Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drag bars?

I was thinking of ordering a set of drag bars from Z1:
    Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Two reasons, first so that more acceleration force is transferred to my butt instead of my arms.
    And second better at speed because of being less upright.
    Am I on the right track?

Yes, you are. Ray.

Comment

I'm over 6 feet, so drag bars are just right for me (on a 550).

Comment

I'm right at 6 ft tall, and drag bars are perfect for me on my 550. They look a lot better than the stock bars, too.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I am 6'2" with long arms, at times I am even leaned back while riding.
          ~2.5" less rise doesnt seem like a lot but I bet it makes a big difference.

Comment

The mirrors on the bike are the original ones and are useless at highway speed so I am thinking of getting mirrors too. Is it true that bar end mirrors vibrate less than the standard mount ones? I like the napolean ones the best I think. If they dont vibrate less then I guess I will just get new type standard ones.

Comment

I put some bar end mirrors on both of my Katana's and love them. They vibrate way less and actually give a useful field of view behind me. Highly recommend them even though they effectively make your bars about 6" wider....

Comment

I found a set of BikeMaster Drag Bar Handlebars.
                A few sites list the specs as 28" width, 3.84" rise, 0" pullback, 5.6" center
                Isnt it supposed to be 0" rise 3.84" pullback??
                I mean you just rotate them, but why make it confusing like that??

Comment

I have a set of the Z1 drag bars on my 750.
                  -bike looks badass
                  -more control
                  -more natural for long arms

The only downside, is riding corners, you become dangerously top heavy if you don't lean Into the bike properly. So some posture adjustment Must be made.

Drag bars have ZERO rise.

The bars Will fit on some GS bikes with no risers.
                  (they easily clear my 82 650g)

But it's an extremely tight fit on my 78 750EC, the throttle cables will curl out, and your Left grip might hang a little bit off of the bar,
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2012, 04:07 PM.

Comment

A very good idea. I bought the Euro-style bars from Bikemaster, with about a 2" rise. I wish I'd bought the flat drag bar instead. I need to get about 3" lower to avoid the thunderous buffeting from my windshield. I'm even considering lowering the seat a couple of inches to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                      But it's an extremely tight fit on my 78 750EC, the throttle cables will curl out, and your Left grip might hang a little bit off of the bar,
                      Shorter cables will help drag bars fit a lot better, and look less dorky (long looping cables)

You can use 79 1000 S throttle cables on your 750, dunno about the clutch
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Without rearsets, I find drag bars to be a little too low, but I am also 6'4"...

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
                          Without rearsets, I find drag bars to be a little too low, but I am also 6'4"...
                          Well, I am 6'2" with long arms. The main reason for going to drag bars to transfer more acceleration force to my butt instead of my arms, less so for appearance and somewhat for less windblast at higher speeds. Might get a sore back
                          I thought of rearsets but I dont think I could have a passenger with them.

Comment

Hey "big T" what about brake lines? ( sorry to get a little off subject) but I just got a set of drag bars for my 550 and want to shorten up the brake line by about 3-4" where can I get one that will fit the master cylinder and the caliper?

Comment

Best to just make your own, http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...-ends.html#A03

Comment

Working...
                              X