Airbox inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox inquiry

Does a stock airbox on 82 850gl have a huge rectangular cutout in the lower metal casing that faces toward the rear of the bike? And does this hole have a cover or is it meant to be open?

You can't see it well on the parts diagram, and you can't order one. There should be something commonly referred to as a snorkel. It was a sort of flattened tube that ran up the back of the airbox, and would have drawn air from just above the battery. It restricted air flow a bit ore than the open hole you have there now, so it will have some impact on the mix ( you will run lean). If you can't find a replacement, you'll probably have to monkey around with closing it off partially until you get a good mix through the entire rpm range (assuming stock jetting and the rest of the intake is sealed and adjusted).
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I've got the same dilemma with my 1000. No snorkel, just a big round hole in the back of the air box. Could some kind of filter be placed over the hole?

Comment

No need for a filter. The opening is into the lower chamber of the airbox, which is upstream from the air filter. Or are you thinking of using something to restrict air flow through the hole instead of closing the hole up a little?
        Dogma
        --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

IDK what the size you would need, but auto parts stores sell some flexible tubing that might fit. It is used for connecting the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner for preheating the intake air. It was 2" diameter IIRC. It was less than $10.
          It may be possible to use this in replacement of the original snorkel.
          Unfortunately, the site I got the info from appears to have gone kaput, so I can't tell you the exact name or part number of the tubing.

Comment

im not talking about the snorkel. its about a 3" rectangular cutout in the very bottom of the airbox that actually faces the outside towards the rear tire. it looks as if this were a stock port. its on the lower portion of the 2 pc box. the metal box, not the plastic one that the boots connect too. thanks for helping...

Comment

You have the snorkel and a 3" hole in the air box? What ou're describing sounds like the snorkel hole. Can you post a pic?
              Dogma
              --

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Sorry for wasting your time. After digging around, cleaning the years of grime off the bike, and cleaning up the wiring, i found a cruddy old thing that looked like it had been dragged behind the bike for the last 25 yrs. Definetly described as a snorkel. Just one more lost piece to my junk puzzle of GL frustration! Thanks for the info.

Comment

Lucky you. A lot of them are missing. The next trick is getting it installed, and whether it will stay installed. My dad's 850's snorkel had to have some help.
                  Dogma
                  --

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Tatratbike, the snorkel that they are referring to is seen on this airbox:

Oneliterbeater, what you are missing looks like this and houses the air filter:

Daniel

Comment

Daniel[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the picture. I had no idea how I was supposed to put an air filter in. Alas I do not have that part. Do you think fitting a filter over the round flange on the airbox will work?

Comment

Originally posted by oneliterbeater View Post

Daniel
                        Thanks for the picture. I had no idea how I was supposed to put an air filter in. Alas I do not have that part. Do you think fitting a filter over the round flange on the airbox will work?[/QUOTE]

Yes but you will have to re-jet the carbs accordingly.
                        I, or several others on here, could sell you the missing parts and it would be closer to stock
                        and not require re-jetting depending on which exhaust system that you are using.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                        X