X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, update for making the SS bake lines with pictures

#1 Measure the original.

#2 Mark and prepare to cut.

#3 Carefully cut back the plastic coating on the brake line.

#4 Put the bottom part of the banjo bolt on and the put the compression ring over the internal plastic but underneath the metal braid. (Sorry I forgot to take a pic of this one)
    #5 Carefully push the end agains something firm until the end is seated properly and you can see the plastic lining all the way around.

#6 Insert the banjo bolt all the way into the hose.

#7 tighten the compression fitting making sure that the end stays firmly seated in the hose. You'll need a 1/2" and a 7/16" wrench.

Now do the other end and you are ready to route it as the original.

Comment

ok here is an update.
      SS brake lines are done. MC and caliper are painted. Waiting on some SS bolts before reassembly. Heres some before and after on the brakes.

Comment

Also working on replacing all the screws on the engine with SS ones.
        Quite a few rounded out heads from the PO as well as ones from me

Waiting on the gaskets to take the sides off. Been working on some derusting, painting and polishing

Comment

and some degreasing, not nearly as nasty as cosmoline IMHO.

Comment

Oh and I put new shocks on the rear and have new springs on the way for the front.

Comment

What are you using for your black paint? Does it match up with the frame pretty well? Looking really good!

Comment

used Rustoleum Rust Reformer from walmart. I plan on doing the frame with it too. Possibly also covering the frame and such with another layer of regular black paint once done.
                Unless I decided to go for a different paint scheme. I saw a bike that was all neon orange the other day that looked pretty cool.

Comment

Nice work! That's really shaping up now...
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Today we worked onthe battery box. another before/during I'll post the after pics once the paint is dry.

Comment

This IS looking good, I'll have to make a point to stop back and check on your progress. i actually found this thread by searching "caliper rebuild GS450", which is what I plan to do after I finish with electrics...I'm very tempted to do the brakeline upgrade now.

By the way, what kind of shocks are those?

Comment

Wow I thought my battery tray was bad! Nicely done, looks a ton better already!

I'm putting my tray back in too, was originally going to do something funky with the battery but I had a different idea on stuff now, so stock tray going back in with hopefully a maintenance free gel battery.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor76 View Post
                          This IS looking good, I'll have to make a point to stop back and check on your progress. i actually found this thread by searching "caliper rebuild GS450", which is what I plan to do after I finish with electrics...I'm very tempted to do the brakeline upgrade now.

By the way, what kind of shocks are those?
                          Do the break line upgrade. total piece of cake, should last longer than the rubber lines.

Did you get the info you were looking for on the caliper rebuild?

The shocks were some form of generic, no markings no box. paid $80 for them delivered from ebay. I think they might be emgo. they were just a tiny bit shorter than the 'stock' ones that were on there.

Comment

more before/during

And another bees nest I think

Comment

Man you're cruising along! I wish I had that much continuous time to do that sort of stuff, I gotta squeeze as much as I can into about one Saturday a month or so unless I take some time off work.

You'll have her done in no time

sigpic

Comment

haha, one of the up sides to not having a job.
                                Plus I figure it's now or never really. I got tired of having my whole life on hold and this is the most productive outlet I have right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X