anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    That bike looks GREAT without the fairing!
    Indeed. Looks just like mine in fact. Every time I pulled the windjammer off for maintenance I wanted to keep it off. Felt weird riding without it. Wind, weight difference, handling etc, all very different. After finding a headlight and indicators, I ditched the fairing and got a smaller windshield. Minimal wind protection as compared to the Jammer, but as Dave said in another post (paraphrased), after a ride I turn around and look at it before closing the garage door. Sometimes I just open the door to the garage to look at it. I'll even admit to riding by a storefront reflection more than once to see it.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Absolutely. A small bikini fairing would be perfect on that beast.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Dave likes the wind protection, which is why he bought the bike in the first place.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by . . . . . . . View Post
          Dave likes the wind protection, which is why he bought the bike in the first place.
          Yep.

Third paragraph.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Congrats, Dave. Nothing like the feeling of a pile of parts turning back into an engine, and the moment it starts for the first time...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Congrats, Dave. Nothing like the feeling of a pile of parts turning back into an engine, and the moment it starts for the first time...
              Thanks.
              Yah, came a time I said "hey, no parts left on work bench. So I guess should be ready to start it. Oh, wait, maybe should get some oil in it."

Then was over hour and half of it not starting. . . . I'll skip all those details of checking for spark, checking for gas flow out petcock, checking for gas in bowl, quick check compression, checking air filter, checking for gas on plugs (nope), deliberating if should use starter fluid (nope), check stuff again, thinking that maybe have to "go thru carbs one more time". Was beginning to get discouraged. Then it made a little blurble, then next time it started, and all four pipes getting warm then hot ! Yeahhh!

Had to go for ride, but didnt have fairing on (post of Nov 7th).

Then couple days later, got all the fairing and related stuff out of basement work shop, and then got all that stuff on.
              Had to go for ride then again (post of Nov 11).
              Last edited by Redman; 11-15-2021, 06:41 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                Got fairing and lowers back on Wednesday, and went for ride.

I was thinking:
                Man, I like this bike. It seems the handlebars are wide enough and shaped just right , and the steering geometry is just right, so that the arm movement of leaning upper body provides just the right amount of countersteering.
                Man, this is comfortable. Man, I missed this bike.
                Have been out for hour and half or two. Where is the time clock? Oh, nope.
                Was about 50degF when left home, where is the air temp display? Oh, nope.
                Could turn on grip heaters for a little bit. Oh, Nope.
                Hum, I could put the windscreen down a little bit. No, I can't.
                Oh, what? besides all the buzzing and rattling of the fairing, sounds like some engine noise, what? what is that engine noise?

Oh, maybe it is this.......

Rode around in town for a while.
                Saw some fall color yet on a few trees.

Stopped for lunch

Headed on state highway out of town for a while.
                Then along the river, to this boat ramp park that also has a bayou off the river.
                Well past any fall color there.

Was great to take the GK on a ride.

Okay, now maybe I can start on the leaf raking (should have started about 10 days ago, and now has rained the last 2 days).

Yes it was a GREAT day to ride in western Michigan. Your bike looks GREAT again Davey!!!
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Had a nice mild 50 degree day after the cold rain/snow over the weekend today so I took off of work early to go out to the Air Force Base Hospital's Emergency Room and since my step-son borrowed my truck, his car is in the shop, I rode the Bandit out there and back. I took the highway out there, about 25 miles, but decided to come back the slightly longer and more fun way giving myself about 65 miles for the afternoon. The ride back felt good although the reason I went to the hospital kept any enthusiasm in check; I'll ask folks for advice on that in a different thread. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, in the mid-60s, so I may try to get out after work for a little while since we head back to the 30s and low 40s by the weekend.
                  sigpic
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    Had a nice mild 50 degree day after the cold rain/snow over the weekend today so I took off of work early to go out to the Air Force Base Hospital's Emergency Room and since my step-son borrowed my truck, his car is in the shop, I rode the Bandit out there and back. I took the highway out there, about 25 miles, but decided to come back the slightly longer and more fun way giving myself about 65 miles for the afternoon. The ride back felt good although the reason I went to the hospital kept any enthusiasm in check; I'll ask folks for advice on that in a different thread. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, in the mid-60s, so I may try to get out after work for a little while since we head back to the 30s and low 40s by the weekend.
                    Maybe you can take a ride over to Steve's tomorrow and try to get Stator's Journal back... 🤔
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                      Maybe you can take a ride over to Steve's tomorrow and try to get Stator's Journal back... ��
                      Quit. I have tried and even asked him about it earlier this week. Enough is enough
                      sigpic
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I got in 175 miles today in the sweltering heat of 72°. Man it felt good. Yesterday was 140 miles with temps in the low to mid 60's.

Tonight's low is projected at 42° and tomorrow's high is forecast to be only 45°. May can't get here too soon for me.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

grrrrr. Southerners and their motorcycle riding stories. grumblegrumble.

On a positive note, I'm thinking it's time to get out the sled cuz all we need is a couple more inches of snow.

Dern things use a lot of gas though.
                          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                          82 gs1100L probably the next project
                          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

21'F on my ride in, Snow and ice... Having 3 wheels for this stuff is awesome! Just a new type of riding, I feel like a noob all over again!

Less Fuel than a sled, last tanks was still 70MPG. I think I might get better as I found a new route that keeps my speed in the 40's

Cheers!
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Justin, you're a madman. Love it!
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

That's very cool J. I wonder how something like that would work on a gz250. We still have one of those. Can't bring myself to sell it.
                                2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                                82 gs1100L probably the next project
                                1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                                1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Working...
                                X