Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here i am...

standing in a wee place in Scotland called 'Carr-Bridge'

It's a lovely we village that I stop in a lot when travelling from my home in Dunfermline to my holiday caravan in Findhorn.

My bike is parked on the other side of the road and I'm standing at the bridge waiting for a friend to meet me as we're riding back down the road together.
    I turn round and find a chap looking at my bike. He sees me and points at me then the bike.
    The unspoken conversation begins... I nod, he nods back and he pops over and says hello.
    He starts talking "Hey buddy... is that yours?"
    Here I meet a man you all know as 'Charlie G'

We had a quick chat - he's over in the UK at the moment doing some visiting.
    Good guy, really friendly and he pointed me in the direction of this site.
    Why? What bike caught his attention?
    Well I own a 1983 Suzuki Katana GSX750 SE 'pop up'
    It's a Japanese import with a pop up headlight.
    I've had her for 4 years now and she's been great.
    She gets used every day - she's my main ride, and all through the winter too.
    Absolutely great fun and wouldn't swap her for the world.

So basically, Hi Guys... i'm gonna hang out here a while

Jase

Welcome!!..
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Hi there: That is a great story about how you got here. Got any pics?

Comment

My father's side of the family is from Scotland and I had the opportunity to visit the homeland a few years ago. Wondrous country to live in, and I imagine an even better place to ride a motorcycle in .

Especially if its a pop-up Kat! To many people here that is the holy grail of classic Suzuki's.

Welcome to the site! Can we see the bike?

Comment

Welcome Jase, that's an awesome story! Charlie's a good bloke for sure, although I've never met him in person of course...

You have what I want for my second bike there too!

Any chance you can get some pic's up? Very keen to see it!

So glad you got to meet Charlie in his travels, it's certainly a small world these days!
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Jason77,

So, you met up with Mr. Charlie G., from the state of Jefferson? Small world, I guess.

Here's Charlie G. with a few other GS riders:

(Paul F., Charlie G., renobruce, Conner)

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2011, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the site Jase. Sure was your lucky day to met one of the nicest GSR members around, and there he was all the way over in your neck of the woods. Funny how these old bikes make for a real community.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Hi Jase, Sonia from Australia here, what a fabulous story. I cant wait to see a pic of your bike too. Do share!

Comment

Hi Jase, Charlie had just spent 5 days staying with me,he wanted to go to some road races so I took him round a few circuits and then to the Ulster Grand Prix,if he looked a little dazed it was because 2 or 3 days before he stood watching bikes passing him at around 160 going uphill and close enough to touch!!!.Full agreement on the fact he's a nice guy, just hope we didn't damage him too much,Johnny

Comment

It took me awhile to figure out how to post a proper picture here, so allow me.

I was leasurly looking for a place to eat, road signs and to not getting into a weck driving on the wrong side of the road when I spy a nice Katana at an intersection. Weither it be from the good attitude a vacation holiday brings or the "Hyper chat" mode left over from a visit with the nicest host in Northern Ireland, I motioned to him and played GS ambassidor. Really nice meeting an owner in Scotland and I really wish I would have had a bike with me to try out your fine roads. Didn't you say you had a friend starting a motorcycle tour company? If my memory is sound you (he) might want to let us know about it. Nice to have you follow up and post here. I wonder if I'm sometimes seen more as GS Suzuki "NUT" than a friendly fellow, when I approach some stranger with a bike. Glad to meet you.

Charlie G
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Definitely no nut Charlie, just a happy, friendly, and sociable fellow

Glad you ran into Jase, always good to see another GS'r out and about somewhere.

And Jase, nice Katana!

sigpic

Comment

I agree,Charlie is one of the nicest bloke around,i only met him recently on the GSR Rally,wish he didn't have to split early so we could've ridden more together..... Cheers...Gabor
                        Last edited by caligs; 08-25-2011, 03:40 PM.
                        Current bikes: '83 GPZ 750(shipped to Europe)and The one and only '81 GS 1000G,BOM 2/11.
                        Past bikes: '84 MZ ETZ 250
                        '84 Honda VFR 500
                        '86 GSXR 750
                        http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/caligs/

Comment

Hey guys,

sorry it took so long to get my arse into gear.
                          Thanks for all the welcomes, i know there's a whole wealth if information here... it's gonna be fun!

Just as i got her 4 years ago... christ i look rough!

Taken at an old airfield

On track at Knockhill (Scotland)

Magic!

Comment

When i get firm info on the tours, i'll defo post up a link.
                            When we met up, i was just on my way back from sampling some of the intended runs.. what a ball we had!

Next time Charlie - we'll get you out there

Comment

Love it! Definitely one of my all time favourite Zuk's is the popup Katana, and that is a nice example!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X