81' GS 450t starting and idling issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Rogers View Post
    I just cross reverenced the boots with another website that had the 450T distinction and it had the same part numbers.

I'll keep you updated on the progress!
    Cool, all the 450's from '80 - '82 are pretty much identical in that regard.

The two big differences I've found so far are the valve cover bolt pattern and the way the oil seal for the clutch pushrod is retained.

The valve cover changed from a 12 bolt to a 15 bolt pattern sometime in 81/82 and the two are not interchangeable at all.

The oil seal for the clutch pushrod never had a retainer as such but one got put in at some stage, and I believe to a certain extent you can retrofit the newer retainer to the older non-retainer models, although I can't say for certain as I haven't seen the older style...

Given your symptoms at the moment (and excellent that it's running ), I would definitely be looking at your intake system to start with.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Yeah i was really having a head ache thinking it was electrical but once i got the new battery it seemed pretty clear that the real issue wasn't that.

I don't have time to do it tonight but i'm going to do it tomorrow afternoon. When those ol' obligations are done with!

Oh does anyone have pointers on a budget good quality (don't know if that's an oxymoron or not) battery tenders?

Comment

Cool, keep us up to date
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

so i thought i would change the oil since i need to wait for the boots and gaskets to come in the mail.

I guess the previous owner thought it was a good idea to have a little more oil in the engine....

I had a gallon jug catching the oil and it quickly over flowed onto the ground, then i filled a gaterade bottle almost to the top. i would guess that there was about a gallon and a half of oil in the bike total. is there anything that could go horribly wrong because of too much oil in there?

I put in the three quarts that are called for in the clymer book and it's right on the money with the dip stick.

have to wait until monday before any more bike stuff is happening.

Comment

I would start looking at your petcock because if there was that much I'd be willing to bet you will smell fuel.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              I would start looking at your petcock because if there was that much I'd be willing to bet you will smell fuel.
              I think you may have something about the petcock, but I wouldn't assume it is broken. You need to check these things and not just throw money at the bike. Ask questions before you buy stuff and do tests.
              I've wasted well over $100 on things that did not need any replacing, but I just didn't know better.

I recommend that you keep an eye on it for the moment since the PO could have done a bunch of things that would have lead to that condition that may not actually be a failure on the bike's systems. Think about that the PO may have left the petcock on prime for a long time. or just kept adding oil. God for all we know the PO used it to put his chaw spit in...
              More likely I'm thinking it was from trying to give it more gas when it wouldn't run smoothly.

Mr. Rogers, Did you keep trying to give it gas while trying to start it? Also did you check the oil when you first got the bike?

Just saying, don't be like I was in the beginning. save the money for what really needs the parts.

now to reiterate the OP's question, did the engine get any damage from having this extra oil (oil/gas) in there (oil pump failure, etc.)?
              and followup, from me, would this prevent the engine from starting or running properly (I'm guessing yes)

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Is there a reason I would smell gas because there is too much oil?

The petcock seems fine. it flows normally when the bike is running. the only time i smell fuel is when i put it on prime and forget about it on accident (only happened once and i drained a pool of gas into my driveway...).

Comment

If it is left on prime for too long or is not functioning correctly, gas can get into the engine past the carbs (floats are not designed to hold back fuel). Quick and easy thing to check since you just drained it.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by apopleptic View Post
                    I think you may have something about the petcock, but I wouldn't assume it is broken. You need to check these things and not just throw money at the bike. Ask questions before you buy stuff and do tests.
                    I've wasted well over $100 on things that did not need any replacing, but I just didn't know better.

I recommend that you keep an eye on it for the moment since the PO could have done a bunch of things that would have lead to that condition that may not actually be a failure on the bike's systems. Think about that the PO may have left the petcock on prime for a long time. or just kept adding oil. God for all we know the PO used it to put his chaw spit in...
                    More likely I'm thinking it was from trying to give it more gas when it wouldn't run smoothly.

Mr. Rogers, Did you keep trying to give it gas while trying to start it? Also did you check the oil when you first got the bike?

Just saying, don't be like I was in the beginning. save the money for what really needs the parts.

now to reiterate the OP's question, did the engine get any damage from having this extra oil (oil/gas) in there (oil pump failure, etc.)?
                    and followup, from me, would this prevent the engine from starting or running properly (I'm guessing yes)

Actually when i went out there this morning I realized that it had been left on prime from when i was working on it two nights ago! I didn't think much of it until you said that...

I did check the oil when i first got the bike and it seemed normal... but i can't really trust my own judgement as of a month ago ( I'm a novice at this for sure).

Couldn't i just pull the fuel lines on the bike and test it to see if it flows freely when it's in the on and res positions?

Comment

oh and one more thing i'm wondering..

Say my petcock is totally fine (other than obvious human error...)

do i need to do any sort of treatment to my engine in order to rid the rest of the gasoline out?

I drained it really well and even poured more oil through before adding the filter and new oil.

Comment

I think the test of the petcock is that when it is on any setting except prime no fuel should flow from it without vacuum.
                        I tested mine by taking the tank off and letting it sit for two days and seeing if any leaked.
                        I had a few drops come out in the very beginning and then no more fuel came out unless the vacuum line is drawn on. don't suck the vacuum line with your mouth since if the petcock has failed you can suck in gasoline which doesn't taste very good.
                        Good Luck!

Comment

buying these tonight, need to make sure its right.

Originally posted by Cdnpt1 View Post
                          You can get both the intake manifolds and the carb/airbox boots at Boulevard: number 5 in the airbox fiche picture. The intake boots are under cylinder head in the fiche lookup, part 27.

They don't have a fiche for the 450t so I am assuming the mechanicals are the same as the e/s in those years. Anyone have any insight on possible differences with the 450t?
                          So when i look at the diagram i see #5 and in the description below it says RH. then the #4 (or #6) has an almost the same but LH is it true that there are right and left specified rubber boots here?

I'm trying to get these her by monday so i can get the bike up and running before it's too cold.

Comment

LH and RH are different parts. I just picked them both up. Slightly different notch in the rubber. The LH one was already in the airbox and I don't want to fight with getting it out.

In 1982 'T' was a trim level. from late 79 until early 81 I think 'T' was a production run.

Look on the steering stem for your production date.
                            if it is 80 or 81 you have an 'L' trim model of the 'T' model year production run.
                            if you have and 82 it is a 'T' trim of the 'X' model year production run.
                            Alternately look up your serial number to fund out.
                            I kept getting conflicting info the first 6 months I had the bike. People kept telling me it is an 'E' or a 'T' Turns out I have an 'S' made in 12/79 which makes it an 'ST'
                            It's in your best interest to figure out exactly which bike you have. There is a lot of parts commonality, but still better safe than sorry.

Comment

Thanks a lot!

looking at these diagrams and choosing the number always seems a little difficult considering the fact that there are so many bikes by suzuki in my year alone.

I'll check it out

Comment

Working...
                              X