Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Beautiful bike Dave.
    Thanks! I resisted as long as I could....

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
    Kool Kat 
    It really is!

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
    Ok ok....so we need a full review of the new Katana. Like now.
    Hmm, a full review after only putting 10kms on it so far? Well, it's more comfortable than the original Katana!

More to follow.
    2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
    2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Waiting for Trevor to comment about the handlebars.... 3... 2... 1...
      2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Left out early Saturday morning to return Joe's bike and recover mine from his garage. Weather ended up being nice, so we got out late morning and rode about 120 miles around the Cherokee and Nantahala National Forests. Joe wanted to try out a new route off the Cherohala Skyway. It was a nice route, but turned into a dirt/gravel road. We rode it anyway because we're rugged adventures.

Here we are taking a break right after the road stopped being paved, trying to decide to turn back or not. We decided to bravely move forward.

The road ran right along the North River

Most of the road looked like this, so it was pretty easy going. Some of it was a little sketchier, but it was fine, and fun, and we didn't get stuck behind a parade of Mini Coopers like we did on the Skyway.

We stopped at the Deal Gap resort for a break before heading back to Joe's. Of course Killboy caught us on the way back. At least this time we were both on motorbikes instead of in Joe's truck.

The weather ended up being great with just a little rain, the colors in the mountains were nice, and it really was a great day riding with a good friend. Thanks Joe!
        Last edited by gbw; 10-26-2020, 10:59 PM.
        Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
        Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Greg, good to see you got El Tigre sorted out and you and Joe got out for a nice scenic ride.

It took me a few minutes to find North River Road on a map; haven't been down that one. Nice!

Around here, the deer activity is ramping up -- LOTS more dead deer along the road in the last week or so -- so I'm sticking to the city for the next several weeks.

On November 9, 2013, I hit a seven point buck on my KLR650 south of Indy and collected my third broken left femur and second broken right wrist. I've never paid much attention to hunting and had no idea that weekend was the very height of the rut around here. Pretty much the single most dangerous day to ride.

Deer are always a danger, of course, but late October through November is much more dangerous; they're moving around a lot more trying to breed and fatten up, and paying even less attention than usual, if that's even possible for such an incredibly brainless creature. So in late fall, I can't really even enjoy myself anyway. There's a very unpleasant recording looping through my head that gets very loud and intense on days that smell of late autumn's mostly fallen leaves, and especially on crisp cloudless mornings when the sky is that intense blue unique to late fall.

Eat more venison.

I've never bothered to track my yearly mileage, but the travel restrictions this spring and summer definitely put a crimp in things. We eventually figured out how to ride in a socially distant and responsible manner and did our best to catch up.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Awesome!!!
            Congrats on the Katana!
            Did you swap out the GSX-S750?
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
              Left out early Saturday morning to return Joe's bike and recover mine from his garage. Weather ended up being nice, so we got out late morning and rode about 120 miles around the Cherokee and Nantahala National Forests. Joe wanted to try out a new route off the Cherohala Skyway. It was a nice route, but turned into a dirt/gravel road. We rode it anyway because we're rugged adventures.

Here we are taking a break right after the road stopped being paved, trying to decide to turn back or not. We decided to bravely move forward.

The road ran right along the North River

Most of the road looked like this, so it was pretty easy going. Some of it was a little sketchier, but it was fine, and fun, and we didn't get stuck behind a parade of Mini Coopers like we did on the Skyway.

We stopped at the Deal Gap resort for a break before heading back to Joe's. Of course Killboy caught us on the way back. At least this time we were both on motorbikes instead of in Joe's truck.

The weather ended up being great with just a little rain, the colors in the mountains were nice, and it really was a great day riding with a good friend. Thanks Joe!
              Greg
              Glad to see the Triumph is back!
              Looks like an awesome ride!
              Take care and enjoy the twilight of the season!
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

That looks like an excellent ride Mr. GBW.

So last Friday was a total fluke. Mid 70's and sunny in between cold, rainy days of Fall. Work got "canceled".

I decided it'd be a good day for a bike n hike in the nearby Letchworth State Park.

The park is actually kinda crowded these days but it was early and I went to the East side which is less popular (and free).

Parked at a random spot, got off the bike, grabbed a beer and climbed up this hill. It's higher than it looks. Had to take a minute to breath at the top.

It's basically the inside of a big loop in the Genesee River so I walked along the edge of the gorge all the way around til I got back to where the bike was parked. Perfect walking day with great views all the way.

