X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redman View Post
    Near 50degF today.
    In December !
    (all next week the predicted highs are in low-mid 30s)
    So, go for ride.
    Took this one since it hasnt been out in a while.
    I am so envious. Today it snowed a few inches here, and the terrible politicians are salting the roads as if they were salting the fields of our enemies.

A bunch of days has been warm and dry enough, but I know the roads are full of salt.

Maybe I should move somewhere less prone to salting or buy a sacrificial bike.
    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
      Great shots Dave!
      Enjoy the good weather... It's been snowing like a Mutha around here. I Haven't ridden in days. Last time it was 22' F and it was freezing!!!
      BUT...

Now I'm enjoying driving my little 6-speed Hot Hatch. Because... Well, it's winter now.

Guess I'll be putting my helmet up for the season soon enough. Might sneak out with the FZ6 but no complaints as it's been the best season I've done so far!

Best,
      Is that a Honda Jazz? Or whatever its called over there? My friend has one and seems to love it. His is a manual though and is rims are less flashy.

What kind of tyres you running there? Getting 3pmsf tyres on a rental in Oregon proved to be challenging (so we dropped mount hood). Their advice was getting a 4x4, but I am not worried about getting up (plenty of snow and ice here), but more of being able to stop and turn when going down. I don't need studs, but I need good rubber. Especially in unknown territory. Rain deers and moose is fine, but the wildlife is somewhat different there, and I always find it weir driving in the US (the roads are too wide and stop signs is a pain).
      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
        I am so envious. Today it snowed a few inches here, and the terrible politicians are salting the roads as if they were salting the fields of our enemies.

A bunch of days has been warm and dry enough, but I know the roads are full of salt.

Maybe I should move somewhere less prone to salting or buy a sacrificial bike.
        HaHa, good one,Noreg...
        .. a beater with plastic fenders (and by the way, take off your chrome fenders, clean 'em, paint the undersides with something tough and keep an eye on any crossover exhaust pipe underneath)...that was my plan but unfortunately, you do grow fond of "sacrificial bikes"
        Here they have gone to some kind of liquid deicer which they call "brine"
        From MainRoad
        "Anti-icing brine is a blend of crystal salt and water. Typically, it’s a mixture of 23% crystal salt with 77% water. For comparison, ocean water is 3.5% on average. Depending on the forecasted weather event, anti-icing brine can also be a blend of chlorides that suite colder temperatures. Road temperatures and other atmospheric conditions will dictate what anti-icing brine solution will be used."

That mention of chlorides (magnesium chloride?) is a worry-it's worse than salt all this stuff lingers into spring as a dust. A clue is that your bike (or car underneath) is always damp looking as it attracts moisture from the air. ie: March can do more harm than November...
        Last edited by Gorminrider; 12-15-2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Two Kats out yesterday for probably my last Saturday morning ride of the year, and my mate Reg was happy with his new personalised helmet as well. We did have a Honda with us as well but we don't like to admit that

Untitled by starpoint73, on Flickr
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
            .......... probably my last Saturday morning ride of the year, . .............
            I am confused. What am I missing? This is early in your riding season.

.......... .............
            Something else I am confused with... what is the black crinkly stuff on your bike, by the bars and tank?

.......... .............
            THat is an intertsting place you guys are parked.
            What are the lines painted on the pavement? Might they be motorcycle parking only spaces?

Could joke, and say thanks for not cluttering your picture with the Honda har har har

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I am confused. What am I missing? This is early in your riding season.
              Oh, not for the riding year, the calendar year Next Saturday is Boxing Day and on those sorts of public holidays I tend to not get out much as there are crazies about. I might duck out for a coffee during my week off this week though.

Something else I am confused with... what is the black crinkly stuff on your bike, by the bars and tank?
              Hmmmm I'm not seeing any crinkly stuff in that photo, perhaps you can see the reflection of the trees in the gloss black paint of the front cowl?

