Just need some Stator conformation!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just need some Stator conformation!!!

OOoookaay, so i have been having some trouble with the charging system on my 1978 gs750 i took a volt meter and while running read exactly 12 volts on the battery, (11.95 shut off) i just bought a tested rectifyer so i know thats good.

There are three wires that run out of my stator and into the rectifier. i can only get an excess of 2 volts jumping the voltmeter across any two of the three. (i did this because i dont know what is what, also im not exactly sure if those are the correct wires, but i am assuming they are, i will list other symptoms to make sure it sounds like a stator issue without basing a diagnosis solely on these volt readings )

now i know the stators are notorious for going bad in these things, i just want someone else to confirm this before i spend that kind of cash getting a after market one.

other symptoms:
    when driving with headlight my ride spits and sputters, runs like ****.
    battery obviously doesnt charge
    when running at night my headlight flickers.

any ideas and help is appreciated! my second post by the way. my first was a success, you guys rock.

sorry if this is a reposted question.

Hopefully, you noticed all that stuff about charging system health in your megawelcome from Basscliff (if you got one). Follow the tests there to isolate the problem. If this bike has a seperate rectifier and regulator, this is probably a good time to replace with a combo R/R and skip testing the rectifier. Honda style R/R's are still cheap.I just put in my 30 year old spare one and it works perfectly.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

When you check the stator IT IS AC voltage

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
        When you check the stator IT IS AC voltage
        ahhhh, well ok. i went back and rechecked it. idling normally i get about 38 and revving it up i get about 58. sooo. what the hello.

Comment

If the stator checks out O.K. (sounds like it does) then you are ready for a R/R upgrade. Most favor the Honda Shindengen units.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. kb_air,

You'll want to go through the Stator Papers and all of the supporting documentation in the electrical section of my little website. You'll probably want to ditch the separate rectifier and regulator units for a more modern integrated r/r unit. There is a list of compatible units on my little website too, along with wiring diagrams.

All three legs of your stator must be equal in the AC output. All three legs should also have equal passive resistance measurements. None should have any continuity to ground. It's all in the Stator Papers and the extra articles on my website. Keep us informed.

Have I done this yet?

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X