the kind welcome. This is going to be a lot of fun and yes a ton of work. The parts list is from missing parts. I've been told by a few people to find one in better shape. The way I look at it is that I have nothing but time here. The biggest challenge is staying in budget and not killing my bank account right away.

Comment

I looked at mine this way... I could go buy a new bike, but then it wouldn't be my sweat that went into making it what it is.

At this stage of my rebuild I know pretty much every nut and bolt intimately, and some even have my blood on them

However, once I'm done, I should know pretty much how everything should be, so should something go wrong I should have a reasonably good idea of what it is and how to fix it.

If I can't, there's always the forums here

sigpic

Comment

"The guy who sold it to me said it needed just a little work and it would be ready to go" <-- did we buy our bikes at the same person? Sounds so familiar

Anyway, theres only 1 way to learn how everything works: take it apart and get the hands dirty, so you're doing a good job! Oh, and be close to a PC to look at the forum/manual

Some random advice: buy a parts bike, it'll be way cheaper than all those separate parts. Sell the parts that are surplus on Ebay

Good luck with the bike, im gonna follow the progress!!

Comment

gaskets and stuff

Today I got a gasket kit in the mail! I thought I would assemble the first time with a cheapo set, then for the final assembly use good gaskets. Any thoughts thoughts on that? Also, I'm running into an issue where I get parts but no hardware or I'm missing one blot here and there. I have a few resources locally where I could buy non specific bolts that match what I need. If I get grade 8 hardware am I losing anything by not getting "authentic" bolts and such? Also, there are a couple pieces I need and do not know the name of them. They go at eith end of a cam shaft to hold it in place. I need 2, or are these matched parts and I need to get all 4? I'm happy to see my cams have virtually no wear. My cylinders are smooth as can be and there is only a little carbon build up on my pistons. The odometer says 25k, I think it could be legitimate.

Comment

I was gifted an exhaust today! It is really close to fitting, the back tabs are just a little off. I can either drill them out of move them back. I'm told they were off an 82 or 83 gs450ga. I'm thinking about cutting the megaphone off and turning them into straight pipes. I'm just not a fan of the megaphone. Anyone know if this would cause an issue?

Comment

Yep, it's probably a noise violation and it will cause all sorts of tuning problems.

I agree with the comment about buying another bike for parts- I had to buy a GS450 last year just for the output shaft. Paid 150 for the bike, sold the shaft for 75 and used/parted out the rest of it. Heck, I gave away the ignitor for free to a member on here......

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
                    Heck, I gave away the ignitor for free to a member on here......

I see a lot of potential in that GS450. I might have a few leftover GS450 parts. Let's see if I have anything you need.

I have a throttle cable, complete carbs, and a few other small parts. PM me if you want them . I have a stator but it came from a GS1100E.

EDIT: Wow. That's quite a few missing parts. +1 on buying a parts bike if you can find one. If not, then just slowly gather up the parts, one at a time on eBay or here on the forums. My suggestion for you is to post a "parts wanted" thread on the forum and the guys may have something.

While you wait for parts, clean and polish the bike.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2011, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Not a fan of open pipes for the same reasons Rich says... sure you can do it, but you'll be up for a lot of rejetting and tuning and possibly some sore ear drums...

Personally I reckon the stock megaphones were pretty cool actually and really suit the era of the bike, but that's just me...

Given you've got a lot of rebuilding type work to do, I'd definitely leave it as stock as you can until it's running which will help you know whether it's running or not and will help others assist you in troubleshooting and diagnosing issues if it doesn't run right first go.

sigpic

Comment

I have been stuck on the build for a number of reasons, but am finally able to get back to it! I' ve just picked up a 1980 450 engine on eBay. It is a runner and I am hoping that it will bolt in without any issues. Does anyone if the engine and frame from 1980-1982 is the same. If not I will have a low mileage 80 engine up for sale soon. The deal was just too good to pass up.

Comment

Originally posted by cmwinchester View Post
                          I have been stuck on the build for a number of reasons, but am finally able to get back to it! I' ve just picked up a 1980 450 engine on eBay. It is a runner and I am hoping that it will bolt in without any issues. Does anyone if the engine and frame from 1980-1982 is the same. If not I will have a low mileage 80 engine up for sale soon. The deal was just too good to pass up.
                          You'll be right with that, all the 80 - 82's are pretty much interchangeable and I think the only difference will be the socket on the drive shaft for the L and T models compared to the E and S ones.

sigpic

Comment

Just got home with the new motor! Feels great to know I'm getting closer. That pain between my shoulder blades on the other hand not so great. I slightly under estimated the weight of this little motor. The key to lifting heavy things is to lift with just your back in a jerking twisting motion right? I'll start the removal and install this week. I think I still need a starter relay,right now there is a fuse in its place and not too sure what that's about.

Comment

Do you have an airbox? If you're gonna use one put it in there before you put the engine in!

Comment

Working...
                              X