No announcement yet.

"Goose" My 1980 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Orange county soccer mom sipping her frappuccino and talking on her Iphone will be the reason I go down. Not my riding skills, lack of rear brake, or front brake failure. The hills are a good point. Ive encountered this. Luckily I can count the hills around here on one hand and the hills I seek out have no stops. The tail does rub when I have my shocks on the lowest setting and I go over rough train tracks or speed bumps.

Thank you for the concern, I do appreciate it.

Comment

I like the rear brake for low speed maneuvers, though it's hardly necessary, at least with a bike as light as mine. I probably use it TOO much otherwise, a bad little habit of mine. Maybe I should disconnect it for a while just to learn me to use the front more often. It still seems to put the bike in a good attitude coming into a turn but that could be a false sense of security on my part. I've never gotten into trouble in a turn though, the only time I've had trouble was locking the rear wheel in a panic stop - bad, bad, BAD! On steep hills I will sometimes put BOTH feet down just because I feel better that way, it's not that difficult to modulate the throttle and front brake simultaneously on take off. A lot of people say you should pretty much forget the rear brake on the street, and forget the front brake in the dirt. There's a lot of truth in that I suppose, tho I still like having the rear brake personally.
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Well its smoking like crazy and running like crap so I need to get this other engine built. *sigh*

Comment

Nooooooo, man, what a bummer, any Idea why, have you done any diagnosis?

Comment

No diagnosis yet. The burning oil smell became smoke yesterday. Only after it warms up.
            I checked my oil level and it was very low.
            So.... rings? valves?

Comment

Originally posted by 240punk View Post
              No diagnosis yet. The burning oil smell became smoke yesterday. Only after it warms up.
              I checked my oil level and it was very low.
              So.... rings? valves?
              It does sound like you are now burning oil. What colour is your smoke?

Do you have any pictures of your plugs yet?
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Burning a lot of oil. This sucks. I'll check my plugs tonight.

Comment

Just found my oil pressure guage NOS.
                  Apparently they were specifically for GS.
                  Also ordered parts for my 670 conversion on my other motor. Need to have that done asap.

Comment

So I got a killer deal on a twin for my bike. My brother will be here in feb so I have until then to get both bikes solid.

Comment

Started the tear down this evening.
                      Excited to cruise with my brother.

Liking the exhaust on both sides so I think I'm going with that.
                      Smaller headlight, new tires, some cool bars, random parts, zero budget.

Comment

Engine will be ready to pull tonight.

Comment

I think it's funny you found the money for a twin to your bike, but, not the money for a rear caliper for your bike. Lol, jk. But, I've been riding awhile and use both brakes. Redundancy is good with our bikes, and that's exactly the biggest deal with brakes are, besides stopping power. If Suzuki felt that front brakes would suffice, they would have never wasted their money on a rear brake. Please don't defy the engineers with riding without a rear brake. If you have loved ones, etc., take them into consideration before ever getting on the bike again without a rear brake, and wonder if it's worth it to ride without it. It's better to be safe than sorry. It's just my opinion, so, please don't be mad, as you'll do what you do. But, care and concern for a fellow rider is always on my mind!

Comment

Like I said before, it'll be an idiot in a cage that kills me.

Comment

Working...
                            X