Removing a rear shock spring without special tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing a rear shock spring without special tools

Think I seen this "trick" here but not sure where.

A couple of ratchet straps threaded though the spring.A few cranks and the spring is down enough to remove the top retainer.

A spring can easily tear your face off. Those cheap straps are rated at 1000 pounds. I am not sure what the spring exerts at the compression needed to do a repair but be damned careful.

I once did a backyard strut spring removal and almost got killed.

Comment

I was trying a few myself.Good point on not leaving them compressed.Didn't

as they all wandered past my buffer

Comment

Great idea and extremely safe way to go about it!
        With them "caged" like that, and using at least ten times the required breaking strength capacity restraints, very safe!

Daniel

Comment

Hmmm, a ton of energy continued by something from Harbor Fright should never be considered safe.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Hmmm, a ton of energy continued by something from Harbor Fright should never be considered safe.
            Harbor Freight?What's that?Do you think just paying more makes things better?Bet most of these are made by the same factory in China.

Comment

I just got an assistant (my eldest son) to slip the keepers in while I compressed my Progressive HD springs with my (gloved of course) hands. Perhaps I have gorilla grip, maybe...

Comment

Suggest not aiming a compressed spring at anyone.Realistically the spring rate of a motorcycle is well within the rating of 2 of these straps.Would NOT use this on a car spring!

Comment

Just for the record, I had special ordered a Snap-on 2 and 7/16" socket for a project at work that required 2500 foot pounds of torque to be tight and to spec.
                  When it came time to do the job, the Snap on 6-point HD socket broke!!!
                  Good thing that I happened to have a cheapo HF 2 and 7/16" 12-point socket to finish the job!
                  The Snap-on dealer was less than happy with the results and ordered a replacement for the over-priced socket.

Daniel

Comment

You don't even need tie straps to do this. A bit of rope and a stick. make a loop round the springs pop the stick in the loop and twist away, garotte style. Nice and safe too - just make sure the stick doesn't spin round and catch you in the knackers.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                      I was trying a few myself.Good point on not leaving them compressed.Didn't as they all wandered past my buffer
                      I see that "problem" exists somewhere besides mygarage.

I usually 'trip' while carrying some aluminum bits and catch myself by using the buffer.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

+1 on the spanish windlass. I use some clamps to hold the "stick" or piece of metal.

My 550 manual suggests two tire irons to force the spring down.
                        GS Score Card
                        4-400 Series GS's
                        3-500 Series
                        1-600 Series
                        1-700 Series
                        4-800 Series
                        1-1000 Series
                        2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                        sigpic

Comment

How did you get them off?
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            I see that "problem" exists somewhere besides mygarage.

I usually 'trip' while carrying some aluminum bits and catch myself by using the buffer.

No Steve you are not the only one with the "problem".Don't do as much as you but I do like it.

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                            How did you get them off?
                            Threaded them though the springs.When released you get the cam to where you unthread it and pull it out.

Comment

Remeber I couldn't remember where I'd seen this done?It was at my friend Aaron's,credit where it's due.
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-15-2012, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X