X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
    Katarama!

Are you gelling with the long gal?
    Oh yes indeed! The only problem I have is trying not to ride it every time and giving the 450 some attention. The riding position of the Kat really helps me stretch my back out which is great, whereas putting the clubmans and rearsets on the 450 is actually causing me some grief because it doesn't have the same stretch. I think I may have to take the 450 back to scrambler mode again just for fun
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I think I am running out of season. I was going to do one of my normal rides, but the road was icy:

That was disappointing, so I turned around. Going through the sentrum I saw frozen over puddles, and my indicators were not working so I went home. My new rain suit worked great at stopping the wind though.

I guess winter is coming...

Edit: A student told me today four people tipped over on their bikes on sunday. Scary.
      Last edited by Noreg; 09-28-2020, 06:37 PM.
      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Yesterday was my wife's first ride on the FJR. We hit the road at 9am and went to see my uncle in Aztec, up near the Colorado border. Stopping in Cuba, a frequent halfway pit stop, we visited with another rider on a 2004 HD V-Rod. He was heading into a pretty desolate area and wondered how far it was to the next gas station. I couldn't tell him right off hand. With the estimated 100 mile range he got out of a tank of gas, he said if he didn't find gas in 50 miles he'd just turn around. That made me even more thankful to be riding the FJR with it's 6 gallon tank.

We were heading to see my uncle in an assisted living facility. He's 15 years into his battle with Parkinson's and just turned 80. Covid has kept us from visiting for most of this year so it was nice to catch up on things. He kept dropping hints for me to come bust him out of that prison like facility and take him fishing. I'll have to setup some sort of diversion so the warden won't see him rolling away in his wheelchair. Maybe get his room mate to pretend he's choking on some pudding or something, then make a run for it.

We stayed a couple of hours and had to turn back toward Albuquerque for the three hour ride home. The wind was out of the Northwest so we had 25-45 mph tail winds all the way home. That was pretty sweet! Here's a pic near Nageezi where we stopped to add a layer. The temp kept dropping and near the Continental Divide it got pretty cool, for us anyway...

Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Noreg, Back to chilly temperatures this week here. Heavy Frost in the Mornings is pretty common however this week we are experiencing what the locals call "Indian Summer" Las big warming after a series of freezing nights and cool days. Keep riding while you can!

Sounds like a great ride Burque! Your a great nephew to visit!!! Great pictures... As always. The FJR is a great machine! Little to heavy for my liking, I'm back on the Bonneville daily for the VMAX is just too much to handle in wet cold conditions. So glad you had a great day t ride!

Big weekend... On my ride in this morning the CEL went off... Ahh European Bikes, what an interesting owning experience. Heavy rain all day...
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
            Yesterday was my wife's first ride on the FJR. We hit the road at 9am and went to see my uncle in Aztec, up near the Colorado border. Stopping in Cuba, a frequent halfway pit stop, we visited with another rider on a 2004 HD V-Rod. He was heading into a pretty desolate area and wondered how far it was to the next gas station. I couldn't tell him right off hand. With the estimated 100 mile range he got out of a tank of gas, he said if he didn't find gas in 50 miles he'd just turn around.
            Surprised he didn't think to strap a two gallon can of fuel onto the back seat.
            Even with the 5 gallon tank of the GS I've done that a few times.
            When I got the XS I was a bit perturbed by its weeny tank, but it does an easy 60mpg if I take it easy, so its tank range is reasonable. I'd still strap a gallon or two on the back if I were going any place far off, just in case.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
              Noreg, Back to chilly temperatures this week here. Heavy Frost in the Mornings is pretty common however this week we are experiencing what the locals call "Indian Summer" Las big warming after a series of freezing nights and cool days. Keep riding while you can!

Sounds like a great ride Burque! Your a great nephew to visit!!! Great pictures... As always. The FJR is a great machine! Little to heavy for my liking, I'm back on the Bonneville daily for the VMAX is just too much to handle in wet cold conditions. So glad you had a great day t ride!

Big weekend... On my ride in this morning the CEL went off... Ahh European Bikes, what an interesting owning experience. Heavy rain all day...
              Living in the high desert, one mile above sea level (give or take), we do get snow and freezing rain on rare occasions. Those days are few and far between thankfully. As much as I long for the moisture of New England, I really don't miss shoveling 12 feet of snow every winter.

