No announcement yet.

Removing a rear shock spring without special tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that is a great idea and even better that the spring compressors you can buy. How much force did the ratchet require to pull down on the spring at bottom?

Comment

gret job with cleaning them, nice and shiny, i gotta do that to mine, thanx for the tip

Comment

I have tried that and it work very well and smooth. You don't have too compress them so much to unlock the shocks. Those straps are strong enaugh to do that job.Again pretty easy and felt safe to me.Imo

Comment

Yes, thanks a lot for the tip. I was going to take them to a dealer to get the springs off but I'll do that right now.

Comment

Lurch posted the pics of his homemade garage/foundation separator, uh I mean spring compressor

Comment

I took the springs off and starting getting the rust off. Then I thought I'd see if I could push the shock in with the spring off just to see if they are still good. Was able to push them all the way in and they wouldn't come out on their own...I had to pull them out. I guess I won't be using them after all.

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
                Lurch posted the pics of his homemade garage/foundation separator, uh I mean spring compressor

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ghlight=spring
                Lurch is a clever sort . I wonder if his garage is still attached to the foundation though .

Comment

Originally posted by Tech73 View Post
                  I took the springs off and starting getting the rust off. Then I thought I'd see if I could push the shock in with the spring off just to see if they are still good. Was able to push them all the way in and they wouldn't come out on their own...I had to pull them out. I guess I won't be using them after all.
                  When I get mine off, I'm going to try that and see. I don't think they are much good though.

Comment

Tech...that's the way a shock is supposed to work If they come OUT without any resistance that's when they are bad. The spring takes most of the UP pressure when you hit a bump or hole. The resistance coming out ( swing arm going toward the road again ) keeps it from bouncing the tire.
                    Last edited by chuck hahn; 08-01-2013, 08:05 AM.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                    X