Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
    . . . . . .

I put 500 miles on this BMW I bought unseen from a friend for a song. It runs awesome... minus an minor issue with the final drive rear bearing.. . . . . . . . .
    . . . . .
    -Jedz
    THat final drive failure - - again - - was the nail in the coffin for my 1150RT just a few weeks ago

1150RS, right? does it go grunch grunch and almost lock up, and sling out its gear lube....?
    .... or you just have chunks drain out in the gear lube??

Hey, you want a Clymers manaul for cheap.....? (M503-3 : R850,R1100,R1150, 1993-2003)
    Just flip thru it, and stop at the fingerprints and notes, that will be either the section for removing all the RT tupperware.... Or.... the section for replacing the FD.

Contact me if you want to chat about the options for rebuilding a FD.

>> later
    Going down highway, full speed ahead. Left SanDeigo 7 days prior, headed home to Michigan (story & pics post in Ride Report). Felt a bit of a shudder, like I hit a bump in pavement, but was smooth pavement. Happend again, and again, then started repeating every minute or so. Then Released I w...

My posting from 2019 (first FD failure). Shows the specials tool. Also need torch and temperature gun. I elected to replace the FD with a used one. Scroll down near end and you will see some folks you have meet, that helped me do that, well, they did it while I had arm in a sling and read the book step bye step (a lot of the time they said "yah, we already did that").

THat FD lasted me a couple years and about 5 thousand miles, and failed again (a week before scheduled departure to Brown County).
    Last edited by Redman; 06-19-2021, 04:44 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

It's a R1100R I went with the 1100 as the whole drive shaft and differential are rebuildable. A good friend of mine told me to avoid the 1150's and go with a R1100XX for my first BMW experience. I like it, I'll be tearing into the rear end and checking the bearing. Pretty common issue but unlike the 1150 it's just a wear component that can be replaced or rebuilt without damaging the drivel line beyond repair. We will see, I went into buying my first BMW with the expectation it was going to be as reliable as a Harley... We are definitely batting a 100 with that prediction but hey, I wanted to experience and learn!
      Best,
      Last edited by Jedz123; 06-19-2021, 05:30 AM.
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
        We will see, I went into buyit my first BMW with the expectation it was going to be as reliable as a Harley...
        I will never own another "R" BMW....But another "K?" Yes Sir, absolutely and gladly...
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I like the R bikes so much more. They have that classic BMW look and make such great torque right where you want it.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            I like the R bikes so much more. They have that classic BMW look and make such great torque right where you want it.
            After two K1100RSes, I picked up a R1100S. Sold it in less than a year. Only thing I ever liked about it was the looks.
            I was probably spoiled, because the K1100RS is still the best bike I've ever owned, and would buy another if I had room.

My first boxer! by R John Thieda, on Flickr

First day home - 96 K1100RS by R John Thieda, on Flickr

Comment

I've almost bought a K bike two different times. I loved the pearl white K100RS, but after riding one, discovered that I liked the K75RS more (right before diving into the GPz 750/810 monster project, so I bought neither). But I truly like the R100GS and have seriously considered owning one (or even an R80, which I've ridden and enjoyed, as a friend owns one).
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

I've almost bought a K bike two different times. I loved the pearl white K100RS, but after riding one, discovered that I liked the K75RS more (right before diving into the GPz 750/810 monster project, so I bought neither). But I truly like the R100GS and have seriously considered owning one (or even an R80, which I've ridden and enjoyed, as a friend owns one).
                Sounds fun. If we all liked exactly the same bike, things would get pretty boring..LOL...

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                  Sounds fun. If we all liked exactly the same bike, things would get pretty boring..LOL...
                  Where's the damned "Like" button?
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Finally got a ride in with the new R/R and spark plugs. Went to Svolvær.- Bike was running great. Ive missed this.
                    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Here's the journey... If you don't mind the profanity of a motorcyclist getting mad at his newly purchased motorcycle then your good to watch!

Hell of a 500 mile day.

Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Great shot Noreg!!!
                        Looks like great riding weather for ya!
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post

Finally got a ride in with the new R/R and spark plugs. Went to Svolvær.- Bike was running great. Ive missed this.

You've missed the riding and we have missed the beautiful photos you post when you are riding.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Don’t know what it is about my bike and snakes. Today, a harmless black snake, I think. Not the usual timber rattler.

Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Looks like a rat snake to me.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Looks like a rat snake to me.
                                Could be. I haven’t looked it up yet.

edit:

looks right. Eastern Ratsnake or Black Rat Snake
                                Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-20-2021, 07:42 PM.
                                Rich
                                1982 GS 750TZ
                                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                                X