The FJR actually tips the scale about the same as my GS, but I swear it feels lighter. Its easier to hold up at a stop and drops into corners with far less effort. After 400 miles or so yesterday, my wife likes the GS better. I guess the extra horses and better handling don't do anything for her, it's all about wind, leg room and a comfy saddle. The adjustable windshield makes a noticable difference for her, but I like it down all the way otherwise it creates a vacuum that pulls me forward.

My friend is selling an '08 Bandit 1250. Same setup with bags and all and I'm thinking about swapping with him, maybe for a day just to see if it works better for us. Haven't discussed it yet, just thinking. I read that the wind isn't as much an issue for the passenger on the Bandit, plus it's lighter and hey, it's a Suzuki! The legroom may be an issue for her though. Last night she suggested getting a trike. Maybe the visit with my uncle sent her down that thought path. She said I was made to ride motorcycles, her not so much. If she was made for a cage, maybe a trike is a good middle ground, but not yet. haha

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              Surprised he didn't think to strap a two gallon can of fuel onto the back seat.
              Even with the 5 gallon tank of the GS I've done that a few times.
              When I got the XS I was a bit perturbed by its weeny tank, but it does an easy 60mpg if I take it easy, so its tank range is reasonable. I'd still strap a gallon or two on the back if I were going any place far off, just in case.
              I suggested he get a few gatorade bottles full at least. His V-Rod had bags so they wouldn't be too hard to carry. In fact, that's the first one I'd seen with bags. They looked pretty good on it I thought.

Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Only rode it up and down the street a couple times.
                No plates and no insurance. Mostly '66 CB77.
                Bushes and vines have changed colour, trees are just starting around here.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Looks great Steve.
                  Just got in from an absolutely beautiful moonlight ride. More later.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Took the "Silver Ghost" around the block. It's been apart for 2 months while I repainted it by hand in my humble garage. It was so nice to get it out on the road again!

Comment

I finally got to take a good ride on the GS1100GL this weekend. Riding up to this point had been limited to errand running, one work commute, and a few nighttime cruises that I was able to drag my wife out for.

Another GSer and I took a ride through southeast Ohio. We took a 169 mile route, with some stops along the way. The route was a pleasant mix of open roads, curvy but smooth and easy, and tight and twisty. We even hit a small piece of Rt 555.

My 1100, which has troubled me with its fuel economy, turned in 39.18MPG on a full tank during this ride. I know that's not awesome, but it's better than I have experienced so far.

I was also pleased with how grunty the 1100 engine is. You just about can't lug that engine. Through our long passes up and down mountains (OK, Ohio mountains, but still...) and through tight curves, I was pleased to find that the 1100 did not mind accelerating from 2000RPM and even a little below in 5th gear. I certainly could have had more power by downshifting, but on a fairly casual ride with a little allowance to have some fun, I had plenty of power to accelerate in 5th. Grunting through those hills in 5th was its own kind of fun!
                      1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Comment

After dinner last night I told my friend I may be interested in trading bikes with him. He's a full 12" taller than me and more than double my weight. Thinking the FJR would fit him better and the Bandit may fit me, he was interested and said come over. He apparently has two other taller windshields, but the shortest was on it last night. Also, the bags and trunk have been removed for now.

I took it into the hills East of town for a quick 30 minute ride. I really like the riding position and as suspected as it fits my frame better than the FJR. I imagine this would be a better warm weather bike for around here, but it's cooling down and I was really missing the fairing last night. I doubt my wife riding on the back would appreciate it any more than the FJR since the foot pegs are higher and the seat slopes forward a bit more. If I were planning on strictly solo adventures I could see this being my next bike. Maybe I'll have my wife ride with me and give it another go, but most likely I will stick with the FJR.

Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                          After dinner last night I told my friend I may be interested in trading bikes with him. He's a full 12" taller than me and more than double my weight. Thinking the FJR would fit him better and the Bandit may fit me, he was interested and said come over. He apparently has two other taller windshields, but the shortest was on it last night. Also, the bags and trunk have been removed for now.

I took it into the hills East of town for a quick 30 minute ride. I really like the riding position and as suspected as it fits my frame better than the FJR. I imagine this would be a better warm weather bike for around here, but it's cooling down and I was really missing the fairing last night. I doubt my wife riding on the back would appreciate it any more than the FJR since the foot pegs are higher and the seat slopes forward a bit more. If I were planning on strictly solo adventures I could see this being my next bike. Maybe I'll have my wife ride with me and give it another go, but most likely I will stick with the FJR.

