No announcement yet.

1983 Katana 1100 Race Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be cutting weight in the spring no doubt. I wanna get down to 160.
    Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    Btw when you get into cutting weight, lemme know. I've a machinist buddy/oldschool race builder buddy who can make ya some sweet chit on the cheap to cut weight. Drilled axles, billet 7075 spacers to replace steel, even one off billet or magnesium braces (but Mag costs bucks...worth it but bucks)
    Little stuff would be affordable and help out a little at a time.
    The guy knows is stuff. Used to build/race in south Africa. Has a Bimota KB3 (prolly the only one in the states), a real rickman Honda, etc etc. His KB3 has carillo rods, cosworth pistons, yosh cams...all built himself. It SCREAMS.

Comment

Originally posted by D Nuts View Post
      Purses are only for the girls up here in Vintage. Just a shinny trophy and I doubt I'll be getting one, but my smile will be just as shinny when it gets done and I'm on the grid.
      Ya got the right attitude already. I just figured there'd be at least a lil money in it to keep the grids full/bikes on em. Etc. Guess not . It's a sport of passion. Lol.

Comment

anyone know of anyone who has converted with the stock upper to superbike bars and where they found the longer lines? thnx much

Comment

Just another GS1000 build post to read

I found this post about a GS1000 race bike build, might be useful for you:
          Genetic engineering of an extinct species

search for: Craig's GS1000 racebike
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by D Nuts View Post
            anyone know of anyone who has converted with the stock upper to superbike bars and where they found the longer lines? thnx much
            In Europe ABM has many superbike upgrade kits.
            Motorcycle accessories with German brand quality - to buy online: Wide range of ergonomics motorbike parts | directly from German manufacturer | ab-m.de/en
            sigpicJohn Kat
            My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
            GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

I'm running a bike in NZ built to similar rules to yours. I'm running GSXR wheels (3.5 front, 4.5 rear) with custom cast iron rotors (originally used Yam XS1100 rotors to get 300mm diameter), Brembo 08's, GS 1000 forks with emulators, GS1100 swing arm, 520 chain and sprockets, GSX1100 triple clamps to get better off set and sufficient clearance for calipers to mount, Ohlins way over stock length to get better front geometry (originally used Koni), and a bunch of other stuff. I am using the stock GSXR rear disc but have spaced it from the wheel for clearance and fabricated another mount and torque arm.

This is a reasonably common build in Australia and NZ, although many cut the steering head to sharpen the fork angle instead of raising the rear as I have. I am considering doing the frame mod to get more weight on the front wheel as it has washed out a couple of times. This was a common problem back in the day when they were be raced as stock bikes.

I am currently 120 and 180 Pirelli slicks which are working great. I have only braced the frame at the steering head but need to do more in the swing arm area.

Best of luck and enjoy the build.
              • Suzuki GS1100 for racing
              • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
              • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
              • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

GSX1100 triple clamps to get better off set and sufficient clearance for calipers to mount

My mistake. that should read GSXR1100 triple clamps.

You will need to get adaptor plates for the calippers, spacers to adapt the 17" wheels, and a bunch of other stuff.

Find someone with a lathe and milling machine and the skills to use them, and make them your best friend.
                • Suzuki GS1100 for racing
                • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
                • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
                • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

If you are allowed later forks up to 41mm I would be looking at the GSXR1100 forks from about 1990... The triples are a bolt on (you need to weld/bolt some steering stops on possibly - not sure how they are on the Katana but I needed some on the 750).
                  The lower triple is also already setup for a steering damper.

You might also look at YZF forks, I think they are 41mm & RWU too... must be other bikes out there. Either get cartridge emulators or at least the newest tech you can get...
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    If you are allowed later forks up to 41mm I would be looking at the GSXR1100 forks from about 1990... The triples are a bolt on (you need to weld/bolt some steering stops on possibly - not sure how they are on the Katana but I needed some on the 750).
                    The lower triple is also already setup for a steering damper.

You might also look at YZF forks, I think they are 41mm & RWU too... must be other bikes out there. Either get cartridge emulators or at least the newest tech you can get...
                    Easiest route to 41mm forks would be GS1100GK forks and triple. That's bolt up and go. Not fancy like the gixxer with anti-dive but if he's allowed emulators he can make a damn nice set of forks. Besides I don't think I'd want antidive anyway if you trail brake to the apex. Let the fork compress to speed up the steering a little. GK forks would also fall just inside his model year limits if it applies to forks...

Comment

Working...
                    X