Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a good lookin' bike!

Anyone go for a ride today?
    I was out for a ride today on one of my twisty hilly routes. Went from double-yellow road to no lines no shoulders holler road. I was enjoying my ride when up ahead of me coming right towards me in the middle of the road is a guy riding an ATV, looking straight to his left. I lay on the horn and scoot to the right. He orients himself and scoots to his left -- even more directly towards me! Lucky for me there wasn't a steep dropoff to my right, because off the pavement I went. I was able to keep upright and going forward, and within a few lengths was able to steer back onto the road.

You'd think "keep your eyes on the road" wouldn't be such a novel idea.

Anyhoo, the ride was able to clear my mind of the muck that guy tossed into it by not looking where he was driving.
    Ride on!
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Charmayne and I decided to run out to Chillicothe to have lunch today at the Old Canal Smokehouse restaurant - http://www.oldcanalsmokehouse.com/. They have a fantastic smoked potato salad and their brisket is very good.

Afterwards, we ran south on Ohio Hwy 772 and took some other interesting side roads that were so rough at times I thought my eye teeth would fall out. Turning north on Hwy 41 and later OH-123, we ended the day with 242 miles.

Charmayne Ohio Hwy 772 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

During one of our last water stops, we discovered she is a bonafide killer of something. We aren't positive but we think a bird might have run into her bike (see the blood on her headlight) and hit her square in the shoulder. We discussed how much her shoulder hurt even with her gear on and it really makes me wonder how people can handle not wearing anything and still be hit by all of the bugs and such.

Charmaynes Headlight after bird strike by Scott Baker, on Flickr
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

A small windshield would help too. They don't have to be taller than 12" above the light.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Been busy, riding!
          3 months of ownership on my brand new Bonneville:

Great weekend about 700 miles total on.

I absolutely love this bike... So damn easy to ride big miles!
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I went for a ride to Delaware County Municipal Airport in Delaware county Ohio. I went for a ride in a 1928 Ford Tri-Motor airplane, "The Tin Goose" It was awesome. It's a very noisy airplane, a lot of mechanical music going there. The wood work done in the cabin was beautiful... It was a nice 375 mile ride with a little bit of rain on my way home. It sure was nice being able to go for a Sunday ride, Motorcycle and Airplane. ☺
            Attached Files
            Last edited by storm 64; 08-13-2018, 08:02 AM.
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

put on about 150 miles yesterday.
              A military museum in State College, PA.

And Poe Valley State Park. We sure do have some pretty beaches here in Central PA.
              Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 08-20-2018, 12:57 PM.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                ...we ran south on Ohio Hwy 772 and took some other interesting side roads that were so rough at times I thought my eye teeth would fall out. Turning north on Hwy 41 and later OH-123, we ended the day with 242 miles.
                Ooh, I have not been on that side of 23 -- my approach to Chillicothe is from the southeast (especially south of Jackson), so I know those roads. I'll have to check your roads out!
                "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

We actually have a new windshield for her but haven't taken the time to install it yet (probably will this week). We found out today, while replacing her front brake reservoir, that she did indeed hit a bird as she removed some feathers from her headlight.

Kerry, Hwy 772 is nice in my mind but should be run during the week as it seemed busier during the weekend

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Then next day the other 2 grandkids were there visiting also,

so had lots of stuff going on for a few days, didnt get out for other rides.
                    THen put bike back in storage mode... and headed home. <<heavy sigh>>
                    Redman, riding and being with your family, seems like you had the perfect trip. I like how you described the BMW owners breakfast and how each member tries to impress and one up the other. Then you go out and have as much fun as any of them just by keeping it simple. Thanks for sharing your pics.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                      Redman, riding and being with your family, seems like you had the perfect trip........................
                      Thanks for comment. Yah, was there at daughter's for 10 full days. Went out for 5-6 hour ride only twice, and a couple 2-3 hour rides, since had other objectives. Was good.

And, you know what...?
                      THis trip I didn't bother to post the BMW pics on either of the BMW forums. ...
                      Last edited by Redman; 08-16-2018, 09:27 PM. Reason: And, you know what...?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Rode into Grand Rapids last night.

Took the Shadow500 (that got for wife to learn on - seat hiegth concerns).
                        Went on road that somewhat follows the Grand River.

