No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been riding every day this week, I am in Oslo to take a masters degree, so I brought the bike to move around. I find filtering to be fascinating, and people are suprisingly nice in traffic. So I have a 30 to 45 minute commute each day. My classmates seem suprised I rode the bike down, and wonder if I will take it down next time in October. But its allready bellow freezing on the mountains so that might be challenging.

I don't understand how people deal with air cooled engines when traffic moves slow. It seems to get very hot very quickly. I am wary of shutting down the engine on the highway.

Yesterday I did a quick trip to Lillehammer (two-ish hours each way), I have only one picture, its hard to find places to stop on some of these roads.

Earlier in the week I went to visit my mother in Bø (a few hours away):

The ride out there was great. Twisty roads, short hills, surrounded by farms for wheat and apples. Enough straights to pass the cars.

And I am happy to report my home made gasket still (after 3000 kilometers) hold oil. And the tape around the exhaust is holding up. I think I will be fine for the ride home on friday and saturday. Not looking forward to crossing the mountain when its around freezing.
    GS1000G 1981

Comment

I don't understand how people deal with air cooled engines when traffic moves slow. It seems to get very hot very quickly. I am wary of shutting down the engine on the highway.
      Idling and overheating is a threat to any engine...older out of tune ones moreso. Re-starting a warmed up bike or car is less stressful and saves $ I think, and gives the atmosphere a break too.

Comment

The Sweet sweet sound of a V4...

Always a good day on the VMAX!
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          I grew up in rural Ohio, right off Lake Erie. While I love the Great Lakes and love the grass and trees, there is a richness and diversity in Arizona that is awe-inspiring, from the Grand Canyon and Salt River Canyon, to Havasupai Falls, the Colorado and Salt Rivers, the lakes, and the rugged mountains, expansive Sonoran Desert and the changes from xeriscape to rich pine forests. This state has most everything within a four hour ride or drive.
          Don't get me wrong, New Mexico has it's perks too. I guess I'm just discontent. Thet's why I wander around so much. Being a military brat must have engrained that into me.

For giggles and things I looked up some data on how much water is in our states.

Arizona
          total area 113,990 sq mi
          water area 396 sq mi
          percentage area water .3%

New Mexico
          total area 121,590 sq mi
          water area 292 sq mi
          percentage .2%

The highest percentage of total area being water is Michigan at 41%. I suppose when I'm feeling parched I could just head up there.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
            The Sweet sweet sound of a V4...
            Always a good day on the VMAX!
            Mr. MAX...the only shaftie I've ever lusted for.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I took Charmayne's bike on another shakedown ride after the engine rebuild; only had time for 40 miles last night but I'm pleased with how it acted during the entire trip. Of course, she needs new tires badly which she's saving up for and won't let me help but has agreed she won't do any serious riding until she does. So, for now, it will stay in my garage.

Test Ride through Germantown by Scott Baker, on Flickr
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post

For giggles and things I looked up some data on how much water is in our states.

Arizona
                total area 113,990 sq mi
                water area 396 sq mi

New Mexico
                total area 121,590 sq mi
                water area 292 sq mi
                percentage .2%

The highest percentage of total area being water is Michigan at 41%. I suppose when I'm feeling parched I could just head up there.
                Would you have a link to your source on this? I would be interested in checking out the different states.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                  Don't get me wrong, New Mexico has it's perks too. I guess I'm just discontent. Thet's why I wander around so much. Being a military brat must have engrained that into me.

Arizona
                  total area 113,990 sq mi
                  water area 396 sq mi

New Mexico
                  total area 121,590 sq mi
                  water area 292 sq mi
                  percentage .2%

Elephant Butte is at 4.7% capacity as of today.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                    Would you have a link to your source on this? I would be interested in checking out the different states.
                    Sure thing.

What percent of your state do you think is water covered? Which state has the highest percentage of water area? Is the West really "drier" than the rest of the country?
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I hate stopping when riding so seldon get any pics but this couldn't be passed up! Somewhere around Winlaw in the Slocan Valley
                      1981 GS850G
                      1989 GL1500

Comment

Originally posted by XGMAN View Post
                        I hate stopping when riding so seldon get any pics but this couldn't be passed up! Somewhere around Winlaw in the Slocan Valley
                        I had to look this up as neither what you put for your location nor what you called this was familiar to me. Now that I see you are in Canada, that has got to be an area I have to go see. Guess I should work on getting my passport
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

There are a surprising number of us in BC it seems.
                          2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                          2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Went to trondheim today (480 kilometers from Oslo). It is chilly now. I have seriously stepped up my packikg game.

I lost the round plastic thing for the swing arm or whatever-nut. Annoying

Was a bunch of rain. But more after arrival.

Tomorrow will be interessting. 4-6c over the mountains and heavy rain. 13 hour trip. Heavy load (have a ton of books for my study).

Look at all that stuff! Didnt move an inch. But I broke one hook on the black net. Im going to learn some knots and make some anchor points out of paracord
                            GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                              I had to look this up as neither what you put for your location nor what you called this was familiar to me. Now that I see you are in Canada, that has got to be an area I have to go see. Guess I should work on getting my passport
                              Don't think you need to worry about passport at the moment but yes the Kootenays have some great riding.
                              Think I seen every harley and dual purpose bike from western Canada here this summer.
                              Fred
                              1981 GS850G
                              1989 GL1500

Comment

Did I?

I made the brilliant decision to stay for an extra night in Oslo to enjoy a taco dinner with my friend, this meant I would have to do the 13 hour Trondheim - Harstad trip in one go. I did it earlier in the summer, so what could possibly be problematic about doing it in september? I was planning to head out early, so I went to bed fairly early on saturday.

