No announcement yet.

Chain tension all out of whack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use chain wax in a spray can. Its mainly to keep the chain from rusting, and minimize wear on the touching surfaces. O-ring chains are permanently lubed internally

Comment

Originally posted by kb_air View Post
      cool, thanks much! is 10-40 oil thick enough to lube an o-ring chain? or should i go buy thicker.
      Please, please do not use motor oil on your chain. use either a chain wax ($15) or use the DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Dry Wax Lubricant from Lowes ($6). Both are effective.

Comment

+1. Never heard a bad thing about the Teflon spray.

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        use the DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Dry Wax Lubricant from Lowes ($6).

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
          Then again, being a GS, it will probably be loose anyway....
          I wish .... I broke my 1/2" breaker bar trying to remove mine! Impact gun took in off in seconds though.

-Dvae
          82 GS1100E
          five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
          Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Gettin it on!

ok, chain is in. is there anyway to seat a rivet style master link without a rivet press? whats the best way to do it?

Comment

It's almost impossible to do without a press. The pins will push out if you pound on them. When I did mine ,I laid the chain on a concrete floor and riveted it with a center punch. I then removed the swingarm to install the endless chain. As stated earlier you can check and grease your swingarm bearings at this time as well.

Comment

conclusion

ok, so i ended up putting the sprockets on myself and just took it to my local bike shot and had them rivet my link in. looks good, works great. thanks alot everyone.

Comment

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Don't forget to clean, check tension, and re-lube every 600 miles or so. (Especially important for the first 600, as the parts break in)

Adding your location in user cp is also a good thing to do. Had you been close to me, I would have brought my riveter over for a beer or so.

Go put some miles on that thing!

Comment

Working...
                  X