Installing Ninja Calipers and Salty Monk's adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Ninja Calipers and Salty Monk's adapter

I finally picked up some bolts today to install my new Ninja calipers for the twinpot upgrade and it's pretty obvious I have the wrong sized bolts in one spot and am unsure if I'm doing it right in the other.

Here's the front of the caliper on the fork:

and the inside:

Now the top bolt fits nicely so I know I don't need to change it. The bottom bolt sliding through the caliper is too long so I know I need to get a shorter one there. But that bolt at the bottom into the fork - is it the right length and I just need a nut on the other end?

Do I even have it connected properly?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

I've never installed one but from pics I've seen I thought the bracket went on the outside of the fork leg?

Comment

Have you tried to contact Salty?

Daniel

Comment

The bleeder should be on top, the larger diameter piston and cylinder should be on top, your calipers must be on the wrong side and upside down?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks Tom. I'll take it apart and try again.

I'm only testing the pieces for now and figured I'd leave Dan alone since it was Christmas Eve. He needs to spend that time with his family so I figured I'd put this out for the masses to help out with later when they had time.

Thanks again.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

I am not sure about whether it is on the proper side or not. But, you have to make sure the bolts aren't too long or they will catch on the rotor at bad times and lock up your front wheel. I used a couple/few washers on the outer side of the bolts to make sure they wouldnt touch the rotor.

Comment

Wrong side and upside down. Thanks Scott for thinking of me, I don't have much time just checking in quick.

The bracket goes on the outside. The small round spacer Goes between the caliper and the bracket where that super long bolt is sticking out the other one needs a nut on it.

Check clearances after fit.

Merry Christmas!
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Will this mod work with L forks ( leading axle) ????

Comment

Hacked, you'll be better advised if you either PM Salty_Monk directly or read through his twinpot thread. I thought I saw something with another bike where the L's won't work but I don't know for sure.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Scott, this is what the setup should look like. I am using my own brackets though. And CBR900 Fireblade discs.

Comment

Scott,

Don's setup is different. DO NOT copy the pictures above as you will have all sorts of clearance issues with the rotors that you are using.
                      Bracket goes on the OUTSIDE not the inside like Don's pics show.

It should look like this:

Here it is using the 550 rotors like you have:

These are all the parts you need for your setup... You don't need to use the large round rotor spacers/drill jigs when you use the 550 Rotors.

You can use the stock bolts with loctite (I have some if you're having probs finding some, they are 10mm x 1.25mm thread. This is a fine thread.) Stock are 40mm. If you want to use lock washers get 45mm ones.

You can see in this picture below that the round caliper spacer is lined up below the hole that you place it behind (it goes between the bracket & the caliper). You can just about see it fitted in the picture above.

Don't forget to cut down your speedo drive dust cover about 4-5mm

When you've finished the install turn the wheel by hand to check it spins easily as it should & check carefully for clearance.
                      Last edited by salty_monk; 01-15-2012, 01:39 AM.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks again all. I had all that the last time you told me Dan but I think someone else has having a question about the L models and brought this back.

I'm hoping to get my forks and these brakes back on by Monday. I had to run down to Apex this afternoon as my Suzuki banjo bolts don't work. Suzuki's bolts are 10x1.0mm and Kawasaki bolts are 10x1.25; fortunately a mechanic had two he gave me for free since the store didn't have any.

Course if I can get this alternator rotor figured out I'll be happy. Need to post some more pictures of it.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          Thanks again all. I had all that the last time you told me Dan but I think someone else has having a question about the L models and brought this back.

I'm hoping to get my forks and these brakes back on by Monday. I had to run down to Apex this afternoon as my Suzuki banjo bolts don't work. Suzuki's bolts are 10x1.0mm and Kawasaki bolts are 10x1.25; fortunately a mechanic had two he gave me for free since the store didn't have any.

Course if I can get this alternator rotor figured out I'll be happy. Need to post some more pictures of it.
                          Ok that's good. I just didn't want you to be confused by Don's pics

This mod does not work on L models. You need E forks to use the brackets I have. L ones would need to be different.....

The Banjo bolts are mostly to do with it being later model calipers not Kawa V Suzuki. Most modern bikes use the 10x1.25. I have a bunch of spares of both those & the caliper bolts if anyone ever needs some....
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I did not mean to misinform anyone with my pics, they were intended to show the calipers installed the correct way up, that is all. As Scott had his mounted upside down. It depends what discs you are using and their offset as to how you mount the caliper to align with the disc.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                              Scott, this is what the setup should look like. I am using my own brackets though. And CBR900 Fireblade discs.

Wow.I love this. Is there anyone who could advise me which models / years this can be sourced from ?

Comment

Working...
                              X