The Bandit 1250 was always in the back of my mind for possible purchase, since I loved riding the FZ1 and Bandit 1200 (+150K miles total of riding on those 2 machines) Figured the Bandit 1250 would be the best buy... I was close but went through my Harley attempt (1 year and 20K miles) and found the motorcycles by the motor company did not fit my riding style. Test rode a T120 down in Florida the Spring of 2018 and after retuning home I promptly traded in the XR1200 Sportster for my T120.... That bike has been exceptional for my riding style unfortunately it is not the most reliable bike I have ever owned, by a long shot. Coming up to 72K miles and next go for my daily/touring bike will be back to Japanese.

Anyway the Bandit1250 again is on the list but unfortunately after having put nearly equivalent of 3 trips around the globe on a bike with cruise control I can't see myself not having it. My next bike will likely be a FJ-09 retro fitted with a reflashed Tracer 900 Gt ECU so I can have dynamic heated grips and Cruise... Finding FJ-09's in the same price range as Bandit 1250's... i would need to ride a Bandit to know but the FJ-09 is more powerful (power to weight), smaller, more fuel efficient and IMHO has the more personality. The Yamaha CP3 triple engine is one of the best on the market... Very likely will be housed in the the next Jedz Moto daily motorcycle.

Can't go wrong with the FJR, many love them. I put 40K on a Concours 1400 and in the end I was done with the big fat tourers. My wife finds the T120 much more comfortable than the Connie ever was and when I do my big long distance trips I find the T120 is all and all the better bike to bring, better MPG slightly, better range and more versatile especially in cities and towns... Oh did I mention Cruise control???

Anyway I hope you enjoy whatever bike that will yield you more miles Burque!

Best,

-Jedz
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                          Originally posted by Hayabuser
                          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I had been watching the forecast all weekend and it said that warm weather riding was coming to an end so I took advantage. I had been in a bit of a rut riding to or near the same old tired places and areas so I headed out some different and farther spots. For no good reason I had been wanting to ride to Brenardsville all summer. Its an affluent, tidy, and old town (George Washington slept here..) about 50 miles away. I did that on Sunday. The night was warm, slightly foggy, and misty. About 3/4 of the ride was on the highway, which I dont mind, even enjoy, if the roads are lighly travelled. Being that it was well into the evening and Sunday, traffic was a bare minimum. I made quick time down Rt 18, across River Rd, then up
                            I 287 to Rt 206. Once on 206 the ride slowed down and the relaxed, curving, cruise to Brenardsville started.
                            It was dark and I drove at cautious speeds because deer. I've travelled this path many times for work so despite the dark, I was familiar with the road.
                            The town was basically closed up for the night and peaceful. I parked the bike and walked around for a while, checking out details that I never had time to check while on the company's dime. In this time of Covid, I got a got of reminder that other problems still rage on. I walked by the local library and saw about 15 posters in memoriam with peoples pictiures on them ranging from late teens to middle aged. I suspected was Covid related deaths... nope. Overdoses. I took the thought in as I continued my walk, observing the details that are only seen in old towns like this. Intricate brick and stonework , fine detailed wood wood work, an old three screen movie house, etc. Eventually it was time to move on. I left town and headed up the hill past two spots I do service work at. It was quite misty and very dark, with no streetlights. Again, I rode cautiously and with a slight advantage of knowing the road, but it was still a different experience in the dark of night. I went around the other side of the mountain and took a different route back to I 287. I Considered stopping for a pic at a small town high end auto dealer that had two old school Mini Coopers out front. I suspect that my GS may have been taller and longer then those cool old rigs. But it was late.
                            By the time I got back to 287 the mist was enough to foul my helmet shield and I had ocassionally drop my head to below that invisibe spot behind the windscreen where the wind blows the mist straight down and off of the shield. A nice highway rythm set in and I made quick time home and called it a night.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Come On, Glen. This thread is supposed to have pics to go with the story. (great story, BTW). Love classic Mini's. No pics? really? You?
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Rich, I had intended to get pics. When I was walking in town I did take some non moto related pics, one of which I posted in Random Pictures thread. The couple of bike pics I took weren't good. By the time I got to the Minis it was past midnight.
                                sigpic

Glen
                                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Working...
                                X