Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, nice job. Bike look wonderful.
    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      Wife suggested a Sunday brunch/lunch ride.
      She did not ride her bike at all last year (had knee surgery). And this is her first time this year, so about first time in 2 years.

Went on road that follow river, thru countryside.
      Did not stop for any pictures, I knew she has trouble stopping on side of road.
      Rode about 25 miles, into suburban Grand Rapids, and then a mile or so to this dinner.
      (Not at all picturesque, but documentary.)

On way back, did stop on side of road on this bridge (with wide paved shoulder) to discuss/confirm/revise our route to avoid heavy traffic, and snuck in a quick photo that somewhat shows the road and us.

Overall, She really didn't enjoy it, complained about all kinds of things, and said she suggested it for me, since she knew my work has been stressful lately. But I appreciated it anyway.

I suppose I should repay the favor, and do something she will enjoy, like go sit in sand and bake in the sun at the beach for no good reason..... sometime.... raining now.

So glad for you to get out together! Two years, wow. Good on her for getting back in the saddle!

My wife rode for a while but prefers to be passenger now. We followed a river too but through the mountains today. Left for our ride at 2:30 and came home 9:30 this evening . Funny moment when we came out of the mountains where it was nice and cool, she tapped me on the shoulder and said "someone left the oven door open".
      Good times.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

No, those rotors came off of the parts bike that I have that only has 13,000 miles on it. Of course I cleaned them up and repainted them during the restoration.
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Got let out of work early so rode up to Liberty Reservoir, about 30 miles NW of Baltimore MD (quite the patriot huh?).

IMG_2060.jpg

A bit of trivia: There are no natural lakes in Maryland...

Comment

Enjoying the nice weather... FINALLY!!!

Hit 5K on the new bike too!

Despite giving me grief I still love the bike... It's like owning a GS... Just as reliable :P, something breaks but it will still get you home, or to the dealer
            Last edited by Jedz123; 07-03-2017, 06:52 PM.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I traded in my planned ride last night for an early morning ride.
              Got up at 6 with the dog, took care of him, then went out for a while.
              Leaving town I saw a street sign laying in the road, broken off at the ground and it's post bent into a U. A few hundred feet down was a new Audi on the other side of the road with 5 or 6 college kids standing around it. A gash in the bumper and a giant smash mark in the windshield in front of the driver.
              I pulled over to check and they were ok and waiting for the police.

Had a very enjoyable hour and a half, stopped for a coffee by Allentown (NJ) lake and rode home among sod fields and horse farms. When I got home everyone was still asleep. Nice.
              A great way to start the day.
              During the ride, my turn signal broke off and scuffed up my recently painted wheel... oh well, could have been a lot worse..

http://Oops.... by Glenn Brenner, on Flickr

http://Oops.... by Glenn Brenner, on Flickr
              Last edited by dorkburger; 07-04-2017, 09:56 AM.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Speaking of turn signals, if anyone needs a set of fronts for the 1150ES, I have a pretty nice set.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Wifes work and my work has had some changes this year, resulting in me not haveing as many occasions to get out for day rides on the weekends nor evening rides during the week.

But last night I Had the evening to myself.
                  What to do...?
                  Did not take long to decide to ride the River Rd - River Rd - River Rd route along Muskegon River from Muskegon to Newaygo. Which I know I have not done at all this year, because I have not yet seen the new bridge that had a good portion of it closed last year. In past years I would go this way about every 4 or 6 weeks.

I call it the RiverRd- RiverRd- RiverRd route because it is a route of about 30 miles, about 8 or 10 turns, on one side of the river, then turn and go acrross river, and turn to go along that side of the river on that River Rd, then turn to cross river again, and turn to go along on that RIver Road, and a few other turns. About 30 miles from Muskegon to Newaygo. Any visitor to this area that wants to go for ride, this is probably where I will take you. (Yes, that is an invite.)

(The first half of this route is Greg78GS750 ride to his work.)

Had diner in Newaygo, and then headed back on return route.

Not having much of any time restraints, I took a few side roads that have looked interesting.
                  Including one that quickley became a gravel road, but was hard packed, and with all the rain lately was not even dusty.

The road made a turn and there was a deer standing in the road.
                  I expected it to just bound off into the woods, so I kept going, but it turned and started trotting down the road. So we were both just going along in same direction. I pondered if I could or should get camera of of my jacket pocket... no that would be stupid, on a gravel road.... but road surface was good, I knew camera was inside my unzipped leftr pocket, naw, if anything happend that would be a real stupid sounding story, following a deer on a gravel road trying to take as picture... but what a uniqe opportunity... I told myself that if anything happens to just drop the camera... okay... the deer had been aways ahead of me... but about time I had camera ready the deer slowed down and I was catching up to it.... got a picture (have practiced operating the camera one-handed) and put camera back in pocket

Then it turned and went into the woods next to a creek.

