anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
    On my morning ride today, a funny (odd) thing happened. I was on a lightly travelled road with clear vision so I decided to redline the bike in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

I should have prefaced this by saying I have a faulty ground wire somewhere yet to be determined and my right side turn signal has been working only sporadically.
    Well after doing the redlining, I looked down and the right t/s was flashing even though I had not touched it. The rest of the way home, nearly 100 miles, it would just keep coming on until finally I just held the button down like when shutting if off.

So finally home and the headlight comes out of the bucket so I will remove and replace any and all bullet connectors and make sure every connection is clean and lubed. It's going to be too warm and humid to ride for the rest of the week anyway so I guess it is shop time now.

Otherwise, the bike ran good I guess except for the poor gas mileage and the oil consumption.
    Sounds like a fun ride. Could the signal issue be a problem in the switch itself?
    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
      Sounds like a fun ride. Could the signal issue be a problem in the switch itself?
      Possible I guess although I just had that left hand switch apart a couple of weeks ago and cleaned everything. I will have to look at it again if the ground wire clean-up doesn't work.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Got slightly out of town for a wee bit of dual-sport riding with Tim and Wazz last week in the Black Hills of South Dakota and Wyoming...

This weird rock kept showing up in our photos in Wyoming, so we went up for a closer look.

Free range cattle took over someone's yard along a dirt road near Galena, South Dakota. They seemed pretty chill.

I am the WORST at taking pictures. Too busy riding and figuring out where we are, where we're going, and the best spot for lunch.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

So did anyone in your party climb the Devil's tower? Lots of people do.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Man Brian I’m jealous. I had hoped to get there this year and couldn’t.
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Got slightly out of town for a wee bit of dual-sport riding with Tim and Wazz last week in the Black Hills of South Dakota and Wyoming....
              I am the WORST at taking pictures. Too busy riding and figuring out where we are, where we're going, and the best spot for lunch.
              Yah, you did "get out of town".

Good pics. Showed bikes and scenery, and some of what you experienced other than just gas station stops. Thanks.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                So did anyone in your party climb the Devil's tower? Lots of people do.
                LOL, nope. We didn't see any climbers that day. I was at Devil's Tower about 30 years ago and remember seeing a few climbers on their way up, but none that day. We hiked maybe half a mile around the base and that was it. Hiking in off road boots is tough work.

We had spent that morning rebuilding Tim's carburetor in a parking lot (vacuum line popped off during a minor incident the day before and sucked in some dirt), so we also didn't have a lot of time to hang around DT before skedaddling back to our base in Rapid City, SD. Would have been neat to see in the sunset, but riding three hours in the dark in rural WY and SD didn't have much appeal.

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Man Brian I’m jealous. I had hoped to get there this year and couldn’t.
                I think damn near everyone else in the country got there; DT in Wyoming and the assorted attractions in the Black Hills of SD were absolutely JAM PACKED. Simply throbbing with teeming humanity. Lots of people hit the road this summer and headed to some version of the great outdoors.

Sturgis (the event) was still three weeks away, but we passed through the town three or four times and it was already jam-packed with pirate types, and the t-shirt shoppes seemed to be thriving. The local Wally World in Rapid City (about 30 miles from Sturgis) even had a huge display of Sturgis 2021 t-shirts, hats, etc.

The paved roads in the "tourist trap" portion of the Black Hills (Custer SP, Rushmore, Needles Highway, Sylvan Lake, etc.) were also absolutely jam-packed at all times. It made for lots of irritation and more than a little danger at times. We used gravel and dirt roads whenever possible, but sometimes you can't avoid pavement.

We had lots of wonderfully isolated riding on and off pavement, but lots of roads were also just plain overrun with bleating, stinking, waddling, sweating humanity. Long conga lines of side-by-sides and UTVs were sometimes an unpleasant sudden surprise in remote areas, but there were also lots of places you didn't see them at all. I think there must be routes they tend to use more than others, but I never quite figured out how to tell beforehand.

We found some great off-pavement GPX tracks from Rever and assorted randos on ADVrider, and I created several.

Despite a few minor frustrations with overcrowding, it was a great trip. It'll be many, many moons before I find a way to take a whole week off work and get that far west again. I'd say maybe pick some other month for a trip to the Black Hills besides July or August, though...
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Went out early this morning. A quarter mile from my destination my thermos fell off of the bike and the scoundrel behind me ran it over. The coffee stayed put though.
                  I rode to Ocean Grove, then north thru the beach towns before the throngs of tourists and beachgoers arrived
                  http://Morning coffee / mourning Thermos by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Man, I'm used to giving wide berth to landscaping trucks after a rake flew over my head on the freeway, now I have to watch for GS1150's too?

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    Went out early this morning. A quarter mile from my destination my thermos fell off of the bike and the scoundrel behind me ran it over. The coffee stayed put though.
                    I rode to Ocean Grove, then north thru the beach towns before the throngs of tourists and beachgoers arrived
                    http://Morning coffee / mourning Thermos by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

"Hmm... coffee's a bit crunchy today."
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

One always needs to watch those low budget guys on liter plus sized GS’s.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Went for a 400 mile trip in the truck.......to get this:

Tracer pic.jpg

(Sorry for the small pic, tired old man here)

2020 Yamaha Tracer 900GT, 1,462 miles, still under warranty until November.

Unfortunately, the trip completely wore me out, so only rode it from the street to the back porch (200 feet). If the rain holds off tomorrow, I'll spend some time getting to know her a little better!

Just too tired right now to do much more than read the manual and see what all these knobs and buttons control tonight.
                          Ron
                          When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                          1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                          1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                          1982 GS1100E
                          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Sweet! Very nice Ron. I'll have to make a Kentucky trip soon to check it out. 👍
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working 8PM to 2AM as of recent... Allowing me to ride during the day. Doing about 300 miles between the Bonneville and the BMW. Really loving this R1100R.

Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X