Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternate Carbs for 1983 GS550E

Hey All,
    I've got a project 1983 GS550E that is going to be a Cafe project.
    I plan on putting the dreaded pod filters and chop the exhaust etc.

Right now the stock carbs are on it and I'm finding it challenging to source the jet kit and rebuild kit for the carbs.

Does anybody know a set of carbs that might fit on the bike, be easier to source parts and perhaps be "easy" to tune?

As I write this I feel like I'm asking for the magical unicorn but its worth a shot?

Thanks for any input ya'll!

Originally posted by ejether View Post
    Hey All,
    I've got a project 1983 GS550E that is going to be a Cafe project.
    I plan on putting the dreaded pod filters and chop the exhaust etc.

Right now the stock carbs are on it and I'm finding it challenging to source the jet kit and rebuild kit for the carbs.

Does anybody know a set of carbs that might fit on the bike, be easier to source parts and perhaps be "easy" to tune?

As I write this I feel like I'm asking for the magical unicorn but its worth a shot?

Thanks for any input ya'll!
    How far along are you with this project? does the bike run as is?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sorry to say, you are. These are one of the only bikes to have two carbs "siamesed" together in a pair (i.e. 4 carbs total). The siamesed carbs have special intake boots and the port spacing on the head is different to accomodate them. A regular rack of carbs won't fit.

You might be able to fabricate special intakes that would allow for the installation of normal CV carbs but I've never seen it done and it likely would be cost prohibitive. I think you have to stick with what you have. When cleaned and tuned, they run as well as any other set and apart from being cojoined they are no different than other sets.

I believe carb parts are still available from Suz and I would think our friends at Z1 Enterprises can get stuff too. I shouldn't think you'd have a problem.

Welcome aboard by the way.

Cheers,
      spyug

Comment

The easiest way to put on non standard carbs on your bike would be to use something like Amal Mk2s or 4 separate Mikuni VMs or similar. Wouldn't be cheap as you would probably have to buy all new. Rare for a set of 4 to come up secondhand.

I would go the route suggested by Spyug unless you're committed to a project.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          How far along are you with this project? does the bike run as is?
          Not far along, exhaust has been chopped.
          I was about to pull the carbs, clean and jet them but couldn't find any rebuild kits. I could find one jet kit but the lack of readily available parts makes me wonder about other options.

It was running pretty well before I parked it to work on it. Even then, it had a few carb stumbles though and I'm sure being parked for 6 months hasn't helped. It still has the stock air box, but I'd really like to go with pods.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
            Sorry to say, you are.
            I figured, was just hoping against hope

I believe carb parts are still available from Suz and I would think our friends at Z1 Enterprises can get stuff too. I shouldn't think you'd have a problem.
            I'll try Z1, I was hoping for a kit, not having to buy piecemail.

Welcome aboard by the way.
            Thanks!

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi MR. ejether,

It might do you well to pick up an O-ring kit from http://cycleorings.com to use in your rebuild. You might have a few left over but it's an inexpensive kit. No need for inferior "carb kits". Just clean (properly!) what you have and reassemble with new O-rings. Although with adding pod filters (don't cheap out with the EMGO pods!) and chopping the exhaust, you'll have a good time turning the carbs. You'll have to go up at least 4 sizes on the mains, maybe up one size on the pilots, and shim the needles. I see plug chops in your future. Check with Dynojet to see if they make a stage 3 kit for that bike. It might make your life easier. It is always "best practice" to start with a stock configuration, get that running well, and modify from there. Good luck.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 01-06-2012, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I'm wondering if you could swap heads to one that takes CVs? They go for next to nothing on ebay and wouldn't be too hard of a change. Could probably find a deal on engine and carbs. It's worth a shot trying to figure something out if you are really against the siamese'd carbs.
                1978 GS550 E
                673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
                New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
                for playing in the dirt

Comment

Originally posted by ejether View Post
                  Not far along, exhaust has been chopped.

It was running pretty well before I parked it to work on it. Even then, I had a few carb stumbles though and I'm sure being parked for 6 months hasn't helped. It still has the stock air box, but I'd really like to go with pods.
                  If you got patience, proceed- but this model might not be a good candidate for your goals. How about cleaning carbs, getting it running well, and selling it to some guy who wants it stock? You'll learn alot towards a easier model to work with.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

About 2 years ago, I sold the very LAST set of pods that K&N had for those carbs. Good luck. Ray.

Comment

If you can source the K&N filters that go in the airbox (they are still out there) you can cut apart the airbox and it will act very similar to the pods.

if you need a jet kit, heck dyno-jet still makes them and they are really easy to install.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                        About 2 years ago, I sold the very LAST set of pods that K&N had for those carbs. Good luck. Ray.
                        Do you remember the part number by chance? I might be able to find a set on eBay

Originally posted by boontonmike View Post
                        I'm wondering if you could swap heads to one that takes CVs? They go for next to nothing on ebay and wouldn't be too hard of a change. Could probably find a deal on engine and carbs. It's worth a shot trying to figure something out if you are really against the siamese'd carbs.
                        I'm not against the siamese carbs, jut the lack of parts available.
                        Pulling off heads is going to be more than I want to do...

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                        Hi MR. ejether,

It might do you well to pick up an O-ring kit from http://cycleorings.com to use in your rebuild. You might have a few left over but it's an inexpensive kit. No need for inferior "carb kits". Just clean (properly!) what you have and reassemble with new O-rings. Although with adding pod filters (don't cheap out with the EMGO pods!) and chopping the exhaust, you'll have a good time turning the carbs. You'll have to go up at least 4 sizes on the mains, maybe up one size on the pilots, and shim the needles. I see plug chops in your future. Check with Dynojet to see if they make a stage 3 kit for that bike. It might make your life easier. It is always "best practice" to start with a stock configuration, get that running well, and modify from there. Good luck.
                        BassCliff
                        There is a jet kit out there that I'll pickup. I forget if its dynajet and stage 3, but it will have an adjustable needle so its a good place to start.

I've gotten an oring kit from there before, and I will do it again for this project.

The bike starting point was already a little 'fightered out so I'm going to try and stick with it.

Game plan as it is now:

Forget about swapping carbs,
                        Clean and jet the silly siamese carbs,
                        Get it close with the chopped exhaust and then switch to pods.
                        Get really frustrated tuning with the pods.
                        Eventually get it close having spent more time and money than I wanted to but still not feeling like its quite right
                        Find a new project

Thanks ya'll for your input!

Comment

Dynojet stage 2 kits are available and I think they are optimized for use with this filter

You could also cut away the airbox so that only the interface between the filter and intake runners is left.

it would be a strange looking affair but it would be work.

You cannot get needles or emulsion tubes for this bike from the OEM.
                          Th O-rings for the carbs as well as the intake boots are available form Robert Barr but you will indeed have 2x the o-rings needed for internals. Not a bad thing really.

Wiseco made pistons once upon a time but I have never seen them on ebay or anywhere.
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                            Dynojet stage 2 kits are available and I think they are optimized for use with this filter

You could also cut away the airbox so that only the interface between the filter and intake runners is left.

it would be a strange looking affair but it would be work.
                            Since I'm really going for the look of the pods, and tuning is easier with the airbox intact, I'm not going to cut up the air box.

Could spacers , or velocity stacks between he filter and the carb mitigate the negative effects of the pod filters?

Comment

Working...
                            X