No announcement yet.

Idea's as to what went wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have seen this twice before on 1000Gs ....and you were lucky as you still have most of the bike left. I've got a photo somewhere of the last one that caught fire in the airbox - if I can find it I'll post it and you can see how lucky you were.

However, both those bike caught fire in the garage and I put it down to dodgy float valves. Could be the same reason on your bike I suppose but less likely. I guess you didn't have any problems with it spitting back?

Edit: 3 1000Gs - just remembered one for sale at Netley in 2009. Guy wanted £300 for it - needed about £1k spent on it. That was also a garage casualty
    Last edited by hampshirehog; 10-11-2011, 02:07 PM.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
      Wow. I was not expecting that at all. Seems like about the only way fuel could be ignited back there would have been a backfire (no pun intended).
      Not necessarily - fumes from the airbox being set on fire by a short somewhere near the battery. Airbox full of fuel = kaboom.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

You said none of the melted rubber made it into the intake tract..but i still would do a full Berryman soak and reset the float levels. The one air jet and one slide look at least coated in some goop.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Just got back from picking up another 50 carb allen bolts and 25 intake manifold allen bolts.
          The carbs are getting a thorough cleaning and jet changes for the pods.
          The intake manifolds are getting new O-rings just because.

More later...

Daniel

Comment

Wow! That's a first for me too. Sure glad your bum didn't get singed.
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Funky stuff…

So, fuel mixture filled the airbox and ignited.
              Blowby gas from the crankcase, too much means worn cylinder walls or burnt through piston top.

Carbs flooding, that can happen.

Ignited by a backfire, or a hot valve.

Some basic things to check:
              Compression test
              Float levels

Bill
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Wow Daniel!

I'm happy you survived that little incident. I think I'll go home and clean my airbox.

I wonder what ignited the fumes in there? It's fortunate that the fire didn't spread.

Take care,

Cliff

Comment

I have mentioned this before and doubt that anyone caught it.
                  So, with a friend holding the camera, I can show just how easy it is to remove carb
                  float pins without breaking the stands.
                  Of course, THIS ONE had to be difficult. Normally, they just pop out and back in.

Daniel

Comment

I use that method too, but I like to support the post into which the pin is pressed. The one with the head end of the pin. I just hold it with the hand that doesn't have the center punch in it. Don't slip though; it hurts.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Nice techique. I'm going to have to get one of those punches now.

cg

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                      I have mentioned this before and doubt that anyone caught it.
                      So, with a friend holding the camera, I can show just how easy it is to remove carb
                      float pins without breaking the stands.
                      Of course, THIS ONE had to be difficult. Normally, they just pop out and back in.

Daniel
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g
                      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Made a little progress on the carbs. on Goldy.
                        Started out not looking too terrible...

Too cheap for new ones so it was time to fire up the fine wire wheel on the die grinder.
                        With some new O-rings from Robert Barr of course!

The K & N filters are cleaned and air drying over-night.

Took the GSX for a shake down ride again. After finding difficulty getting it lean enough at idle,
                        I found the UNOPENED BAG of pilot jets that I thought that I put in the carbs!
                        So, it must have the 40's in it. Duh!

Anyway, once you get past 3-4,000 rpm, hang on for dear life!
                        So those carbs are coming back off after this one is finished.

Daniel
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2011, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Interestingly enough, my intakr boots also look like they caught on fire at some point. They didn't completely close off like that, but it is very interesting that this issue isn't necessarily unique to your bike...

Comment

Got the carbies together with improved jetting for the pods.
                            Don't look much different as I didn't feel like spending any time making them look pretty.
                            I prefer to ride rather than polish and paint and wait.

Short video of start up while it breathes a little excess K & N filter oil.
                            I let them soak for about 2 hours while I changed the plugs, gapped them to .028 (.030-.032 out of the box), put anti-seize on the threads,
                            changed the oil and filter (1 quart Valvoline racing 20W-50 Syn., 1 quart Valvoline 20W-50 Syn., and 2 quarts of Rotella 5W-40 Syn.)
                            As Winter is just about here and I ride through it, I went with the thinner oil blend.

As they say, CV carbs just do not work with pods.

Daniel

Comment

I like the idea of a spring-loaded punch for the pin removal.

I will have to try to remember to get on next time I am at Harbor Freight.

What I usually use is my 6" Channel-Loc pliers. Opened fully, they are just wide enough to straddle both legs. The jaws will be offset slightly, put the lower jaw over the end of the pin and squeeze gently. It will pop the pin out a couple of millimeters, just enough to get under the head with the wire cutters and pull the pin out.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Daniel? Better but a stock airbox on
                                That sounds like crap!
                                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                                X