THat is an intertsting place you guys are parked.
              What are the lines painted on the pavement? Might they be motorcycle parking only spaces?
              They're actually car parks at our favourite Pitstop Cafe on Mt Mee, but the number of bikes far outnumber the cars and therefore we often invade those instead of the dedicated bike parks. The owner is a mate of one of our other regulars and doesn't mind in the slightest

Could joke, and say thanks for not cluttering your picture with the Honda har har har
              Hahaha it's all good, we always ensure his bike is socially distanced from the Katanas, and he's also Irish which just adds to the fun

sigpic

Comment

Doah... calendar year. Okay.

Yah, I see, gloss black, reflection of trees. Okay.

Ah, different part of the restaurant parking that we have seen before. THe arrow signs made me think was along the roadside.

Hee hee
                Do you actually tell your Honda buddy (sorry. I cant say "mate" hee hee) to "park over there, dont want that bike in my pictures for the forum."..?

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Did a 60 mile meander on the Harley today, just cruising rural surface streets. Amazing weather, and Fleetwood Mac made it even better.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Doah... calendar year. Okay.

Yah, I see, gloss black, reflection of trees. Okay.

Ah, different part of the restaurant parking that we have seen before. THe arrow signs made me think was along the roadside.

Hee hee
                    Do you actually tell your Honda buddy (sorry. I cant say "mate" hee hee) to "park over there, dont want that bike in my pictures for the forum."..?
                    Yes, yes we do

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                      Is that a Honda Jazz? Or whatever its called over there? My friend has one and seems to love it. His is a manual though and is rims are less flashy.

What kind of tyres you running there? Getting 3pmsf tyres on a rental in Oregon proved to be challenging (so we dropped mount hood). Their advice was getting a 4x4, but I am not worried about getting up (plenty of snow and ice here), but more of being able to stop and turn when going down. I don't need studs, but I need good rubber. Especially in unknown territory. Rain deers and moose is fine, but the wildlife is somewhat different there, and I always find it weir driving in the US (the roads are too wide and stop signs is a pain).
                      Yes they call it a Jazz in Europe And Japan, Honda Fit here. This one is a GK5 or generation 3 FWD 1.5 DOHC i-VTEC (130hp/120ft/lbs torque) L15B1 engine with a 6-speed manual transmission. It weighs around 2500lbs. Light and nimble. Surprisingly good in the snow! As most low(er)HP FWD cars actually are also with a GVWR of 4500lbs it makes an exceptional tug for my little 5X8 trailer. It's also no slouch it would leave my old Yaris hatchback in the dust

I'm running studless tires. Michelin ice xi3. They are pretty good, they are not Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires but they do the job well! I have been running the mountains and in severe snow I'm having no issues.

It's a real joy to ride both in the summer and winter.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Got a short 50 mile ride in after the near loss of the Seahawks.

Encountered rain mist the farther east I went, so headed north.

Nice to carve some turns on wet roads & also late tar n gravel application.

20201220_145251 by Carter Turk, on Flickr
                        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

35degF today. Suppose to be cold and snowy in a couple days.
                          So got out for a short ride late this afternoon.

Just into town and around town. Stopped downtown for pic.

And stopped to pick up take-out dinner.
                          Gotta support my favorite mexican restaurant.

Comment

I did a Christmas light ride this evening around my little town. Love this time of year.

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                            2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Great to see you guys out in the cooler weather!

I've yet to see a new Katana in the metal yet, they just don't seem to sell well here by the looks, and the local dealers don't even seem to have them on the showroom floor either.

sigpic

Comment

Great to see you guys out in the cooler weather!

I've yet to see a new Katana in the metal yet, they just don't seem to sell well here by the looks, and the local dealers don't even seem to have them on the showroom floor either.
                                As far as I know, I'm the only person with one in my area. We have two Suzuki dealers and both each brought in one. One is still on the showroom floor, the other is in my garage.

I don't mind having a bike you don't see every day, it's way cooler that way.
                                2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                                2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X