Why is oil filter cover leaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is oil filter cover leaking?

I just finished an engine rebuild on a '81 gs 450 because I ran out of oil from a bad oil cover fit. For first time running it was coming out the same place (from the oil filter cover mating surface). I will check the surfaces again but I was wondering if over torquing the 3 nuts on the cover could make this happen. I have a beam torque wrench that I don't trust for super accuracy. I'd appreciate any tips from any one that thinks they have an idea. Thanks.

'81 gs 450e
    Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2011, 05:35 PM.

Yes, big time!
    These Studs and Nuts are very delicate.

I would Install 3 new studs, because they are known to strip very easily.
    (the things that you screw the 3 Nuts on)

What happens is, they develop Flat Spots over years of oil changes, and the nut basically "floats" on the stud, and it allows the Oil Cover to come loose, just enough for oil to leak.

I wouldn't use a torque wrench on these 3 oil Nuts.
    I would just snug them lightly and just a tad more.

Then run the engine, let it warm up. Now shut it off.
    Now gently turn Each nut a little more....don't be surprised if the nuts are slightly loose again...this Is
    normal since the engine is warm this time.

I think the recommended torque is 7 inch lbs???
    Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2011, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Hi and let me welcome you to the forums.
      You should also make a thread in the GS Owners forum introducing yourself and you'll find alot of helpful people.Also I recommend adding a signature with your bike info and also here is the website of the member BassCliff who has compiled alot of useful info.

He'll probably be along in a while to offer even more helpful suggestions.
      Before you go replacing bolts, let me ask you where you got the o-ring you used by the oil filter? I've hear tell of the generic replacement that comes with the filter is not thick enough and causes a leak.
      I also found that replacement acorn nuts of the correct size still did not fit and I had to use just a regular nut in order to get them to seat properly.
      Thanks! and good luck!

Comment

Suzuki o-ring, new stud, still leaking

The replacement o-ring for the oil filter cover was suzuki brand. 1 of the 3 studs was replaced with a new one along with a new suzuki nut.

I think I'll double check the new stud to make sure it is threaded in all the way.

Thanks guys.

'81 gs 450e

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr.

You'll find some extra information about the parts/procedure in the oil change guide on my little website. Yes, take a good look at the surfaces, studs and acorn nuts. I use the cheap O-rings that come with the filters and have never had a problem. I do change them every time, though. The OEM filter cover O-rings can last through several oil changes.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you sir!

Thanks for the welcome. I'll check out your site.

I had a suggestion from another member to make a gasket out of .030 paper.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks all this site is awesome!

'81 gs 450 e
            Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2011, 08:14 PM.

Comment

put a straight edge on both mating surfaces. you may have distorted the cover. Visually inspect the sealing surface for severe gouges or debris.

check that the O-Ring you bought is fatter than the groove it is inside. This is a very common deal- skinny o ring swallowed up in a fat groove. wrong O ring diameter/ thickness wont seal even if it is tight.

Goop it up with silly cone and let it dry completely-- that is if you can't find why it aint sealed.
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

In order to minimise the risk of stripping the threads on these delicate fasteners, I now use the following procedure: wear a cotton glove or similar protection against heat, and using one hand, press the cover hard against the spring pressure so that it is tight against the casing. Now thread the acorn nuts on all 3 studs all the way by hand. Only then use a spanner to just snug the nuts up.

Previously I used to tighten the acorn nuts with a spanner all the way against the spring pressure. After 30 years this was enough to cause worn areas of thread, so that the nuts could not be tightened enough to prevent a leak.

I have now replaced all 3 studs and acorn nuts with OEM parts and using the above procedure, should be good for the next 30 years!
                1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Sounds like the only things I could think of are covered off already, missing O ring, wrong or flattened O ring, distorted cover, and dodgy studs...
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Yeah i'll drain what oils left when i get a chance and check out the surfaces, o-ring, and studs for anything funky. Appreciate the help all. Pete, your rebuild helped me immensely with my rebuild, thank you.

'81 gs 450 e

Comment

No problems at all, I'm glad to hear it helped, means it was worthwhile putting all that stuff up there

I actually do intend to finish one day soon too...

sigpic

Comment

much respect pete for the patience.

'81 gs 450e

Comment

Originally posted by semerje View Post
                          much respect pete for the patience.

'81 gs 450e
                          Cheers mate, but there are days...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                            put a straight edge on both mating surfaces. you may have distorted the cover. Visually inspect the sealing surface for severe gouges or debris.
                            Or just put cover on sheet of window glass- this is very flat and you would see any distortion.
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

o-ring slightly off groove

So it turns out the o-ring on the oil cover came out of the groove though I was careful not to let this happen. Subsequently the ring got all messed up once I tightened the cap nuts on. So I put a new o-ring in and tacked a few sides with a little bond and I think that problem is solved. Thanks all.

'81 gs 450e

Comment

Working...
                              X