Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs 450l ignition troubles

Hello to all,

I am new to this post and new to these kind of bikes. I have been a sportbike rider for 5 years now.

Long story short, within the last couple months I have rescued a 1982 GS450L from the weeds and brought it back to life. I had an itch for a project and voila!! Here it is. It took a bit of touch up and whole lot more elbow grease to get this thing looking young again. So I have got this thing to run and I have taken it for a couple of test rides... some which have left me stranded.

I have an electrical problem. It seems that when i do get the bike started only one cylinder seems as if it is firing because of the temperature difference from one side to the other. The other pipe eventually gets hot but it takes a while longer to get there. I have looked at both spark plugs and they seem to be both dark. When i do the spark test however, no spark. I cannot get spark out of either side when I visually try to check it. One plug in and connected, other plug grounded and turn it over... no spark??

Also I have checked the resistances on the ignition coils and all seems to check out. I have checked the two points or the signal generator points on the stator. Both points do have resistance values and they are identical to eachother so I think that this component is good.

What I am wondering about is what else that I can check, i am leaning toward the igniter and want to know if anyone has experienced a problem similar on their GS bike? How can I test the ignitor? And how can I test the leads +/- that connect to the ignition coils to know if everything is working properly?

It seems that when I use a multimeter and test both +/- sides that connect to the ignition coils I get the following result.

LH side: when the key is on there is no voltage coming to this terminal. I press the start button and I see a pulsating 10.5 Volts or something.

RH side: when the key is on there is 10.5 volts coming to this terminal? which is different from the opposite side. I press the start button and I see a pulsating 10.5 Volts about.

**Shouldnt this be a 12V signal coming in??

The battery is brand new and holds charge around 12.8-13V range. When I am starting the bike and there is a current draw. I see like 12.3-12.5V.

**Sorry for the long thread but I am trying to supply all the information that I can so someone may be able to suggest a solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you. Dont let this bike take me for a run.
Working...
X