No announcement yet.

Actual carb removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have a digital camera, take a couple of dozen photos as you go. Don't rely on memory alone. You'll be glad you did when you start putting it back together.
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Quick update, with pictures to follow when I can post them (not at home right now):

The carbs are off, disassembled, and taking turns in some carb-dip as we speak.

I had a friend over with more experience than me who helped extensively. After getting the carbs out and disassembled, I noticed a huge crack in one of the airbox intake boots. We went ahead and popped off the air box, filter, and intake. I think since I'd have to replace the boots, and likely the box itself for reasons stated previously in the thread, that I'm going to go ahead and make the switch to those air filters.

We also had to snip one of the fuel lines because it was so old it wouldn't budge.

Right now the biggest question is probably what am I going to mount all the electrical to since the airbox system is going to be gone.

Comment

Hey, also, I was going to double post the above in my welcome thread, but I can no longer find it. Are those removed as they get older? It probably hadn't been updated since October. Thx.

Comment

If you're going to go with pod filters on your CV carbs, you need to do two things if you ever want to get it running close to right:

1) Use QUALITY pods! APE or K&N, no Emgos. The former are reputed to be equal, but APEs are much cheaper.

2) Get a Dynojet jet and needle kit!

What would really be suggested is to go ahead and get it running right with the stock airbox, then go to pods. I looked briefly but did not see - what is wrong with your current air box (besides boots; I may have some workable ones you could have, BTW)? Perhaps you could find an eBay replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
            I looked briefly but did not see - what is wrong with your current air box (besides boots; I may have some workable ones you could have, BTW)? Perhaps you could find an eBay replacement?
            Yeah, I think that info was covered in my welcome thread, which appears to have bit the dust due to inactivity. Basically, one of the last two previous owners drilled a hole into the airbox so he could blow carb cleaner into it rather than properly clean and rebuild the carbs. That and the giant crack in one of the intake boots could possibly be the cause of a host of issues the bike was having.

I had read up on replacing it with pods a bit before. Your tips jostled my memory. Remembering the dyno jet kit makes me think you may be correct that it's just best to replace stock for now. I really just want to get it running properly. No need for big mods just yet.

Comment

Alpha-sports parts cross-reference says the assembly from the following bike should fit:

1981 SUZUKI GS550LX - AIR CLEANER
              1981 SUZUKI GS550TX - AIR CLEANER
              1982 SUZUKI GS550LZ - AIR CLEANER

Didn't see any compatibles on eBay right now on a cursory glance.

Comment

It hasn't been mentioned but when the carb boots get stiff with age it helps to heat them up prior to reinserting the carbs. Heat will soften them up and make them pliable again and the perfect tool for this is the electric paint strip gun. These are available from most DYI stores these days and are getting quite affordable at $20 or under. Like a hairdryer on steroids they can burn so becareful.

Once the rubber is hot it will get soft enough to insert the carbs but it also helps to use some silicone lube or even WD40 to help. You can do this with both the manifold boots and the airbox boots just be careful not to burn them or you own fingers.

Another good tool for carb insertion I find is a ratchet (tie down) strap. If you put the strap around the head and over the airbox side of the carb, you can position the mouth of the carbs into the manifold and ratchet them into position. With warmed boots and a little lube they will pop right in. As the others have mentioned make sure you fix your throttle cable and choke cable (if there is one) to the carbs before inserting them.

Each time you have carbs in and out you will find it is not really hard and your speed will improve. On a good day I can get them out in about 10 minutes now and maybe even a little less putting them back in. There is a lot less swearing going on too

Good luck with it and let us know when you have it sorted.

cheers,
                Spyug

Comment

Update on not much progress

Hey guys,

Just wanted to post an update on what little progress has been made. This is more a result of other commitments than anything else. I'm anxious to get her running for obvious reasons...or should I say seasons?

So last I posted I think I mentioned we removed the carbs and disassembled them. Well, there were a few things I didn't mention, so here is where progress is currently at:

- The pilot jet was stuck in carb number four. I recruited a mechanic friend to take a stab at that and with application of some heat and tools I don't own, he was able to remove the little bastard.

- There is another piece, a rubber stopper from the looks of it, that is missing from one carb. I believe this was lost in disassembly. Without Nessism's guide in front of me, I can't tell you what part it goes to.

- Lastly, I do believe I need to replace a few of these o-rings, but I have yet to order the o-ring kit.

- Then there is still the airbox with the hole drilled in it, the one cracked intake boot, and the missing foam for the air filter.

- Oh, and I may as well mention that we have to replace a hose that we cut because it was so aged we couldn't remove it, even with plyers and all the force we could muster.

I know I promised some pics, and there will be a few posted soon.

edit: Oh yeah, part of the point of posting the above was to ask, any good recommendations on where to replace that jet? Should I just replace all four with some aftermarket ones? Advice? I'm in Ohio if anyone knows anywhere local, but I'm more than happy to use the web as well.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2012, 09:34 AM.

Comment

The carbs just after removal from the bike

Float and bowl assembly

View of bowl grime

Pilot jet

Comment

A few more pics

Here are a few more pics of the ongoing project.

Giant crack in intake boot:

Hole drilled in the airbox by a lazy former owner:

Air intake system disassembled:

The girl with all her insides torn out:

Comment

I'd just get a piece of plastic, and epoxy it over the hole. Is the pilot jet damaged ?
                        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                        1983 GS 750

Comment

38 is the rubber plug, and 57 is the pilot jet. About 11 bucks for both. Link below. I assumed you are a Z model.

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                          1983 GS 750

Comment

Re: The jet

Yeah, it was damaged before we even got our hands on it. It had been stripped by the previous owner. Then my friend and I probably made it worse, although we honestly never could get a grip on it. So it ultimately got drilled out. I don't think I would have wanted to reuse it anyway due to the stripping, but now it's unusable. I'm at work and it's at home, so I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure it has a nice big hole drilled in the center of it.

Re: The airbox

You know, my friend recommended that as well, and I forgot all about it. I believe I probably will go the epoxy route.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Warning, they are VERY expensive.

I got them at Big Lots. The 6-place tins come in a package of two for 99 cents. I got two packages, so it was about $2.12 with tax.

(Yeah, there are more than four tins in the picture. I liked the idea, so I went back and got more.)

I simply bogarted an old steel muffin tin from the kitchen for this work. It has 12 cups (3 x 4) so I can sort carb bits by cylinder. Of course, it stays in the garage to avoid the risk of Berryman flavored cupcakes . . .

Comment

More pics

Here is the piece with the missing rubber stopper, compared to one from carb 2 that is in tact:

Cleaned up carbs!

Comment

Working...
                                X