No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went on a little trip for the past week with my buddy on our '77 GS550 and GS750s. Boston -> Pittsburgh -> Philadelphia -> NYC -> friends wedding -> Boston. Put another 1,500 miles on my GS750 without a hitch but did blow out my fork seals.

Left at 6pm last Thursday and rode 260 miles before finding somewhere in NJ to camp:

More Camping:

Pittsburgh:

Philly:

Friends wedding was a campout:

Took this cool picture at 1am:

1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Nice representing the GS, Sam.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

We took a nearly 400 mile ride today on the GS. Beautiful day for it and the bike ran flawlessly! I am just always so grateful for this machine. It's 35 years old and runs like a top, is powerful enough for the two of us,and gets 35-40 mpg. Plus it's easy enough for even me to wrench on when necessary (thanks to this fine forum of course).

Near White Sands Missile Range in Southern New Mexico is Space Port America. We made it there about an hour before closing time but apparently you have to book a tour to go inside. Oh well, the ride was fun and we got to see Elephant Butte Lake dam as well.

Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

1200 miles on this past week... It was quite the adventure to NY over the weekend, cut short when the Bonneville broke. All is good.

The Bonneville now has welded internals

So i met up with Steve Case with Special Case Customs and rode one of this Honda CB750's he built (frame up). He's going to be coming to GSR this year.

Very talented. Bike has been modified from frame up.

On Lake Ontario... Sodus was as far west as I made it over the weekend due to the shiftier shaft failure.

It was a good trip! Wrenching is as fun as riding, even if your break down +300 miles from home!
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Good that you had fun and didn't let a breakdown ruin your fun. Do you belong to the Iron Butt Association? http://ironbutt.com/rides/ss1000.htm

Comment

No i don't. I have yet to do a certified ride... I may grab one this fall when I do the MS5000 Challenge (More info can be found under current events @ www.Jedzmoto.com). I Need to hit a minimum of 5K miles in 50 days after hitting my sponsorship goal of $100.

So Plan to do at least one; 1K mile day by the end of this season.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

What actually broke on the Bonneville?
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  What actually broke on the Bonneville?
                  Here's a link to my thread over at Triumph RAT.NET
                  It was a sheer of a weak component on the gear change mechanism or gear shift shaft, a common issue it seems.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

So you have had issues with the Harley and the Triumph...I would stick to the GSs if I were you. 🙂
                    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                      So you have had issues with the Harley and the Triumph...I would stick to the GSs if I were you. 
                      This would be the first real break down in the +16K miles I've racked on this bike in the past 4 months, better even than the Kawasaki Concours and any of my GS bikes (The only bike that didn't give me grief was the Yamaha FZ1 after that many miles, hell even my Bandit broke a chain 15K miles into ownership)...

Even the big block GS needed some reinforcement on the clutch baskets and primaries as well so a little weld job on the internals didn't scare me in the slightest... A quick mend and she trucked me back home for another 500 miles with no grief, commuted into work today and I'm no way concerned, it's running like a top.

The HDs didn't get close to those miles and I had them for 12 months...
                      Last edited by Jedz123; 08-27-2018, 01:32 PM.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                        So you have had issues with the Harley and the Triumph...I would stick to the GSs if I were you. 
                        He's a big, corn fed, redneck MF'er from Vermont... he could break a football
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Aaah, so heavy footedness plus a tip over. Sounds reasonable. Glad it was a simple fix.
                          Last edited by dorkburger; 08-27-2018, 06:30 PM.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

20180827_144652.jpg
                            3 years since I have been on the site or ridden my bike. it was nice to get back on it

Comment

Originally posted by AMXsteve View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]56073[/ATTACH]
                              3 years since I have been on the site or ridden my bike. it was nice to get back on it
                              Another returning stranger...Welcome back. Hope all is well.
                              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

yea nice to be back. it's been a whirlwind couple years. your old bike still running strong by the way. he's running in 8s now

Comment

Working...
                                X