Later I was thinking that if someone saw that, they could accuse me of tracking it down and harassing it. But I was just going along and then it started trotting down the road in same direction ahead of me some distance.
                  Looking at pictures now, I see headlights in my mirror. And, yah, after I stopped, there was a truck that went bye real slow.
                  Last edited by Redman; 07-07-2017, 12:53 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I stopped there by the creek and could see the deer walking further away, stopping to look back at me.
                    I Stood there looking at the scene for a while. THe water flowing, the sun low in the sky, Birds and big huge dragon flys, and some flowers.

THen went back to paved road and continued on toward Muskegon..

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

hiya Dave, I've missed the last few days riding due to a leaky valve cover gasket, seems to happen about the time a valve check is due(coincidence?), but I picked a new one up today. I've been seeing lots of fox(es?) around camp lately....
                      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

HA! so, I google searched the flower you posted there and it came back: "best guess: flower". No kidding. Guess google doesn't know everything. Yet.
                        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Got into Muskegon, and down to the beach area as the sun was about to go behind clouds on the horizon, so no real sunset, but some color

A Harley rider stopped by there also. Was a friendly chatty guy, said he got the new bike for his retirement after having old bikes for a long time. He used to work here in my town back before I lived here so had somethings to chatt about. Seemed like a nice guy, said he wanted to keep the stock exhaust.
                          He was surprized to see that my bike was a Suzuki and then was more surprised when I told him it is an 82, then he wanted to take a better look,
                          Oh, a shaft drive he says, and Oh, four carburetors, he says

I could have gone for more of a ride. But I was enjoying not having any time contstraint, so just hung out there, chatting,.....
                          then the sun did peek thru a space in the cloud cover just above the horizon.

He stepped away to get picture of the sunset over the water.
                          I said "Here, let me get a picture for you of you and your bike and the sunset... so your picture is your picture, not like the other folks here tonight getting out of thier cars." He thought that was a good idea.

He offered to take my picture.

THis time of year, full sunset is almost 10pm here (on far west end of the time zone).

Got home about 10:30pm. SO had about a 5 hour adventure. Should do that more. Only about 120 miles, but enjoyable.

Last edited by Redman; 07-06-2017, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                            HA! so, I google searched the flower you posted there .......,.
                            My guess would some form of Tiger Lilly, some swamp/marsh variety, Marsh Tiger Lilly, is good enough guess for me.

That (and the deer) , just a short ways south of where when going east on River Road and turns north onto Holton-DuckLakeRd, but go south. Little Cedar Creek I see on map. Somewhat intersting place to stopp for a while... but, hey, you are in such an enviroment a lot on a routine basis.

Last edited by Redman; 07-06-2017, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                              HA! so, I google searched the flower you posted there and it came back: "best guess: flower". No kidding. Guess google doesn't know everything. Yet.

That is a Wood Lilly, native wild flower of Michigan.
                              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 07-07-2017, 06:41 AM.
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

My darling and I hit the road today for a few hours, local mountain roads. Planned about 45 miles, and ended up going about 80.
                                At one point we were rolling along and we were at an intersection and there was a century old abandoned institution just sitting right there. Boarded windows and mowed lawns. We followed the driveway around back to the main entrance and parked. Every window was broken, the shattered glass right there on the pavement, and occasionally doors yawned wide open. We glanced in and saw old wallpaper and flaky paint and collapsed ceiling tiles and fallen CAUTION tape. I don't know a LOT about old buildings, but I had a stone church once that needed tuckpointing, and this sandstone building had mortar in excellent condition.

I pull up the google on my phone and we find that we are at the abandoned Morris Memorial Hospital, which was built in the 1930s to care for young polio patients. When polio got eradicated in the 60s the building and grounds was deeded to the local town of Milton WV, and it was turned into a nursing home and residence. At some point it housed nearly 200 people, but as of ten years ago it housed two dozen or less, and they closed in 2009.

It's eerie. You could easily walk in and around, although you'd be trespassing, maybe charged with B&E, I don't know, if you were caught.

Here's one link about the place. And here's another, and one more.

My bike is centered in the left half of the B&W photo:

Morris Memorial Hospital, Milton WV by Kerry Bart, on Flickr

Morris Memorial Hospital, Milton WV by Kerry Bart, on Flickr
                                "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Working...
                                X