Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Coils GSX400E 1983?

I am not able to get a spark.

I have done a lot of the tests that have been suggested to others with similar problems. I have also replaced the ignitor with a used one, but no luck so far.

Tonight I tested if the negative feed to the coils where shorted, which they turned out not to be. But then I tested for connection between the negative terminal on the coil and GND (neg cable disconnected, pos cable connected, no battery), and found connection. Is this normal?
    Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2011, 06:02 PM.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. JHN,

Check the electrical section of my little website for troubleshooting tips. Seems I'm a little late with this, sorry.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Turns out to not be the coils

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I have done some more testing tonight, and it turns out to not be the coils.

I have bypassed the wiring harness for the Ignitor by connecting it directly to the battery, and wired the coils directly to the ignitor. Was able to get a spark by using the 1.5 battery test. Will do more investigation tomorrow, but it looks like the problem can be the wiring harness or one of the components connected to it.

Comment

Working...
      X