Repairing my 1980 GS450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing my 1980 GS450

I'm posting this mainly so I can keep track for myself so I apologize if it isn't the most entertaining reading.

I purchased this bike used 2 years ago and took it from it's garage kept home and parked it on my front porch so I could let it get rusty enough to look like a 30 year old bike.

Actually I parked it because I could never get it running right.

Initial repairs were done prior to finding this forum.

1. Replaced the battery with a new one. did an oil change. Changed rear tire and rear brake shoes (rear drum).

2. Plugs were not sparking so I replaced them New plugs only spark on cylinder 1.

3. Disassembled the carbs and checked the insides which were clean. The previous owner must have cleaned them. Replaced fuel/vacuum line.

4. I replaced the igniter with one from http://cyclepsycho.com for about $45 at this point the bike started but didn't run smoothly.

Left the bike sit over the winter. and started working on it again in the spring.

5. Replaced #1 intake boot and o-ring. The boot was OK, I just didn't know better. #2 was stuck and not replaced since it seemed OK.

Purchased a Clymer manual and started looking into what could be wrong with the bike.

5. Drilled out the caps covering the adjustment screw on the carbs. Took the carbs apart again for a cleaning. Inside was still spotless. Ordered new O-rings for the carb from http://cycleorings.com Replaced #2 intake boot while replacing the o-rings. I also took this opportunity to replace all the screws in the carb with SS hex head bolts

6. discovered that there were such a thing as air box "hoses" that connect the air-box to the carb. ordered replacements.

7. Bled the front brake line. during this process I found the reservoir was disintegrating and ordered replacement parts. Decided to order parts to make my SS brake lines from http://www.anplumbing.com/ at the same time.

8. De-greased my engine (Holy crap was it nasty) which seemed to be leaking oil from the cam chain tensioner.

9. Replaced the brake and clutch levers with new ones. Also replaced the Hand grips with Spider Slim Line SLR grips. http://spidergrips.com/ There are shorter than the stock rubber grips so some adjustment may be required.

10. I also installed a cup holder cause I was depressed about not being able to have a drink with me while riding.

Now for the to-do list:

As soon as I get the parts for the SS brake line I will be replacing:
    a) The brake line.
    b) The reservoir with o-rings and screws.
    c) The piston and cup.
    d) I'll probably clean out the caliper at this point too.

As soon as they get oil filters in stock:
    a) oil filter and o-ring(didn't change the o-ring last time)
    b) The threaded posts that hold the oil filter cover on with
    c) the acorn nuts that hold the oil filter cover on.
    Obviously I'll also be replacing the oil too

Phase three:
    a) I plan on rebuilding the carb again while I put those "air-box hoses' back in place.
    b) I plan on replacing the cam chain tensioner gasket and o-ring while the carb is off.

I'm sure there is More to go, after all this bike is just about my age and I'm starting to fall apart too!

Looks like you've gotten a good start on things. I would suggest doing a valve job next time you take things apart. If you can handle working on the carbs, a valve job should be pretty easy. It looks like you've got an S model (gs450s) by the paint scheme and fairing bracket on the handlebars, these are relatively uncommon. Happing riding!

I'm sure Basscliff will come by and give you a welcome soon...

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm putting it on my to do list. I already stared looking at whats involved, I'm sure I'll be asking questions on it shortly.
      BassCliff and Pete have both been nice and helpful already.
      This site has been serving as a wonderful reference since even before I joined.

Comment

feeler guages came in today and they got me .08mm as I asked for and .20mm instead of .02/.03mm. I am starting to loose faith in "Riders World" in Wilkes Barre, PA.

Still looking for a replacement set of mirrors.

Comment

Good to see you've started a project thread

I do like the paint scheme actually, not sure if it's stock or not though...

As to the mirrors, I'm sure something will pop up on eBay, alternatively put a wanted thread up for them as there have been some 450 parts ad's in recent times.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I think the paint is stock. hard to tell since I bought it aftermarket and someone may have redone it.

Got my SS brake line parts today from http://www.anplumbing.com/
            Ordered 8/23 arrived 8/31 shipped via USPS because it was cheaper by a few dollars.

Bagan draining brake lines, took apart the brake fluid reservoir found alot of buildup underneath it. Removed the base of the reservoir and am cleaning with brake parts cleaner.

taking pictures of step by step an will post them upon completion (or when I get stuck and need help)

Comment

To be honest I just haven't seen enough original examples to tell... I like it anyway

Good stuff on the brakes, and you may find it worthwhile to get a new piston and cup set for the master cylinder and a new seal and dust boot for the caliper depending on their condition.

They're all relatively cheap items but are reportedly far superior to the after market rebuild kits.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

The paint scheme is stock. The older GS450S models came in that color then the later GS450S's came in black with orange/red decals.

Comment

ss brake lines

if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay total for ss brake lines... im wanting to do my 450 as well

Comment

boy, what a pain it was getting the piston and cup set out.
                    Had to hit it a few times with a punch and hammer and get a better pair of ring clip pliers too.

Comment

OK, this is for single piece brake lines on the 450 only.
                      I paid $34.45+7.95 for shipping via USPS. and I have over a full extra foot of hose.
                      I ordered 4' of hose because I didn't want to come up short but I can confirm at this point you only need to order 3' as the line came out to just around 2'8" (plus the lengths of the banjo bolts)
                      Here are the parts you will need unless you have customized your brakes:
                      1x 600403 = 11.95
                      1x 600803 = 8.24
                      3x 6000031 = 10.77
                      USPS shipping was $7.95 flat rate and arrived in a week. yours should be a total of $38.81
                      You can save $2.91 by getting the uncoated line, but I would recommend that you don't skimp the money. the coating was very easy to remove and offers a bit of extra protection.
                      You can also pay $3.73 or so extra for UPS ground and get it like 2 days earlier.

P.S. I was able to make the new line in about 5 minutes. and will have to go to council bluffs at some point in next few months so if you need a hand let me know.
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2011, 06:44 PM. Reason: technical spelling =)

Comment

cool thanks man im also "Restoring" my 82 450t... i hate using the word restore cause this lil bike is in good shape just leaks some oil and needs paint and the seat reupholstered... and some other things im doing because i want. keep going strong these lil bikes are bullet proof and a blast to ride

Comment

My goal actually was to ride my bike from here to Iowa, but thats about 10 times as long as my longest ride so far so I'm a bit nervous.

Comment

thats funny man im front and live in iowa lol what parts were you looking to go... also on that ss brake line do you need a certain tool to put it all together like a crimper or is it just on end wrench
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2011, 11:34 PM.

Comment

I have court in Council Bluffs on the border of Neb. I have a court date there for a stop traveling through.

No special tool needed unless you order it too long and have to cut a foot off like I did.
                              I'll have some pics up probably tomorrow. will list the wrenches needed then.

Comment

Working...
                              X