Evening ride

Trevor, pics not showing up, again.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Another corn field sighting, geez these things are all over the place. Different bike today also.

IMG_20210723_075902978 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr
      Last edited by alke46; 07-24-2021, 09:34 AM.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Went for early morning ride, down to beach, and went for pier walk,

(too busy down there to avoid cars and such in view)

Overcast and Hazy this morning, but not really fog - maybe that firesmoke from out west

About as much sun as could see. When out on pier this time of year, even at 8am, the people are part of the scene.

then downtown to coffee shop.
        Sitting there, thinking of where to go for ride .. . . . . . .

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
        Another corn field sighting, .......,
        Ah... okay....

and

cat tails along the river (same road)

Thought of blueberry fields that are along that way too, but no interesting place to pull off.

ANd this place, that not sure if got pic of this bike there or not

Was good to be out for about 3 hours.
        Last edited by Redman; 07-24-2021, 02:19 PM. Reason: pier pics from camera

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

@Redman. Dave, that's the same cornfield I posted a pic of. Why didn't you give me a call, we could have had a cup of coffee nearby.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
            @Redman. Dave, that's the same cornfield I posted a pic of. Why didn't you give me a call, we could have had a cup of coffee nearby.
            Compare your pic to mine, you will see that I was going in the other direction.
            But, yah, I should have called before I got there.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Friday night by moonlight around midnight. I had considered tweaking the exposure to make it brighter, but... this is pretty much the lovely reality of the moment. http://Moonlit by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Glen, I like the moonlit darkness of your photo. Nice one.

Don’t know what it is about my bike and rattlesnakes. This one posed real pretty for me.

Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                  2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Over the weekend I made another trip to visit Joe Nardy in Maryville TN. We rode many of the fun roads in the area Saturday and Sunday, and got to have dinner with Mr. & Mrs. BAATFAM Saturday night. Absolutely the best way to spend a weekend - good friends and good roads.

Saturday Joe and I both rode our Triumph Tiger 1050s onto the Foothills Parkway, then over Deal's Gap (Tail of the Dragon), down 28 to Robbinsville, then over the Cherohala Skyway to Telico Plains.

On the way to Robbinsville, we stopped at the Fontana dam. I've ridden in the area for decades and never stopped here before. It's quite a sight to behold.

From the top:

From the bottom: (picture can't do justice. It's over 400 feet high!)

When we pulled into the gas station at Telico Plains and parked, Joe's Tiger was GUSHING oil. I mean a solid stream, a half inch think, POURING out the bottom of the bike. One look at the filter and I knew the problem. He had a K&N oil filter. I'd had this exact same issue a few year back. I recommend NOT using K&N oil filters.

There were probably 2 quarts of oil on the ground.

I made a quick run to the nearest Advanced Auto Parts (15 miles away). $85 (oil, filter, funnel, drain pan, oil dry) and about 2 hours later and we were on our way!

All that excitement and we still weren't late for dinner with the BAATFAMses
                    Last edited by gbw; 07-27-2021, 09:25 AM.
                    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Bike and Hike at Rattlesnake Hill WMA (state forest). This is the foot path (off limits to the bike dang it).

Walked about 2 1/2 miles to get to this point. The bike is parked way out at the far end of this picture.

On the way back down to the paved road. Steeper than it looks.

2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                      82 gs1100L probably the next project
                      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                        All that excitement and we still weren't late for dinner with the BAATFAMses
                        And we were so glad to spend time with you all....Thanks.
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

In the past 6 days of work, I've ridden in 5. Not scenic, but satisfying.
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                            . . . .
                            . . .
                            When we pulled into the gas station at Telico Plains and parked, Joe's Tiger was GUSHING oil. I mean a solid stream, a half inch think, POURING out the bottom of the bike. One look at the filter and I knew the problem. He had a K&N oil filter. I'd had this exact same issue a few year back. I recommend NOT using K&N oil filters.. . . . .
                            Yikes! Is it the rubber gasket comes loose....? or the filter unscrews...? dont know?

Good that you were able to resolve the situation and continue on.

Nice pics.

Comment

On my morning ride today, a funny (odd) thing happened. I was on a lightly travelled road with clear vision so I decided to redline the bike in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

I should have prefaced this by saying I have a faulty ground wire somewhere yet to be determined and my right side turn signal has been working only sporadically.
                              Well after doing the redlining, I looked down and the right t/s was flashing even though I had not touched it. The rest of the way home, nearly 100 miles, it would just keep coming on until finally I just held the button down like when shutting if off.

So finally home and the headlight comes out of the bucket so I will remove and replace any and all bullet connectors and make sure every connection is clean and lubed. It's going to be too warm and humid to ride for the rest of the week anyway so I guess it is shop time now.

Otherwise, the bike ran good I guess except for the poor gas mileage and the oil consumption.
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                                Yikes! Is it the rubber gasket comes loose....? or the filter unscrews...? dont know?
                                K&N weld a nut to the oil filter. Seems like a great idea. Makes it easy to install and remove.

But sometimes the weld breaks and makes a hole in the filter.

If you search for "K&N oil filter failure" you'll find several class action lawsuits, many forum posts, and some YouTube videos.

Joe got lucky that he caught it right when it happened, and that it happened right as we were stopping for a break. It's not even worth thinking about his rear tire covered in oil, or his engine locking up 30 minutes earlier when we were railing across the Cherohala Skyway.
                                Last edited by gbw; 07-27-2021, 09:23 AM.
                                Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                                Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Working...
                                X