So I ran out of gas....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I ran out of gas....

Well I was out enjoying a great afternoon with some friends/family, everything was good!

So I'm riding back home, and I figure "what the hell", and start blastin 75+ by everyone in the left lane. I'd rather just get ahead of traffic, ya know.

Then as I got that smile on my face, I notice something "funny" with my throttle......it's slowly slipping down and my bike is Slowing down.

At first I thought my Throttle cable was slipping loose somehow....
    Then I thought my Electrical system was dying.

Then it hit me......"I'm out of ****ing gas."
    So as the motor is loosing power I quickly yank in the Clutch and the motor Instantly dies, and I coast to a small Jug Handle off the road.

So I hop off the bike, and get ready to switch it to Reserve...only problem is...I'm ON Reserve!

Finally got my brother to drop off some gas....only a few miles from home.

It really couldn't have happened on a better day...Not many cars on the road and I was in a calm mood.

I don't like getting down to where I have to switch to reserve, but if I do I make sure I switch back before I fill up.
    Glad things worked out sound like you have a good brother.
    sigpic

1979 GS1000E
    1982 GS1100GL
    2008 Bandit1250S

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/jsrose-gs/

Comment

Ran out of gas but didja get lucky?

Comment

I'm wondering if I should drain my oil and check for gas.
        Because I coulda swore I filled the tank just 2 weeks ago...and I only took it up and down the road a couple times.

But the bike was running very rich for a while....

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
          I'm wondering if I should drain my oil and check for gas.
          Because I coulda swore I filled the tank just 2 weeks ago...and I only took it up and down the road a couple times.

But the bike was running very rich for a while....
          I wish I could go two weeks on a tank of gas. Its usualy only two or three days. I guess my carbs must be running really rich. hehehe

Earl
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I've been there already more times than I really want to. Glad you had a good day though.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              I wish I could go two weeks on a tank of gas. Its usualy only two or three days. I guess my carbs must be running really rich. hehehe

Earl
              +1 on that. It's my main transport though I jot down the mileage and gas added at every fillup. Helps me get an idea if something is going wrong with the innards. Start sucking in too much gas, better start troubleshooting!

Comment

Lucky you, Last time I ran outta gas I pushed this bike 4 miles with a 110 heat index, I slammed 2 32oz powerades after getting gas and quit smoking for the rest of the day. lol. Still dumbfounded how I got 20mpg on that tank. got waaay more after the incident but also did alot of adjusting to carbs. learned the hard way you cant slap carbs in after bench sync and go without a full sync for a few weeks to get by...

Comment

i had a running out of gas scare just the other day. for some reason my reserve didn't work. something's wrong with the petcock and i still have to check it out. but here's what i did:

i was about 6 miles from home when i started loosing power and switched to reserve. no biggy right? no return of power, i realize something's fishy. stalls at intersection. i jerk the bike towards the left a couple times to get the gas from the lower right side of tank over to the petcock. go a couple miles, stalls again.

i pull over and lean the bike as far as i can without getting off. drive another couple miles.

stalls again. i get off the bike and lean it almost all the way over to the left. get on, ride home where it stalls in the driveway.

i looked in the tank and there was about 1/2" of gas left on the right side of the tank. i may have been able to squeeze another couple miles in if i had to.
                  2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                  82 gs1100L probably the next project
                  1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                  1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                    i had a running out of gas scare just the other day. for some reason my reserve didn't work. something's wrong with the petcock and i still have to check it out. but here's what i did:

i was about 6 miles from home when i started loosing power and switched to reserve. no biggy right? no return of power, i realize something's fishy. stalls at intersection. i jerk the bike towards the left a couple times to get the gas from the lower right side of tank over to the petcock. go a couple miles, stalls again.

i pull over and lean the bike as far as i can without getting off. drive another couple miles.

stalls again. i get off the bike and lean it almost all the way over to the left. get on, ride home where it stalls in the driveway.

i looked in the tank and there was about 1/2" of gas left on the right side of the tank. i may have been able to squeeze another couple miles in if i had to.
                    I actually thought about that.

And how nice it would be to have all Left turns on the way home!

Comment

I regularly run down on reserve, that is what the gas gage is for ainte it?
                      I gotta push hard to do less than 50 mpg. on Suzie Q. Farthest that I have gone with her is 176 miles, on a 3.5 gal tank with about 2 tenths gal. left.
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Working...