When sunday came I was all out of oomph, maybe it was because of the heavy rain, and generally poor weather 7c (44.6f). So I dragged my feet to get going and didn't manage to start riding until 11am. I got gas somewhere near Trondheim and it was raining moderately, and somewhat cold.

After a couple of hours it just started pouring down, my feet was getting wet and somehow water was penetrating my rain gear. It was wet and cold. Around 2pm I needed gas, and it was raining less. I had managed about 214 kilometers (132 miles). I got a large coffe, two hot dogs and a waffle (had only black coffee for breakfast). It stared to rain a bit moer so I got going.

My second stop was at around 5 pm, and it was just pouring down. it was so wet. I was wet, the road was wet. My boots had enough water that I could feel a stream if I lifted my feet. I was cold and somewhat annoyed at the whole trip. I got a coffee and it made wonders for my morale. I couldn't stay too long because I had to cross Saltfjellet (salt mountain) and that is a cold ride. My GPS kept changing the predicted temperature from about freezing to 7c, so I decided to just plow through it and get past it before it got too dark or cold.

Going over the mountain I was worried it would be frozen somewhere, so I followed a bunch of cars. It was getting annoyingly cold and my clothes were thourougly soaked. I was even more tired and in addition it started getting darker. And boy was riding in the dark with this light a lot harder while it rained. My wife called me, I just pressed ignore and carried on. At least she'd know I was fine. My microphone wire got ripped (arrrgh). On the way down from the mountain I enjoyed a tiny sliver of sun, that gave me hope the rest of the trip would be easy.

At around 8 pm I arrive in Fauske. I am now 649 kilometers (403 miles) in, its dark, I'm cold and sore and my right wrist hurts. My helmet is wet, even with the pinlock its getting foggy. Its heavy rain. I get a coffe, go to the bathroom, and call my wife. The coffee did wonders for my morale and I felt nice and rested to do the last 300 or so kilometers (slightly less than 200 miles). For an hour or so riding was tolerable, even at times enjoyable.

But the fogging got worse, I got cold again, I couldnt see very well. Without the visor the raindrops hurt my eyes, it felt like hail falling but Im sure it was just big rain drops. A bunch of cars came rushing and I couldnt see anything with my low beams with cars approaching.

For a good while I was following a semi that had great lights, it made it so much easier when I could see a bit further and follow the tail lights. He eventually managed to slip away and I wasn't able to catch up with him. I followed a car for a bit but that too was too fast for me. I was worrying I was going to miss the boat, and was trying my best to make progress. But it was cold, dark and wet. So so wet.

I decided to go without the visor for a while, it was amazing, I had so much better vision and got my spirits up. But then a moth hit my eye and it hurt a ton, so I got the visor down and the speed down. I was approaching the ferry dock and I had 30 minutes to do 20 kilometers (12.5miles). I was thrilled, maintaining 40kmh would be very doable (24.8mph).

Eventually I made it to the ferry dock, exhausted, but happy, I was ten minutes early. The time was 10:35pm and the ferry was scheduled for 10:45pm. I couldn't see the boat so I asked a semi driver when it was arriving. He told me 11:45pm!!! I had over an hours wait there. I was drenched. Luckily the rain had subseded, and it was really quiet and calm there apart from some cows that were seemingly being tortured (by their noise in the background). I was so frustrated. But then I pulled myself together, grabbed the dryest clothes I could find, and headed to the bathroom. This bathroom had a 10 minute timer for the lock, what kind of sadist design these things? Undressing with so many layers while drenched takes some time, and I were worrying the lock would open and someone would run into me butt naked.

After getting into a dry pair of pants, fresh wool socks and a fleece sweater (all my t-shirts were on the bottom of the pile in the Ikea bag) I felt somewhat better. But I realized i had no protective pants, and no layers (just my construction jeans, leather jacket that was tolerably dry, my wool socks, casual riding boots and the fleece and summer riding gloves). The ride after the boat would be COLD.

Since I had nothing better to do I decided to prepare some freeze dried chili. It had beans, so I apologize to any chili purists here. I boiled some water and poured it in. And by boiled I mean heated until I got bored. I managed to pour too much water in, and somehow I didn't manage the instructions: Boil water, mix, eat. So it ended up being a chili like soup with crunchy bits. But I must say right there that really hit the spot. It was warm, spicy and filling. Albeit crunchy and the wrong consistency.

AS you can see I messed up my brilliant loadup. I just attached it well enough to get onto the boat and after my gourmet spice soup with crunchy stuff the boat arrived.

Boat trip was decent, some waves and too late to get any serving. Going off the boat I rode to the nearest parking lot to deal with my cargo. When I was there I saw the first northern light of the year:

Other pic: https://i.imgur.com/B4X5dTJ.jpg They dont really do it justice, it was brililant and soo cool around the mountains. Very intense, like a 4/5 star one.

It was now around 1 am and I still had somewhat over and hour to ride. My luggage was crooked and pushing against me, but stable, albeit with very little room for me. I rode with the visor open, making sure to close my eyes if I were being attacked by moths and closing it whenever trucks came. It was pretty cold and miserable, but the northern lights followed me the whole time, but not as intense as at the dock. Because of the light pollution my picture game was a bit off, and I didnt see any bright enough worth stopping afterwards.

Safely home my wife helped me load off the bike, I had a long shower and went to bed. It was then 02:31am (my hour of riding took longer since I was slow).

So now I am in the market for the overall kind of rain gear and some new boots.

BTW: I can now say with confidence the BT46 works on rain. They stuck to the road brilliantly the whole way. Only complaint is they only last about six weeks...
                                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Working...
                                X