Chain tension all out of whack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain tension all out of whack

Hey, fist time posting, ive consulted the site a few other times and found what i was looking for in the forums. i have had no such luck this time.

i have a 1978 gs750 (not E model) and i noticed my chain dragging a bit. so i went to adjust it and as my wheel turns it gets super tight and some degrees later its very loose. i have the tension-screw-dealios even as far as i can tell, i lubed the chain up Very well. don't know what to do. consulted the manual. has nothing on the subject. im lost please help!

Hi and welcome aboard.

Your chain is either very dirty or, most likely, it's worn out. If it's a non o ring type you could give it a good wash in diesel and then a lube and see if it's any better. Don't do that with an O ring chain - you'll ruin it (though it'll be worn out anyway).

If you replace the chain then change the sprockets at the same time (get a kit). Otherwise the parts won't match and they'll all wear out super fast.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

ok thanks alot ill try that. how do i know if its an O ring type or not? im not familiar with the difference. and yea my chain is pretty damn dirty so id like to just give it a scrub before i bought a new one. thanks for the help.

Comment

Have a look at :

The gap between the inner plates and the outers is where the o ring sits.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Your chain may be worn out, but it sounds like your sprockets are too,
          Your chain is riding high up on the teeth and as the wheel goes around, it's gets tight, then it drops down lower on the teeth where it's suppose to be and your chain loosens up. Look at your sprockets and see just how worn they are, about the only thing you can do once they get very bad is replace the whole chain, spockets with new ones. Otherwise you could damage your transmission, bearings if too tight, or throw a chain if it's too loose.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

ok, so i was looking up a chain&sprocket kit for a 1978 gs750 C and i cant find it on bikebandit. What is the best GS resource for parts that you guys have found?

Comment

If you are in the US probably Z1 enterprises?
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

You won't find a kit per se so you'll need to buy each individually. Z1 is a great place to start but so is Bike Bandit, G&S Suzuki, and a few others.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

thanks everyone for the help.

ok so here is where im at. i have

KL12-8097
                  Cam Chain - EK 219H 120 link

now im not sure what sprocket will work for it.

630 (JTR818 series) 42T Rear Sprocket
                  630 (JTR818 series) 41T Rear Sprocket
                  etc. anyone know?

im assuming it would say in the manual. (is being shipped to me at the moment and is 4+ days away) and the best i have is a 1982 gs550 manual.

Comment

Originally posted by kb_air View Post
                    thanks everyone for the help.

ok so here is where im at. i have

KL12-8097
                    Cam Chain - EK 219H 120 link

now im not sure what sprocket will work for it.

630 (JTR818 series) 42T Rear Sprocket
                    630 (JTR818 series) 41T Rear Sprocket
                    etc. anyone know?

im assuming it would say in the manual. (is being shipped to me at the moment and is 4+ days away) and the best i have is a 1982 gs550 manual.
                    A cam chain is for the overhead cams, it's not the transmission drive chain. I couldn't even give you a clue about the rest, all I have are shaft drives.
                    Look on this site for manuals and a whole lot of other info: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
                    He's basscliff here and he'll also give you a big welcome aboard.

Comment

Your cam chain is for your engine, this is not to be confused with a drive chain, unless you need that also.

You could count the teeth on your sprockets and the links on your chain,
                      don't know what size chain, maybe I can find it.
                      sigpic
                      Steve

Comment

jeeze, i dont know why i didn't see that. thanks for the link. ill post when i have something relevant! thanks a bunch.

Comment

Front sprocket 15 teeth:

Suzuki motorcycles and scooters are going from strength to strength. If you own one then look no further than Wemoto to get all your motorcycle parts online.

Rear sprocket 41 teeth:

Suzuki motorcycles and scooters are going from strength to strength. If you own one then look no further than Wemoto to get all your motorcycle parts online.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

I strongly recommend that you take this opportunity to convert to a 530 chain and sprockets. Slightly less unsprung weight and lots more variety in chains available. Call Z1Enterprises, they have all the conversions done for you. The front and rear sprocket teeth counts and the link count will all be different.
                            Best of luck.

Comment

I think you have a 96 link 630 chain. If it is that's a big chain and getting increasingly harder to find. There still may be one left at RK America for
                              $68. with 98 links, you'll have to shorten it.

This is a premium XW chain, rated for 1,400cc bikes. You can pay upwards of a couple hundred maybe more bucks for a comparable chain elsewhere.

Also, if you don't know there's a GS750 "service" manual on BikeCliff's Website: It may have all the info you need.

sigpic
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X