Have posted pics from this scene before.

And this scene

I have noticed this church before, I found it interesting scene mostly beacuse is so close to the road.
                        (need to decide if I want to submitt one of these to the Pic Of The Week game.)

Destination was the Summer Blues Series of free Wednesday night concerts (put on by a radio station).

Walter Trout this week.

Was a chance of rain (40% one hour and 30% the next hour, which is typical around here when is hot and humid, 85F & 80%) so not as many mo'cykles as usual.
                        Picture of parking lot is about 1/8th the parking area for mo'cykles.
                        Most of the "bikers" hanging around in the parking lot or the beer vendor area, few at the concert stage area.

Most of the concert goers bring lawn chairs, and sit there and half pay attention, maybe talking, maybe fussing with phone online. I think they come every week just for a night out of the house, or something. I was there to go for a ride and to see Walter Trout.

Walter Trout has been there about every year for the last 6 or so years, well, except for the year he was sick, near death, awaiting liver transplant. That year it was a benifit fund raiser concert to support his medical expences. (I bought a couple CDs). He said he keeps comming back to Grand Rapids to repay the favor (since they pay only about 25% of what he typically will get.). He did get the liver transplant, but by that time he was near death, and he talks about that on stage (and has some songs about that).

The Walter Trout week is the one I want to go to each year, maybe might go to one other during the summer, but make a point to go the Walter Trout. Is great to see such a national tallent in such a small concert, with out having to go to some crowded bar or stadium. Oh, and did I say its free......
                        And amazing that he plays so hard, for so long.

Walter Trout was with the John Mayhall Bluesbreakers, and Canned Heat, and others, and somewhere in there I think Buddy Guy.
                        One time he said the 5 years with Canned Heat accounts for about 80% of his liver damage.

Twice now I have heard him talk about when he was 17 years old and BB King came into the hardware store he was working at. He recognized BB and told him he was learning to play guitar and had bought some BBKing and other old time bluesman albums. He said BB stayed and talked to him for over an hour, and that gave him the encouragment to continue.

I did get rained on some on way home.
                        But good rides, and good night out.
                        Last edited by Redman; 08-16-2018, 09:39 PM. Reason: did get rained on some on way home.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Today, after going out for breakfast.

Smooth lake today, have Stand-Up-Paddleboards out there.

And Marines taking the beach too

On such a busy popular beach location, I was wondering of this was a recruiting technique.
                          Later thought was probably preparation for boot camp.

Comment

A friend of my wife's married her long time boyfriend today in Louisville Ohio (just south of Cleveland) so the wife and younger kids jumped into the Explorer while Charmayne climbed on to the Bandit with me. Unfortunately we left about an hour later than we should have this morning to enjoy a lot of twistiness on the way up but it was still an overall nice ride. Charmayne ended up driving the Explorer home after the wife had a drink and I finished the day at just over 400 miles round trip with all of the last bit on the slab. Now that I know Canton isn't as far as I originally thought, I'm tempted to go up there on the bike again just to look around the Pro Football Hall of Fame

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Hey Cowboy, I was romping around in the Akron/Canton aria yesterday too. I was going to the Air Show in Akron. I get to the gate and ask about motorcycle parking, the guy tells me to park by the Rubber Bowl and take the suttle bus over. No way was I doing that, so I went to a big field on the other side of the airport and watched from there. Then I stumbled upon a car show in North Canton, so I hung out there for a bit. I rode about 180 miles, slowly getting back into the game.
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                                I went for a ride to Delaware County Municipal Airport in Delaware county Ohio. I went for a ride in a 1928 Ford Tri-Motor airplane, "The Tin Goose" It was awesome. It's a very noisy airplane, a lot of mechanical music going there. The wood work done in the cabin was beautiful... It was a nice 375 mile ride with a little bit of rain on my way home. It sure was nice being able to go for a Sunday ride, Motorcycle and Airplane. ☺
                                Storm, i bet that ride on the plane was a blast.
                                Did you have to sign a liability waiver?
                                Plenty of video clips on-line. This one isn't great but does show a bit of the woodwork and inside roar from the engines.
                                17 March, 2017 I took a ride in a very well restored 1928 Ford Tri-Motor airplane. Serial number 8 out of 199 made and only about 5 left flying. Out of the P...
                                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X