No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm riding to work 4 days out of five now. The weather is here!
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
      It's a great picture though! as are the others here! Any pix iI take are pretty dull and astronomy shots? mostly impossible...
      I edited the pic so I don't feel dumb every time I look through this thread (which is the best thread on the GSR, thanks Trevor).

Astronomy shots never come out as good as ya want ain't it? I just take them so I'll remember how cool it looked at the time I think.
      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
      82 gs1100L probably the next project
      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        Awesome!!!
        Enjoy the great riding weather while you have it!
        Best,
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          grrrrrrr.....

Comment

Not today, but Sunday I rode to Joe Nardy's house south of Knoxville. It rained most of the day, but was still a nice ride. Plan was for us to ride the area Monday, then I had a lovely back-roads route planned to get home Tuesday.

Joe has really set himself up well at the base of the Smoky Mountains.

We met another friend and had a blast riding around the Cherohala Skyway from Telico Plains TN into Robbinsville NC. We got to ride through lots of fog and chilly rain at some of the higher elevations. Still, a very good ride with good friends. My front brakes started acting funny. I expected they were worn out, so I relied entirely on my rear brakes the rest of the day. Joe let me "borrow" the front pads from his Tiger so I could ride home the next day. BAATFAM joined us for dinner and we had a good time catching up. It was just too short.

9 am Tuesday I left out of Joe's headed home. Plan was to ride across the Dragon, then the Skyway, then down to Reliance, then more-or-less follow TN 30 toward home. I made it across the dragon...

Then my trip abruptly ended. Seems my charging system failed. I pulled off the side of 129, grabbed my phone to call Joe, and of course had no cell coverage. So I enjoyed the views for a bit.

Shortly, a Super Tenere pilot stopped to check on me. He took Joe's info and made contact once back in cell coverage. I hung out on the side of the road a couple of hours until Joe could get there. Quite a lovely place to relax a bit.

Joe arrived and we verified my defunct charging system. I thought I'd left that behind me when I moved from my vintage Suzuki into more modern motorcycles. Guess not. We loaded the bike in his "new" truck and I got my bonus run over The Dragon.

Joe loaned me his Tiger for my ride home. Of course I to had return it's brake pads first. Since our Tigers are essentially the same, my luggage slotted right on his bike. Looked funny with black bags on a white bike, but totally functional. I was out of time for a leisurely back-roads route, so hit I-40 and blasted home in 3 hours.

All-in-all a successful adventure. Now I get to visit again soon to recover my bike and return his. Looking forward to that trip as well.
            Last edited by gbw; 10-18-2020, 08:02 AM.
            Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
            Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Bummer about the bike but seemed like a good weekend for ya GBW!

Hope the Triumph gets back to running condition sooner vs later! Mine has been acting funny as I hone in on 75K miles. Sound like a great ride is in the cards to swap back the loaner!

That Toyota pickup is gorgeous... Very jealous. If only we could find offerings like that up here in the North East!

Take care,
              Last edited by Jedz123; 10-17-2020, 07:15 PM.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

“.... If only we could find offerings like that up here in the North East!”

Right? The North East. AKA, the salt belt.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                  . . . . . . ......
                  Thanks for posting your adventure Greg.

Most riders say to not enjoy the scenery on the Dragon.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

