No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember taking a ride in February on my GS. I took a ride in my mind today....does that count? The ice and snow didn't affect me at all on my imaginary ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
      I went out today for my birthday...

... I'm not handicapped so I guess I'm just... old.

Boy that's a frightfully attractive bike! Aptly named too as it does take on the curves of a falcon!

Very interesting carvings there. Where is that?

Oh, and Happy Birthday!
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Thunderbird Park?
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Those carvings are at the Songhees Firsrt Nations Health and Wellness Centre. Beautiful.
          No signature

Comment

Happy Birthday HayaBuser. Love your bike!

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Hayabusas are amazing, and Hayabuser-happy birthday!
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

With a fresh oil and filter change, valves adjusted, and full tank of fuel I headed South yesterday morning. My plan was to visit my son at his school and maybe meet Mr Bill while in Las Cruces. While the visit with my boy was nice, meeting my Southern GSR neighbor has yet to happen (my fault).

Here's some pics of yesterday's ride starting with Caballo Lake shortly after sunrise.

I like stopping for pics. May be maddening if anyone rides with me, but that hasn't been a problem

After leaving Cruces early afternoon I had plenty of daylight hours left so figured I'd explore a bit before heading back home. I headed North for a bit to the Elephant Butte lake area and was drawn to Hwy 52 for some reason. Through the small towns of Cuchillo and Winston, passing Reilly Peak and Iron Mountain was a great ride.

Warning, fun roads ahead...

Stopped to say hi to a few locals taking a stroll...

Then a crucial decision. To the left, a really long way back to home but paved, straight ahead dirt but more direct. A very well leveled and maintained dirt road at that. Hopefully I don't regret this but....

This was the finest dirt road in the state! Easily cruising at 50 mph in straight spots, very cautiously of course. Even the cattle guard crossings were flat. Steep passes and wash out spots had pavement, but otherwise just dirt as far as I could see. I really wish I had planned better, had a GPS with the ability to tell if roads were paved or not....someday maybe!

To my delight the road ended at the VLA radio telescope. I had wanted to visit here and stumbled acrossed it.

My next atop was Magdelana for gas. I decided once again to take the unknown road from there. Heading North through the Alamo Navajo Indian Reservation. This was a decent road at first, then after a while that changed....drastically! Pavement got rippled, split, then non existant. There is a huge difference in road conditions on the Res.

Too late to turn around, so carefully press on. Now I'm regretting the comment I made to Mr Bwringer about the KLR650, wishing I had mine back. Hindsight, what can I say.

No GS's were harmed in the making of this post! Just a scratch on the Windjammer, case guard and side bag. This was however the end of a fun day. Upon being upright again, nothing worked. No lights, couldn't bump start, tested battery and completely dead. Maybe this caused or simply revealed a bigger problem. Only 45 miles to go, almost home so I made the humbling call. Honey, the trailer is ready to go, would you mind picking me up? Hours later in pitch dark nowhere of the Navajo Reservation, I discovered a treasure the Indians have enjoyed for hundreds of year, silence! It was awesome, standing under the clear starry sky. Watching falling meteorites and satellites zip by miles above my head. Truly the best break down I've experienced.

The only thing worse than a bike on that road, was a trailer with a bike in it on that road! Home just before midnight, unloaded, and crashed HARD! 18 hours of adventure, 520 miles, and a few pics so I don't forget!

Sorry for the incredibly long post.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  Dave, happy birthday!
                  Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                  Boy that's a frightfully attractive bike! Aptly named too as it does take on the curves of a falcon!

Very interesting carvings there. Where is that?

Oh, and Happy Birthday!
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                  Happy Birthday HayaBuser. Love your bike!

Ed

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  Hayabusas are amazing, and Hayabuser-happy birthday!
                  Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone!
                  2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                  2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

How old did you get?
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

(.............. my edit for space see original post)
                      With a fresh oil and filter change, valves adjusted, and full tank of fuel I headed South yesterday morning. My plan was to visit my son at his school and maybe meet Mr Bill while in Las Cruces. ................................................

No GS's were harmed in the making of this post! Just a scratch on the Windjammer, case guard and side bag. This was however the end of a fun day. Upon being upright again, nothing worked. No lights, couldn't bump start, tested battery and completely dead. Maybe this caused or simply revealed a bigger problem. ..................edit

Man, nice ride! I wish today I had your climate! but oh sorry for this! . Looking at your bike looks exactly as sad as my bike lying down. Did it fail because fluid drained out the tube? I am slowly replacing batteries with sealed ones but meanwhile I am thinking a rainy day project would be to do something with the breathing tube! some precaution ...If it had say, a tire's air valve in it, it might vent when there is the pressure it is meant to relieve? but not drain from a dropped bike...?
                      add: I just looked it up..I think a "valve" might be worth a try with the right spring. I'm guessing a bike left down on its side long enough will only lose half its juice but ...
                      Yuasa battery FAQ, including common questions about battery storage, maintenance, warranty, lifespan, installation and more.
                      Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-26-2017, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Go AGM for batteries.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Gorminrider, I have an AGM sealed battery as Mr Pilot mentioned. Its odd that an hour before this spill the engine started as it always had. I was prepared for electrical repairs, but only in Ideal conditions. Blowing dirt, fading daylight, and exhaustion set in. Tow home, deal with it later!
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Sounds like a great ride, and you even saw the good in your tip over. Sometimes life forces us to stop and take notice of our surroundings. Glad there were no injuries, and minimal bike harm.

I'm thinking an electrical connection got knocked loose. Even a dry charged battery shold at least turn on the lights.

edit.... just saw the sealed battery comment.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I just popped in another battery and it fired up. A little slow to start maybe due to the tip over. However that AGM battery is not chargeable, maybe overcharged, rattled loose internals??? I checked the output and now it's charging at 18+ volts. Guess what I sold off of my parts bike to a friend... the R/R, Ugh! I'll get it sorted and back to good health soon!
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

....... I checked the output and now it's charging at 18+ volts.....!
                                you have a stock type R/R,... or one with a sense wire? If the sence wire came loose in tip over, or if the circuit it is connected to has lost power, then the R/R will put out everything it can. (had that happen, in rain storm, 250 miles from home)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                                X