Idea's as to what went wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idea's as to what went wrong?

Please try to come up with some logical explanations as to what happened.

I was off to the Suzuki store as they were the only ones within 30 mile radius that had 4 of the NGK Iridium spark plugs that I wanted for the GSX. (DR9IEX. Stock #4772)
    Cruising along at about 70-75 in the fast lane, Goldy just quit running!
    Even KNOWING that the fuel tank was full, I instinctively hit the prime setting on the petcock. Still dead!
    As GOD was looking out for me, the entire 4 lanes of traffic behind me zipped by without killing me and I made it all
    the way over to the right shoulder.
    After a few minutes to let the carb floats fill, if that was the problem, it started right up! But, it was blowing some blue/white smoke now. :???:
    When I went to let the clutch out, it bogged down and died. After several attempts to get it running enough to get off the exit ramp,
    I ended up pushing it the 1/4 mile to the nearest parking lot.
    With a friend coming with bike trailer, here she sits:
    (new tag for riding game, in front of furniture store. )

I have a couple of fuel tanks to get out to fellow GSers today and will start inspection proceedures later.
    Yes, I will start with pulling the plugs.

Daniel

Plugged vent hole in the gas cap caused the initial fuel starvation and then all the throttle wringing on the side of the road has fouled the plugs?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Blue/white smoke reminds me of when the gearbox FUBAR'd on a car we once had. You say it bogged and died when you let out the clutch? Your issue might possibly be gear related as well??

Comment

You should have settled for "standard" plugs.

This is proof that the expen$ive Iridium plugs are not worth it.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Blue smoke. I don't like where this is going. If that's burning oil, there aren't too many ways to get a lot of oil into the cylinders.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Don't panic about the smoke at the moment. If she isnt /hasn't been running well one or more pots will be running rich and rinsing the bores.

I would look at the simple things first. Fuel vent or tap is the obvious start or a dodgy connection in the electrics. Clean the plugs and get it running properly (if you can) and see if the smoke just disappears. Plus have a sniff of your engine oil - could be a bit of petrol has got in there and turned it in to.... - well something that slips past the rings and burns.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thy petcock is surely dead.
              I use to laugh at petcock nazis and now I are one.

A rapid death and a fairly quick recycle time has meant petcock for me in recent weeks.

I also have a pronounced religious belief in the need for new hoses for vacuum and fuel but then we are getting into dangerous ground.

Comment

Had something similar happen on my 79GS850. Was running down the freeway around 80-85 and it felt like it was running out of fuel. Switched to reserve No go.. Was barely running. Got some crap/water in the fuel had to do a quick carb cleaning

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  You should have settled for "standard" plugs.

This is proof that the expen$ive Iridium plugs are not worth it.

LOL! Have you tried to replace the plugs on a 1127 engine?
                  My camera refused to take pictures of the fun...
                  Anyway, the stock plugs are $5.70 each and the MUCH BETTER Iridium plugs were only $8.00 each.

Daniel

Comment

Petcock and the engine is full of gas.
                    My guess but you'll have it figured soon enough.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

??

Yes, could be some water in teh gas but more likely something plugging the vent in tank as well.
                      Now, why resister plugs when there are already resisters in the cap?
                      grg
                      sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                      2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                      Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                      '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

After getting the GSX out of the way, I did a little initial inspection of Goldy.
                        Petcock works wonderfully, no water in a float bowl...
                        Apparently there was a fire going on in the air-box that fused the boots shut!
                        I'll have some more time and try to take pic's of the carnage tomorrow.
                        Looks like Goldy is going to be wearing pod filters real soon, tomorrow.

BTW, the air filter was not touched or even singed.

Daniel
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2011, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Some of the carnage:

Being choked to death explains the immediate shut down but,
                          the cause of the misfire is yet to be determined.
                          None of the molten rubber made it into the intake manifolds or intake tracts.
                          I have put over 3,500 worry free miles on it to get to this point.
                          Not even a hick-up when it quit running. Just shut down.

Daniel

Comment

Congratulations!! You have just shown me something I have never ever seen before.
                            Now the question is, why?

Comment

Wow. I was not expecting that at all. Seems like about the only way fuel could be ignited back there would have been a backfire (no pun intended).

Comment

Working...
                              X