No pics.... went out for a ride this afternoon after wrapping up some mundane house stuff. I was quickly reminded of one of the joys of late night riding... no traffic. While the sun shone there were lots of people out driving.... s l o w l y - in Sunday mode checking out foliage, farms, etc. Thankfully they were at least well behaved. I couldn't find enough clear roads to relax, find a groove, and let my mind unwind. Poor route choice on my part.
                    But... it was seat time. The temperature was agreeable, puffy clouds floated in the sky, it was a rare daylight ride, and least once I thought to myself that I still love this old pile below me transporting me around with Old Skool class, so not all bad.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Excellent!
                      Glad you enjoy the old bike still Glen. I know I enjoy the pictures!
                      No pics from me either but ended up with 1000 miles last week. Winter is fast approaching. More rain this week. Seems that 60-70% of my rides have at least one good spell of rain.
                      Bonneville should hit 75K some point this week. I swapped the front rotors since the Bandit ones were getting far too loose for comfort... Now I'm back to realigning the custom brackets and mounts since the post factory replacements aren't quite to the same spec as the OEM Bandit 1200 ones.
                      Hope everyone has a great week!
                      Best,
                      -Jedz
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Justin, I admire your dedication. You covered 1k miles last week, while I'm at 1500... for the year, which is a good one considering that it was all local rides and not the (no longer) yearly trip to PA. Driving a company van is a double edged sword. ....
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                          Justin, I admire your dedication. You covered 1k miles last week, while I'm at 1500... for the year, which is a good one considering that it was all local rides and not the (no longer) yearly trip to PA. Driving a company van is a double edged sword. ....
                          All relative! No big out of state trips for me either but I have become so acquainted with Vermont riding... Really a gem of a state for miles, not hard to find a hundred everyday and more on the weekends!
                          Keep riding Glen! I love the night shots and I find it impressive the big blue girl is still producing trouble free miles for ya!
                          So I nailed it last night.... Went out for a little longer to grab it...

More dreary typical Vermont fall weather. Heavy to light rain... IN the mid 40's. 130ish miles after work.

Bike is starting to have some issues with it's secondary systems. ABS module is definitely broken... As in I clear the CEL and it goes right off with multiple ABS failures... Last 200 miles I have been riding without ABS or traction control. The primary systems seem to be working great. Brakes, Engine, transmission and suspension all in good knacker.

Plan to ride this one till I hit 100K miles. Mileage you would see on a Goldwing not a standard plain jane basic motorcycle.

Love this bike... Absolutely love it... It may not be the "best" bike I have ever owned but it is definitely my favorite... My "GS" that I will think fondly of in 30 years.

Best,

-Jedz
                          Last edited by Jedz123; 10-20-2020, 07:41 AM.
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                            Bike is starting to have some issues with it's secondary systems.
                            Interesting. Is it still under warranty?

I've gotta believe you have the highest mileage example of this model year on the road today. The Triumph dealer must be amazed. I wonder what they think of you in Hinkley.
                            Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                            Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                              Interesting. Is it still under warranty?

I've gotta believe you have the highest mileage example of this model year on the road today. The Triumph dealer must be amazed. I wonder what they think of you in Hinkley.
                              I know I've moved some heads in Hinkley, they were scratching their heads over the blown transmission at 20K miles or 6 months of ownership. They sent a newly designed transmission (now found in the 2019 and up models) for my bike in October of 2018... Triumph has been in great support, told me they would cover me until the warranty elapsed but strongly urged me to move from 10K mile oil changes to 5K miles oil changes... Bike has been a stump puller since.

My dealer loves me... I'm the brand ambassador there and before COVID led demo rides and talked Bonneville's with possible customers. I will have them perform the 80K mile service to ensure it alerts the big wigs in Triumph of what's going on.

Warranty has elapsed as it's only for 2 years since the purchase date. I bought the bike in April 24th 2018 brandy new. On my own at this point, I have had a few electrically related failures. This time it looks to be something in the ABS unit or ABS circuitry that is shorting out to cause multiple failures in the system.

I don't think there is a Water-cooled 1200cc variant of the Bonneville with this many miles. Could be wrong, when the bike hit 60K miles earlier this year (100K kms) Triumph reached out to congratulate me on the milestone and thanked me for still riding with them...

Keep on, trucking on!

Best,
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

That's a lot of miles dude. I think the ugly probably has about that many but can't prove it. Too many crashes. My beemer has 113k and I don't know how long the abs has been broken but it doesn't work on anything I own and I always thought it was annoying when it did work.

Now if you'll excuse me i'm gonna drink 5 more cups of coffee and enjoy the rain.

Comment

Working...
                                X