1980 GS450S Luggage or saddlebag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS450S Luggage or saddlebag?

I am wondering if anyone has any luggage recommendations. I would like to use this bike more, but it is hard to put things in your pockets and I feel like a bit of a punk riding with a backpack all the time, and some things just don't work well with a backpack.
    I can't find much of anything available.
    If I take a long trip (3+ days) the backpack would be insufficient for space as well, especially if I need to bring a tent.

I also wonder if anyone can share experiences with transporting long guns on their bike. Especially interested in law enforcement opinions. Pennsylvania is an open carry state, but one of the stipulations is to not cause a public disturbance. I like going to the rifle range up the mountain, but I'm guessing I might get a hard time riding down the highway with an AR-15 strapped on my back. Wearing a case across the back might be OK, but I imagine it would act like a sail and catch all the gusts of wind going up the mountain and generally be a pain in the butt while riding.
    I imagine with a luggage rack I could strap the gun case right to the bike.
    If you cover it, you are concealing it which is frowned upon. If you get stopped by an officer it would be best to at least have the ammo and magazine locked in a separate box. I always envisioned asking the cop to hold the gun while getting to the paperwork under the seat, but I bet that would be less entertaining to experience than to joke about.

If I could find one I'd get the sport option carry rack which replaces the rear grab handle, but I've never ever seen one...

Alternatively, some throw over soft panniers might work for gear, might even be able to life the seat up and lock them under it...

No idea on the gun though, not a gun fan myself... (not politically anti-gun or anything, just not my thing)...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I've got the luggage rack from mine. It's not going back on the bike and would be for sale should someone really want it. If you're looking for part #24 in the pic, I do have it... located in the US at 22601 zip code. You can see it in the my rebuild post, the first picture of the bike still loaded on the truck. It's also in the picture of parts on the floor, just a little buried under a few other parts. Overall in great condition with some surface rust. Can get better pics if at all interested. I see you're in PA. Pete, I know you're in AUS so that's a little far for shipping probably.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2011, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I am third comer here so, if apopleptic and pete aren't interested in that rack let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Strycker View Post
          I've got the luggage rack from mine. It's not going back on the bike and would be for sale should someone really want it. If you're looking for part #24 in the pic, I do have it... located in the US at 22601 zip code. You can see it in the my rebuild post, the first picture of the bike still loaded on the truck. It's also in the picture of parts on the floor, just a little buried under a few other parts. Overall in great condition with some surface rust. Can get better pics if at all interested. I see you're in PA. Pete, I know you're in AUS so that's a little far for shipping probably.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171770
          Hmmm actually that's not the OEM sport rack, that appears to be an after market one

The OEM sport rack actually replaces the grab handle and bolts in the same place, whereas yours seems to be mounted off the shock or indicator mounts there instead.

So I'll definitely pass on the after market one as I can get a hold of them easy enough over here, I'd just much prefer to track down that OEM sport rack...
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I always vote ammo boxes:

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
              I always vote ammo boxes:
              I can't argue too much with that idea, If you don't mind, can you post some info on how you mounted those ammo boxes?

Thanks.

Comment

Mounting them on my bike won't work the same with yours...my frame is exposed in the back I had a nice assortment of bolt holes to bolt my brackets to. I need some pictures of the back of the GS450 to sort out what you would need to do.

I used the biggest cans possible on mine...just keep in mind that they're not very compatible with pillions. How much storage are you trying to get?

Comment

Working...
                X