Back at the bike I grabbed another beer and wandered down the hill a ways. I started watching my step when I saw this little guy in case there were bigger, more scary friends sunning themselves.

I came across this pond which I believe is called a Bow Lake. A spot where the river ran before it changed course possibly hundreds or even thousands of years ago.

This picture was from a different ride but is taken at a spot about half way through my walk.

The next day I was helping a friend put a roof on his barn and swear I saw snowflakes, Soooo.....
                2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                82 gs1100L probably the next project
                1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                  Awesome!!!
                  Congrats on the Katana!
                  Did you swap out the GSX-S750?
                  It was sort of an impulse buy... a dealership out of town is owned by a Suzuki nut (lucky for him he owns a Suzuki store) and he came down to buy my '85 Katana 750 pop-up for his collection. Before he did, we were talking about the 2020 Katana and he said that he had a demo that he could bring down with him if I wanted to try it. Freaking pushers feeding off of the vulnerable! True to his word, not five minutes after I got home from work yesterday, he rolled up with this spaceship in the back of his truck. It was the first time I'd seen one in person and I have to say, I was blown away. I liked it in pictures but it's really something else in the metal.

Even at two grand off of MSRP being a demo (lightly used demo, just 260kms on the odometer), it was still pretty spendy so my visions of new Kat ownership were starting to slip away... until he took a look around my garage and threw healthy trade-in values on my 2015 GSX-S750 and 2017 VanVan200... long story short, three old bikes left and one new one stayed. So yes, the GSX-S750 is gone as is my beloved 2017 VanVan200... and the aforementioned pop-up Katana.

Now I just need to not refill my garage with more stray Suzukis. I must be strong. I must be strong.
                  2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
                    It was sort of an impulse buy... a dealership out of town is owned by a Suzuki nut (lucky for him he owns a Suzuki store) and he came down to buy my '85 Katana 750 pop-up for his collection. Before he did, we were talking about the 2020 Katana and he said that he had a demo that he could bring down with him if I wanted to try it. Freaking pushers feeding off of the vulnerable! True to his word, not five minutes after I got home from work yesterday, he rolled up with this spaceship in the back of his truck. It was the first time I'd seen one in person and I have to say, I was blown away. I liked it in pictures but it's really something else in the metal.

Even at two grand off of MSRP being a demo (lightly used demo, just 260kms on the odometer), it was still pretty speedy so my visions of new Kat ownership were starting to slip away... until he took a look around my garage and threw healthy trade-in values on my 2015 GSX-S750 and 2017 VanVan200... long story short, three old bikes left and one new one stayed. So yes, the GSX-S750 is gone as is my beloved 2017 VanVan200... and the aforementioned pop-up Katana.

Now I just need to not refill my garage with more stray Suzukis. I must be strong. I must be strong.
                    Wow that's some wheeling and dealing, still think you made out like a Bandit... I mean Katana.

The moon and planets must be aligned for I did my annual mile crunching and see the TUX is just not being ridden as much as years past... only 900 miles on. I actually listed the little nifty 250 for sale the other day, likely won't sell for what i want for it before the snow flies but it will likely sell quickly next spring. Just time to refresh inventory and I'm looking hard at the CT125 hunter cub and now the H'ness Cb350, if that ever comes state side.

Bonneville will crest 100K miles some point next year although I'm going to tour duty the VMAX for a year, if I like it more. Need to install cruise control on the Max to make that more feasible, current bars give me right elbow pain on long rides. I am currently prospecting for the next high mile sport touring rig, GSX-S1000F is on that short list... Why I'd love some impressions on your new Zook!

Anyway it was an awesome story Dave! Can't wait for a more thorough write up on your impressions of the Katana.

Enjoy and ride fast!
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Nope, not riding today! Temperature dropped 40° in two days and we got six inches of snow. Mostly melted from the roads and sidewalks in a couple of hours though. Temps should be back up into the 60's by the weekend. Crazy weather!

Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

It dropped into the 60's here this week. Good weather for:

535605F7-B267-4D5E-AEB8-878A6983218F.jpg
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

And so it goes:

B504526A-DFEB-4007-A3E0-C5E0B2ADB22E.jpg
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Yes!!!
                            That Con-Rod is huge.
                            How goes surgery?
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Getting there:

E7D11EC3-C28D-4EC2-B8B1-0413CF4570EE.jpg
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Dang making time!
                                Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                                X